If the First 23 Picks fall like this Part 2

I am a member of the FootballsFuture message board.  Every year I do a forum by forum mock draft where I ask the fans of each team to make their pick. This is the result of the first 23.  So who do you want? 

Titans - Laremy Tunsil 
Browns - Jared Goff 
Chargers - Jalen Ramsey 
Cowboys - Joey Bosa 
Jaguars - Myles Jack 
Ravens - Ronnie Stanley 
49ers - DeForest Buckner 
Eagles - Carson Wentz 
Bucs - Vernon Hargreaves 
Giants - Ezekiel Elliot 
Bears - A'Shawn Robinson 
Saints - Shaq Lawson 
Dolphins - Jack Conklin 
Oakland - Sheldon Rankins 
Rams - Paxton Lynch 
Lions - Reggie Ragland 
Falcons - Leonard Floyd 
Colts - Shilique Calhoun 
Bills - Andrew Billings 
Jets - Noah Spence 
Redskins - LaQuan Treadwell 
Texans - Corey Coleman
Vikings - Josh Doctson

BPA or trade down, depending on how the Bengals board looks.  If they have one of the remaining defensive front seven players ranked significantly above the rest of the pack, they should go ahead and take him.  Or if they really like Will Fuller (I don't, but they might disagree) and consider him in the running for BPA, then go ahead and take him.  But if they don't like any of the remaining WR and don't see a strong BPA, then they should trade down and get an extra pick. 

Darron Lee, Vernon Butler, or trade down.

I could see them considering Kevin Dodd here, as well. To me, he's more of a strong side LDE, but the Bengals look for different things out of their DEs, even their weak side DEs, wanting guys that aren't as quick twitched (edge benders) and more in the oversized (play the run first) mode. Kevin Dodd probably checks off all the boxes for them as a weak side guy, I'd imagine.

Darron Lee, Vernon Butler, or trade down.

I could see them considering Kevin Dodd here, as well. To me, he's more of a strong side LDE, but the Bengals look for different things out of their DEs, even their weak side DEs, wanting guys that aren't as quick twitched (edge benders) and more in the oversized (play the run first) mode. Kevin Dodd probably checks off all the boxes for them as a weak side guy, I'd imagine.

While I agree with your take, I wonder if the Bengals might be in the market for something different at DE.

We have both Dunlap and Michael Johnson under contract for until 2019. The Bengals love both, especially on early downs and both are very good against the run. Seems like it would make sense if they are looking for a #3 DE who can rotate in to try to add a guy who is more of a pure pass rusher. Somebody with speed who can bend the edge. Not sure if they are thinking this way or not, but if so I could see them going away from the 6'6 280 pound body type and getting a 250 pound speed rusher to compliment their top 2. 

My hope DE-wise is that Calhoun is still there at 55, or the small school kid.

Yeah, definitely like Calhoun and I think he'd be a different style player who could add something to the rotation. I've seen him go 1st round in some mocks and then also seen him in the 3rd round of other mocks. So who knows where he ends up in the draft. 

There are at least 20 DL that look pretty good and it seems the deepest position in the draft by far. Mentioned this before, but I'd love to see us add a big-time WR in the first round and then double up on DL on day two. With the DL depth/talent this year, there should be potential difference-makers even in rounds 2 and 3. 

While I agree with your take, I wonder if the Bengals might be in the market for something different at DE.

We have both Dunlap and Michael Johnson under contract for until 2019. The Bengals love both, especially on early downs and both are very good against the run. Seems like it would make sense if they are looking for a #3 DE who can rotate in to try to add a guy who is more of a pure pass rusher. Somebody with speed who can bend the edge. Not sure if they are thinking this way or not, but if so I could see them going away from the 6'6 280 pound body type and getting a 250 pound speed rusher to compliment their top 2. 

I'd love to see it! I've been wanting them to do that, specifically that, for years.

Jaylon Smith.Before his injury,was best player in draft.Kind of like how they got Cedric Ogbuehi last year.Let him sit for a year and get healthy,and you have a future  pro-bowl OLB.

Jaylon Smith.Before his injury,was best player in draft.Kind of like how they got Cedric Ogbuehi last year.Let him sit for a year and get healthy,and you have a future  pro-bowl OLB.

I see people make the Smith-Ogbuehi comparison a lot, but it's a completely different situation. With Ogbuehi, it was just a standard ACL tear that 99% of guys come back from just fine and it checked out fine at the combine. Everyone knew he was going to come back 100% within 5-6 months after the draft.

Smith has nerve damage which is a completely different deal. He might never come back. And if he does, he's probably never going to be the same player he was prior to the injury. The risk/reward just doesn't make sense in round 1. Same with Marcus Lattimore. Maybe you roll the dice in the mid-rounds and hope he's 80% of what he was within a year or two. But first round? I can't see it. 

I see people make the Smith-Ogbuehi comparison a lot, but it's a completely different situation. With Ogbuehi, it was just a standard ACL tear that 99% of guys come back from just fine and it checked out fine at the combine. Everyone knew he was going to come back 100% within 5-6 months after the draft.

Smith has nerve damage which is a completely different deal. He might never come back. And if he does, he's probably never going to be the same player he was prior to the injury. The risk/reward just doesn't make sense in round 1. Same with Marcus Lattimore. Maybe you roll the dice in the mid-rounds and hope he's 80% of what he was within a year or two. But first round? I can't see it. 

Did not realize the injury was that serious.That being the case,i would go with M.Thomas,D.Lee,then Floyd.

Archived