Buzz: Bengals Ownership Growing Impatient with HC Lewis

Thinking about the talent that was possibly squandered over these past 12 years makes me ill, so I prefer not to. Marv will be here as long as he wants to be, sadly I've come to terms with that. The final straw (in my opinion) should have been the home playoff loss to SD.

In the 7 trips to the playoffs, how many times did we have a team good enough that we should have advanced? Remember that only 8 teams advance beyond wild card round each year. In 2005 and 2015, I would argue we were definitely top 8 (probably top 5), and we had our starting QB go down both times. 2013 (home loss to SD) we were good on D but Andy was still mediocre. I think we were probably the 5th to 10th best team in 2013. Each of the other 4 years, I would argue that we were not a top 8 team.

Personally I'm less pissed off about the playoff loss this year than years past. It was more heartbreaking this year, but we fought back in the 2nd half. When in the previous 6 games did we do anything but melt down in the second half? I can't even be pissed at Burfict--without him we're not even in the game in the 4th quarter.

I think Marvin's game management skills are terrible, but a head coach can't be great at everything. He attracts excellent assistant coaches, and he has played a big role in putting together a talented roster. I think we can win a Super Bowl with Marvin as HC. Is he any worse than Dungy was?

In the 7 trips to the playoffs, how many times did we have a team good enough that we should have advanced? Remember that only 8 teams advance beyond wild card round each year. In 2005 and 2015, I would argue we were definitely top 8 (probably top 5), and we had our starting QB go down both times. 2013 (home loss to SD) we were good on D but Andy was still mediocre. I think we were probably the 5th to 10th best team in 2013. Each of the other 4 years, I would argue that we were not a top 8 team.

Personally I'm less pissed off about the playoff loss this year than years past. It was more heartbreaking this year, but we fought back in the 2nd half. When in the previous 6 games did we do anything but melt down in the second half? I can't even be pissed at Burfict--without him we're not even in the game in the 4th quarter.

I think Marvin's game management skills are terrible, but a head coach can't be great at everything. He attracts excellent assistant coaches, and he has played a big role in putting together a talented roster. I think we can win a Super Bowl with Marvin as HC. Is he any worse than Dungy was?

Stop

Agree about the playoff loss to the Stealers.  We came closer this time.  Not for away now.....

This is as embarrassing a post as I have ever read on this site.  So you are saying that it really isn't Marvin's fault that Marvin's teams haven't been good enough to win a playoff game in 12 years.  Fucking brilliant.

This is as embarrassing a post as I have ever read on this site.  So you are saying that it really isn't Marvin's fault that Marvin's teams haven't been good enough to win a playoff game in 12 years.  Fucking brilliant.

I guess he isn't entitled to an opinion because it doesn't match yours, huh?

I'm saying that we've had consistently good but not great teams (except for 2005 and 2015), and those teams don't generally advance beyond the wild card game. If there's an area to be critical of Marvin, it's that he hasn't put together great teams except for 2005 and 2015. His regular season winning percentage of 55% is not good enough. That is a bigger problem than going 0-7 in the playoffs when 4 times out of 7, our team wasn't good enough, and twice we don't have our starting QB.

The media makes it seem like Marvin is some kind of playoff choker, as if we had really talented teams that should have won in the playoffs and choked it away. I think the problem is more that our teams haven't been good enough to win the playoff games. Would you rather have missed the playoffs in 3 of those 7 seasons when we had mediocre teams that limped into the playoffs?

I'm saying that we've had consistently good but not great teams (except for 2005 and 2015), and those teams don't generally advance beyond the wild card game. If there's an area to be critical of Marvin, it's that he hasn't put together great teams except for 2005 and 2015. His regular season winning percentage of 55% is not good enough. That is a bigger problem than going 0-7 in the playoffs when 4 times out of 7, our team wasn't good enough, and twice we don't have our starting QB.

The media makes it seem like Marvin is some kind of playoff choker, as if we had really talented teams that should have won in the playoffs and choked it away. I think the problem is more that our teams haven't been good enough to win the playoff games. Would you rather have missed the playoffs in 3 of those 7 seasons when we had mediocre teams that limped into the playoffs?

Marvin is a playoff choker.  Even an average  team wins 1 out of 7 games and the cold hard fact is Marvin drops way too many winnable regular season games which results in us never getting a bye.

I guess he isn't entitled to an opinion because it doesn't match yours, huh?

You are correct, the opinion of one who justifies 7 straight playoff losses pretty much doesn't matter.  Might as well just become a Detroit or Browns fan.  Marvin should have been gone 2 years ago after the SD debacle.  Instead, they keep him around to embarrass the franchise yet again.

You are correct, the opinion of one who justifies 7 straight playoff losses pretty much doesn't matter.  Might as well just become a Detroit or Browns fan.  Marvin should have been gone 2 years ago after the SD debacle.  Instead, they keep him around to embarrass the franchise yet again.

Aren't you glad we're not the Browns or Lions?  Your comparison is more akin to the 90's Bengals.  The Bengals of today are still a lot better than what they are right now.

You're an old guy like me . I shouldn't have to tell you be careful what you wish for. I have a good idea what your reply will be if you give me one. 

And I think the opinion of someone who always tries to put down others opinions, is probably the one with opinions that don't matter.

And I think the opinion of someone who always tries to put down others opinions, is probably the one with opinions that don't matter.

:o

Eh. Mike already made a comment about that will come at some point this offseason.

Did he? I must have missed that. Can you link it?

One could argue that he did such a good job of coaching, he took average to mediocre teams to the playoffs more then he should have.  :ninja:

Is it Marvin's fault that in 2005 our QB went down on the second play of the game, in 2014 we were playing without half our offense, and in 2015 without our starting QB (and were still a non-call on Porter away from winning)?

Archived