Bengals, LaFell closing in on a deal

Bengals, LaFell closing in on a deal

Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2016, 6:00 AM EDT
Brandon LaFellAP

The Bengals have lost receivers Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones to free agency. Soon, they likely will be adding a replacement.

Per a league source, the Bengals and Brandon LaFell are closing in on striking a deal that would place the veteran wideout in Cincinnati.

LaFell, cut by the Patriots after a relatively disappointing 2015 season, spent four years with the Panthers and two in New England. He maxed out with 957 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2014.

With receiver A.J. Green and tight end Tyler Eifert on the field, LaFell can benefit significantly from the attention paid to those players, and perhaps be a significant contributor in the Cincinnati offense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/23/bengals-lafell-closing-in-on-a-deal/

I like it (if they do in fact sign him).  Who would you have preferred at this point?

There really isn't much in the market or in the draft (that I think we have a realistic shot at) tbh, so i'm ok with it just wish we weren't stuck in this position.

All things considered, this guy is at least an experienced, fairly reliable, OK, receiver. I am not foreseeing him being on the field more than as a rotation with the rookie(s) drafted. Then again, maybe he will be on the field a lot--and produce something. 

Would rather have SOME option, other than attempting to rely on the unproven WR scrap currently on the roster.     

There really isn't much in the market or in the draft (that I think we have a realistic shot at) tbh, so i'm ok with it just wish we weren't stuck in this position.

Actually, I think the talent in the draft falls right in our draft position. The problem with this year's crop is that there are no polished "can't miss" guys that we wouldn't have had a shot at anyway, and supposedly the talent falls off after the top few. We should have a good shot at one of the top guys where we draft in 1.

If we want to look at this from an optimistic POV, what LaFell did in 2014 is pretty similar to what Marvin did last year if you scale the targets to match each other.  He's not the deep threat Marvin is, but another big bodied target.

Not to worry, there's plenty of room for both a washed-up veteran and a rookie liability or two to underperform at the position.

Or God forbid they come in and perform better than expected.  What if LaFell returns to 2014 form?  He's only one season removed from that for shit sake. 

This offense was able to get production out of guys like Hawk, Caldwell, Simpson and even Sanu really (never was huge on him).  You're not asking any of these guys to come in and be #1 or really even the #2 option.  AJ Green just makes everyone's life easier on the outside.  They'll retool, reload and be just fine at wideout.

Or God forbid they come in and perform better than expected.  What if LaFell returns to 2014 form?  He's only one season removed from that for shit sake. 

This offense was able to get production out of guys like Hawk, Caldwell, Simpson and even Sanu really (never was huge on him).  You're not asking any of these guys to come in and be #1 or really even the #2 option.  AJ Green just makes everyone's life easier on the outside.  They'll retool, reload and be just fine at wideout.

koolaid.jpg

:D

As I said before, signing a cheap WR could just be draft strategy. So they don't look as desperate at WR. There's a chance he doesn't end up on the final 53. Same with Tate. There may also be decent WR vets from training camp cuts to choose from. I'll trust them to sort it out.

Sweet....the guy is 6'2 and runs a 4.6....never had 1,000 yard season in college or pros....and has never had more than 8 TDs in a season (Junior year).  I would think there are better options...

Have a little perspective.  Marvin Jones' year last year compared to LaFell's 2014.  That's all you're trying to replace:  Hmmmm....

PlayerYearAgeTmGGSTgtRecYdsY/RTDLngR/GY/G
Marvin Jones201525CIN16131036581612.64474.151
Brandon LaFell201428NWE16131197495312.97564.659.6

Archived