If the First 23 Picks fall like this Part 2

Alice...it isn't often that I disagree with you, but this would certainly be one. NO THANKS on this under performing, lack of effort, habitual drug using, nightmare of a player. Everything about him screams to a high potential to revert back to his past once he receives that big pay day. Too much risk....not near enough actual play time reward.

There's definitely a great deal of risk involved here, but Robert Nkemdiche is the real deal.  If - and I know it's a big "if" - he plays to his potential, he's Top 5 in the league defensive lineman along the lines of a Ndamukong Suh, J.J. Watt, or Geno Atkins.  Even as a freshman, one-on-one, he was legitimately unblockable.  "Special athlete" gets thrown around too often.  Nkemdiche really is one.  

Anyone who says he's a knucklehead is wrong.  I'd describe him more as "an entitled asshole".  I'd still snatch him up at 24, though.  In a hot second.  

Nkemdiche is a weird dude. Read the article yesterday about him wanting to get a panther as the first thing he buys after getting drafted...

Also read the cincinnati.com article following Zeitler around for a week of his off-season training (8 hour days of workout, massage acupuncture, crazy healthy diet, etc.). Gave me even more perspective on what it really takes to excel in the NFL and just how focused and dedicated these guys have to be. Mentioning that here, because while there's nothing wrong with Nkemdiche being into weird religious stuff, jazz, pet panthers, etc. it does seem like a lot of that would be a distraction and take away from the preparation he'd need to become great like Geno. 

He's a major talent though and exactly the type of player I'd love to see next to Geno. The reward is huge so maybe it is worth the risk of taking a flaky 21 year old weirdo.

Archived