Should conservative churches be forced to perform gay weddings?

Jason

Gay Weddings  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should conservative churches be forced to perform gay weddings?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What if there are liberal churches in the area willing to do it, should conservative churches be forced?

• Yes
    • No

x2

Interesting that there are conservative & liberal churches now, though.  Where do the Episcopalians stand on immigration reform?

its kind of always been that way, i mean you didnt think the Reverend Al Sharpton or Reverend Jessie Jackson were conservative did you? (their issues as people not withstanding)

non-issue because nobody is even suggesting it

Yet.

Georgia tried to pass a law saying churches did not have to perform gay weddings and the governor vetoed it because the NFL was threatening to pull the Super Bowl.

Yet.

Georgia tried to pass a law saying churches did not have to perform gay weddings and the governor vetoed it because the NFL was threatening to pull the Super Bowl.

Yeah thats not talking about churches its talking about businesses

http://politics.blog.ajc.com/2016/03/28/breaking-nathan-deal-will-veto-georgias-religious-liberty-bill/

Did you read the bill?

2015-2016 Regular Session - HB 757
Domestic relations; religious officials shall not be required to perform marriage ceremonies in violation of their legal right; provide

http://www.legis.ga.gov/Legislation/en-US/display/20152016/HB/757

1. To protect religious freedoms; to provide for defenses and relief related thereto; to amend

2. 2  Chapter 3 of Title 19 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to marriage

3. 3  generally, so as to provide that religious officials shall not be required to perform marriage

4. 4  ceremonies, perform rites, or administer sacraments in violation of their legal right to free

5. 5  exercise of religion;  

Once again you miss the point. That bill is putting in language to protect churches from being required to hold those ceremonies, but nobody is trying to get them to do so, its a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. 

Yet.

yea, like everything else involved in church, the only thing that truly matters in the end is getting the money.

its kind of always been that way, i mean you didnt think the Reverend Al Sharpton or Reverend Jessie Jackson were conservative did you? (their issues as people not withstanding)

Sharpton & Jackson are individuals with their own political ambitions or at least self-promoting.  Point being, they are not religions. 

The various brands of Christianity are collections of myth & dogma largely based on semantic differences in an ancient text that has been poorly translated from dead languages. Modern scripture is like that whisper game "telephone" where the source is lost to us.  Any conservative or liberal leanings at this point are consequences of the self-serving interpretations cherry-picked by their various followers, their own personal political agenda superimposed on their religion, usually in an effort to legitimize their own bigotry.

Obviously there are crazy people (ie exceptions) but overwhelmingly gay/lesbians have absolutely no desire to force anyone to marry them. And why would they want to? There are plenty of churches who are more than happy to marry them if it's legal.

A vast majority of gay/lesbian people are simply people like everyone else, who are in no way activists. They simply want to live their lives with the same civil rights and protections as anyone else. The only reason they object to "civil unions" is the same reason other minorities object to other "separate but equal" arrangements. Separate has never been equal.

Sharpton & Jackson are individuals with their own political ambitions or at least self-promoting.  Point being, they are not religions. 

The various brands of Christianity are collections of myth & dogma largely based on semantic differences in an ancient text that has been poorly translated from dead languages. Modern scripture is like that whisper game "telephone" where the source is lost to us.  Any conservative or liberal leanings at this point are consequences of the self-serving interpretations cherry-picked by their various followers, their own personal political agenda superimposed on their religion, usually in an effort to legitimize their own bigotry.

While I dont disagree that people bring their own biases (and sometimes bigotry) into their interpretations, there are serious scholars on these subjects that do scholarly work that find themselves at disagreements.

Obviously there are crazy people (ie exceptions) but overwhelmingly gay/lesbians have absolutely no desire to force anyone to marry them. And why would they want to? There are plenty of churches who are more than happy to marry them if it's legal.

A vast majority of gay/lesbian people are simply people like everyone else, who are in no way activists. They simply want to live their lives with the same civil rights and protections as anyone else. The only reason they object to "civil unions" is the same reason other minorities object to other "separate but equal" arrangements. Separate has never been equal.

Then why do gays and lesbians want to force Christian bakers to make them a cake when there were plenty of other bakeries more than willing to do so?

Once again you miss the point. That bill is putting in language to protect churches from being required to hold those ceremonies, but nobody is trying to get them to do so, its a solution to a problem that doesnt exist. 

It hasn't happened yet.  Doesn't mean it won't.  It's not a marriage, but the church I go to also runs a Christian school, and they have gotten calls about starting LGBT clubs in the church.

Then why do gays and lesbians want to force Christian bakers to make them a cake when there were plenty of other bakeries more than willing to do so?

Are you trying to equate a bakery to a Church in regards to separation from government? Refusing to bake someone a cake is different than refusing to perform a marriage. Where do we draw the line? Do we have "NO GAYS ALLOWED" signs in supermarkets and burger joints?

Why didn't the black men just go to a different lunch counter instead of Woolworth's? I can only imagine they felt there were more important things at stake beyond shitty deli sandwiches.

If a church or anyone else is against gay people being married based off of religious beliefs.

Then I would have to assume they either know nothing about the Bible or cherry pick it to suit their beliefs.

Some of the most highly regarded characters had multiple wives. Some had concubines.

Some had sex slaves. 

As far as the Bible saying being gay was bad. It also says when my Brother died and never had a son, I was supposed

to move his wife in to my house and have sex with her until she gave birth to a son. It says eating shellfish is abomination.

It also talks in disdain about divorce, But yet not many "Conservative" churches say they won't marry couples that have been divorced.

So if you're against gay people and ignore all the other stuff just remember, the Bible calls people like that hypocrites.

If you don't like gay people, think it's sick and wrong. Just say so. But don't stand on your Bible as justification.

If a church or anyone else is against gay people being married based off of religious beliefs.

Then I would have to assume they either know nothing about the Bible or cherry pick it to suit their beliefs.

Some of the most highly regarded characters had multiple wives. Some had concubines.

Some had sex slaves. 

As far as the Bible saying being gay was bad. It also says when my Brother died and never had a son, I was supposed

to move his wife in to my house and have sex with her until she gave birth to a son. It says eating shellfish is abomination.

It also talks in disdain about divorce, But yet not many "Conservative" churches say they won't marry couples that have been divorced.

So if you're against gay people and ignore all the other stuff just remember, the Bible calls people like that hypocrites.

If you don't like gay people, think it's sick and wrong. Just say so. But don't stand on your Bible as justification.

could have stopped right there.. but I agree with your entire post...

Archived