2016 Season Thread

JC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/07/28/the-reds-joey-votto-is-the-super-villain-baseball-needs/

Some may say he’s being a jerk here, but I won’t. Baseball is supposed to be a fun game, and Votto is doing what he can to make baseball fun again (minus the hat).

“A high percentage of the guys and ladies and kids on the first-base side were smiling and laughing,” Votto said after the Phillies game. “Fair game. I happened to pop in during the game and on TV the theme was I didn’t give a ball to a kid, which is definitely not the case. I made a point to not give a ball to an adult that was giving me a hard time. So be it.”

Asked for his response to fans who think he’s over the line here, Votto was succinct: “Too bad.”

And then he finished with a flourish.

“I have no problems with any of the Philly fans, except for the Philly fan kids,” he said, smiling. “I can’t stand kids here. Kids drive me crazy, Philly fans especially.”

On 7/27/2016 at 5:13 PM, Elflocko said:

I already find Cubs fans (mostly) insufferable; if they win it all they'll become as bad as Red Sox fans... 

nope.  cubs fans will be worse.  mark it down.

23 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

better than STL winning.

debatable.

27 minutes ago, CincyInDC said:

nope.  cubs fans will be worse.  mark it down.

debatable.

Chris Carpenter is 1000x worse than anyone to ever wear a Cubs jersey.  Then add in Larussa and Yadier and others and it is a landslide.

The Cubs fans are annoying but they don't call themselves the Best Fans In Baseball. The Cubs team doesn't whine and cry about everything. The Cards are always bitching and crying about EVERYTHING. Joe Maddon is actually a likeable guy.

1 hour ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Chris Carpenter is 1000x worse than anyone to ever wear a Cubs jersey.  Then add in Larussa and Yadier and others and it is a landslide.

The Cubs fans are annoying but they don't call themselves the Best Fans In Baseball. The Cubs team doesn't whine and cry about everything. The Cards are always bitching and crying about EVERYTHING. Joe Maddon is actually a likeable guy.

I don't think I could dislike Molina more if he played for the stealers. 

Doesn't sound like Cozart is going anywhere before the deadline. Bruce market hasn't been great either. We desperately need to try and move Jay while his value is high since he is so streaky. It will probably never be higher than now. Really liking what Senzel and Winker might bring to this team in the next few years. Just need to get some pitching to complement them. Billy has strung together a nice past ten games as well. If he and Peraza can continue to get on base and we can play some small ball, we could turn it around.

25 minutes ago, VonBlade said:

Holy shit Jay Bruce too. Have we got anyone left? Cozart and Votto and... the first 7 fans to arrive at the park?

Not done yet. Medical concerns over one of the Mets prospects. 

• 2 weeks later...

The offense has been decent enough to be competitive. The problem is the pitching, specifically relief. They've given up the 2nd most runs in all MLB. Can't be competitive with that.

Desclafani, Strailey, and Finnegan show real promise. Reed and Lamb not so much so far.

If the young arms take a step forward next year and we get some bullpen help, we might be able to stay close to a wild card. This is the Cubs division for the next couple years.

23 hours ago, Jason said:

If Billy Hamilton doesn't win the Gold Glove this year something is drastically wrong. 

Right? He's made at least one "Holy Shit!" play in each of the last 3 games (at least according to my twitter feed... 

30 minutes ago, Elflocko said:

Right? He's made at least one "Holy Shit!" play in each of the last 3 games (at least according to my twitter feed... 

He has made 3 catches this year that I'd put among the 10 best I've ever seen. 

Archived