DeAngelo Williams: Vontaze Burfict hit cost Stealers a Super Bowl run

DeAngelo Williams: Vontaze Burfict hit cost Stealers a Super Bowl run

DeAngelo Williams said he would have played on "a nub" if the Stealers had made the Super Bowl. Tommy Gilligan/USA TODAY Sports
3:49 PM ET
  • fowler_jeremy_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer

File this in Chapter 1,238 of the Stealers-Bengals book of scorched pages.

Reflecting on the Stealers' 2015 season Wednesday, Pittsburgh running backDeAngelo Williams believes there's "no doubt" a healthy Antonio Brown would have propelled Pittsburgh to Super Bowl 50, possibly facing off against Williams' old team, the Carolina Panthers.

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict's vicious helmet hit on Brown, the league leader in receptions, in the final minute of Cincinnati's 18-16 AFC wild-card loss left the Stealers' offense vulnerable in the divisional round against Denver. Brown missed the game with a concussion from the hit, and Williams missed two playoff games with a foot injury. He's been fully cleared for offseason workouts.

"For me, my rival throughout my year will be the Cincinnati Bengals," Williams told ESPN. "I don't think there was any doubt in my mind if AB was not interfered on or hit the way he was hit, however you want to label it -- there's no doubt we go on and give the Broncos hell."

Williams cites the Stealers' explosive playmaking and late-season momentum as reasons they would have pushed for the Super Bowl. The late-season communication on offense had become so crisp that Williams described play calls as "non-verbal body language" as Ben Roethlisberger called shots from the line of scrimmage.

Williams said he's not allowed to discuss injuries, but he ensures he would have played in the Super Bowl.

"I would have played on a nub," Williams said.

The Stealers were on their third tailback come playoff time, but Williams is eager to play with Le'Veon Bell for a full season. The two combined for nearly 2,000 yards in 2015 despite Bell missing much of the season with a torn medial collateral ligament.

What will 2016 be like with both players healthy?

"Crazy," Williams said. "When [Bell's] on the field, we've got the potential to do anything and be anything. He's that dynamic of a player that everybody wants to see and wants to be."

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-Stealers/post/_/id/18320/deangelo-williams-vontaze-burfict-hit-cost-Stealers-a-super-bowl-run

Williams has become the biggest idiot in the NFL. Had Burfict not hit Brown high, he wouldn't have been flagged and Pittsburgh wouldn't have beaten the Bengals, let alone the Broncos. He gets dumber by the quote.

Williams has become the biggest idiot in the NFL. Had Burfict not hit Brown high, he wouldn't have been flagged and Pittsburgh wouldn't have beaten the Bengals, let alone the Broncos. He gets dumber by the quote.

Yeah, it's almost as if he's the one that suffered the brain injury from that hit, instead of his team mate.

DeAngelo Williams is a weird dude, he spends the season mad at the NFL because he can't wear pink all year, so he puts pink weave into his dreadlocks. Then he tries to talk shit about Peyton Manning on Twitter(like a real man) after he retires, which caused his own coach to tell him to stfu, and now this. Hell, DeAngelo should kissing Burfict's ass because without him hurting Bell he wouldn't have gotten an opportunity to play as much as he did. 

His logic is so far off, it's comical. If you remember that play the ball wasn't catch-able, it was 3 and 17 and they weren't in FG range...so if it wasn't for that call it was game over and you lose pissburg.

He should be thankful the Bengals bailed them out and allowed them to advance in the playoffs, what a delusional idiot. He should go dye the rest of his hair pink and stfu before Fontaze Burdock puts a hurtin on him like he did Le'Von Bell. 

I am so fucking sick of this offseason already... These crybaby assholes need to go back to their caves..

I can't wait till the draft..maybe we can not hear about how the big meanie Bengals ruined the poor little stealers season...

oh... and Fuck the stealers

And Fuckface is going along with it.

Gotta love Vontaze haha

DeAngelo Williams Comments on Vontaze Burfict's Playoff Hit on Antonio Brown

DeAngelo Williams Comments on Vontaze Burfict's Playoff Hit on Antonio Brown

Rob Carr/Getty Images 

Tyler 
Conway
Apr 6, 2016
Comments

Vontaze Burfict's illegal hit on Antonio Brown in the AFC Wild Card Round cost the Cincinnati Bengals linebacker three games. According to Pittsburgh Stealers running back DeAngelo Williams, it cost his team way more.

"For me, my rival throughout my year will be the Cincinnati Bengals," Williams told ESPN.com's Jeremy Fowler on Wednesday. "I don't think there was any doubt in my mind if AB was not interfered on or hit the way he was hit, however you want to label it—there's no doubt we go on and give the Broncos hell."

Burfict and Williams proceeded to exchange barbs on Twitter after Williams' comments were released (Warning: NSFW language)

Not a great come back I'll teach u how to keep my name out mouth tho remember I have to tackle you ???? https://t.co/K0vY4izHLJ

— Vontaze Burfict (@King55Tez) 

April 6, 2016

Brown suffered a concussion on an ugly personal-foul shot from Burfict, who struck the Pro Bowl wide receiver's head as he went across the middle on an incomplete pass. Burfict was assessed a 15-yard penalty and subsequently suspended the first three games of 2016 for repeated violations of NFL rules governing illegal hits.

This is a chicken-egg situation. If Brown wouldn't have been injured on Burfict's hit, perhaps the Stealers would have beaten the Denver Broncos. They came within a touchdown while playing on an undermanned offense that didn't have its top two running backs (Le'Veon Bell, Williams) or its top receiver. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was also playing through severe shoulder pain. Put Brown on the field, and maybe Denver's late drive ties the game rather than wins it.

On the other hand, the Stealers would have never been in the divisional round without Burfict's hit. The 30 yards' worth of penalties as a result of that play—Adam Jones also received a 15-yard penalty for taunting Brown—put the Stealers in field-goal range.  

Their drive had been sputtering to that point, filled with short completions that were evaporating time off the clock. Pittsburgh would have been at Cincinnati's 47-yard line with 18 seconds remaining had Burfict not hit Brown. It's not unfeasible that a big play was in the making, but Roethlisberger could barely throw five yards in front of his face at that point. 

That hit is the only reason the Stealers didn't go home for the season a week earlier. How retarded are these guys?

it's the delusion of Steelers fans and players... They actually believe they beat us playing football and not at the extracurricular crap... Take away the dumb shit and we are plying the Broncos

I want bad things to happen to Stealers.  I normally reserve that distinction for evil doers, criminals, and those that hate or harm our country.

2/3 not good enough?

Taze blasting that asshole on Twitter was great...

"Why am I talking shit to a backup" ha ha ha ....

I like taze more every day....

Shit was funny but King Roger will probably add games to his suspension

Vontaze Burfict, DeAngelo Williams continue Bengals-Stealers feud on Twitterplay

Apr 7, 2016
  • fowler_jeremy_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Jeremy FowlerESPN Staff Writer
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • print
  • commentThe Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Stealers just can't quit each other.Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict threatened DeAngelo Williams on social media after the Stealers running back told ESPN on Wednesday how Burfict's nasty hit on Antonio Brown in the AFC wild-card game derailed Pittsburgh's Super Bowl run.

The Cincinnati Bengals and Pittsburgh Stealers just can't quit each other.

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfictthreatened DeAngelo Williams on social media after the Stealers running back told ESPN on Wednesday how Burfict's nasty hit onAntonio Brown in the AFC wild-card game derailed Pittsburgh's Super Bowl run.

"I'll teach u how to keep my name out mouth tho remember I have to tackle you," Burfict told Williams on social media.

ESPN asked Williams what it was like to watch his team in the playoffs while sidelined with a foot injury. Williams said there's "no doubt" in his mind Pittsburgh would "give the Broncos hell" with a healthy Brown, who was concussed from a helmet shot by Burfict, one of several egregious hits that landed the linebacker a three-game suspension in 2016.

Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict told Stealers linebacker DeAngelo Williams on Twitter that he'd "teach u how to keep my name out mouth tho remember I have to tackle you."

The Stealers lost to Denver in the divisional round. A week earlier, Pittsburgh's 18-16 playoff win over the Bengals in Paul Brown Stadium featured several heated moments, including Stealers linebacker Ryan Shazier's helmet hit on Bengals running back Gio Bernard that was not penalized at the time but was later deemed an illegal tackle by league vice president of officiating Dean Blandino.

Wednesday's argument on Twitter started when Burfict asked Williams why the Bengals were on his mind four months later, pointing out Williams didn't help his team in the playoffs due to injury.

Williams responded by asking Burfict what he's doing "when u not costing your team games." Burfict followed with his threat, to which Williams wished Burfict well on his "vacation" from NFL action. Burfict then called Williams "a back up," with Williams saying Burfict's inability to control his emotions undermines his natural talent.

Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are guaranteed to play at least twice in 2016, and Burfict will likely be involved in that action. The Stealers will have zero problems with that after Burfict's tackling has affected injuries to Pittsburgh's top three players -- Le'Veon Bell (torn medial collateral ligament), Ben Roethlisberger (separated shoulder) and Brown.

"For me, my rival throughout my year will be the Cincinnati Bengals," Williams said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15153730/vontaze-burfict-deangelo-williams-continue-bengals-Stealers-feud-social-media

• 1 month later...

Archived