Here's why Hue Jackson left the Bengals to take the Browns job

Here's why Hue Jackson left the Bengals to take the Browns job

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

April 9, 2016 10:43 am ET

There's an extra layer of complexity added to the Friday afternoon contract extension Marvin Lewis received from the Bengals. Turns out, Browns coach and former Cincy offensive coordinator Hue Jackson was nearly involved.

According to Mike Silver on NFL Network, when discussing contract extensions, Lewis went to Bengals owner Mike Brown and offered him a deal that involved a succession plan for Jackson.

But Brown didn't want to put anything in writing guaranteeing Jackson a job in two years and the talented offensive coordinator bolted.

"With Hue Jackson, his offensive coordinator, a hot head coaching candidate, Marvin Lewis went to Hue Jackson and together they hatched a plan that would have kept Hue Jackson on with a two-year succession plan at which point Marvin Lewis would step down," Silver said. "They went and shopped that to owner Mike Brown, who did not want to put that in writing."

Clearly Jackson, part of an ever-growing coaching tree for Lewis that includes multiple head coaches (Jay Gruden of the Redskins, Mike Zimmer of the Vikings and Jackson), liked the idea of remaining in Cincinnati and being groomed to take over.

It sounds like Brown was interested too, but just didn't want to guarantee it. Nothing wrong with that -- lots of things can change in two years.

What's interesting about this is two things for Marvin. One, as Silver notes, he does have more job security than people realize. He's the second-longest tenured coach in the NFL and, despite not having a playoff win on his resume, he's turned the Bengals around. Lewis is all but guaranteed to get two more years on his current contract if he wants.

The other thing is the possibility Lewis wants to walk away after that deal. There was a theory this season about Lewis moving into a front-office role after the year was over and handing the reigns to Jackson. Maybe this was the play Lewis wanted to set up?

Either way it's possible he's considering the idea of changing up his role with the Bengals as he approaches the age of 60.

Whatever happens it won't involve Jackson after Brown passed on locking him in. The AFC North development of competition between Cincinnati and Cleveland will be fascinating to watch over the next few years.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25548212

Wise move by Brown. Based on prior history of Cleveland head coaches, Hue will be available in two years. Also, from my perspective, I didn't see anything from Hue as a coordinator that would indicate he would succeed as head coach. Zimmer is a different story. That deal should have been made with Zimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the most impressive thing about Hue's resume is that his 8-8 record with the Raiders in 2011 has not been bettered by the franchise since 2002 and only three seasons since 1994.  When given the chance, he did what few Raiders coaches have done in the past 30 years.  Small sample size, though.

Wise move by Brown. Based on prior history of Cleveland head coaches, Hue will be available in two years. Also, from my perspective, I didn't see anything from Hue as a coordinator that would indicate he would succeed as head coach. Zimmer is a different story. That deal should have been made with Zimmer.

Zimmer would have had several playoff wins by this point. He just couldn't wait for Lewis to go for record as oldest coach in The NFL

Zimmer would have had several playoff wins by this point. He just couldn't wait for Lewis to go for record as oldest coach in The NFL

Really glad Mike Brown refused to put it in writing. I'm not impressed with Hue nor do I think he has a future brighter than Marvin as a HC. More intrigued by Guenther and potential outside hires as replacements. Not a guy who is trying to be flashy to build his resume and has been involved in 2 major locker room incidents as an assistant coach.

Hue is HC material and needed to bolt as soon as he heard that soP wouldn't put it in writing.

What I would want to hear was the answer to the question when soP asked Marvin, "When Hue takes over, what are you going to do do?" That question may have sniffed out a power move by Marvin and Katie. And if the answer was that Marvin was going to move on to other opportunities, soP may have felt he could keep Marvin closer and more options open by not guaranteeing Hue.

Smart move by soP but personally, I'm indifferent.

Hue Jackson sucked as the OC. Wasted timeouts, the dumbest formations the NFL has seen to date, terrible play calls, terrible play engineering, terrible terrible.

Zampesee is going to kill it this year. This offense should be much improved even without Jones and Sanu.

Hue Jackson sucked as the OC. Wasted timeouts, the dumbest formations the NFL has seen to date, terrible play calls, terrible play engineering, terrible terrible.

No offense, but this is retarded. The Bengals' offense ranked 9th in yards gained and 10th in points scored (according to NFL.com). I'd say that's far from "terrible terrible".

No offense, but this is retarded. The Bengals' offense ranked 9th in yards gained and 10th in points scored (according to NFL.com). I'd say that's far from "terrible terrible".

9th and 10th!!! Who gives a flapping fuck??? We're trying to be first.  We should've,,,, could've been top 3 had we had a decent offensive scheme. We could've been top 5 if it weren't for all the pre snap shenanigans which always resulted into a dud of a play or worse a middle school formation penalty or wasted timeout.

Its one thing if the player is not focused and the cause of a formation penalty but another thing if its because the play call has these guys flippin and flopin like chickens before the snap. Hey lets fucking line up with the o-line spread wide and just the QB and Center on the ball!!!!! Yes!!!! Lets do just for fucks sake!!!  oh wait we did do it!!!! 

LIke were going to confuse the Broncos defense if we move our tight end and receiver three ways before the snap. Cut out the bull crap. Line up straight and play ball.

The genius that is Hue Jackson allowed for Eric Winston to go up 1-on-1 with JJ Watt all game vs Houston.  Couldn't adjust.  Hue is a good coordinator, but he's WAY overrated.  Not many coordinators would have failed to get this unit into the top 10 with the weapons available.  He overthinks and as a result, is in a chess match with his own head many times (see J.Hill playcall for 2 pt conversion in playoffs--worst call in history of football).  

Mike Brown is a very, very smart man.  He wouldn't guarantee Hue anything, wise move IMO.  He would rather have Marvin, and his unspectacular everything, than go with Schizo Hue.  

The genius that is Hue Jackson allowed for Eric Winston to go up 1-on-1 with JJ Watt all game vs Houston.  Couldn't adjust.  Hue is a good coordinator, but he's WAY overrated.  Not many coordinators would have failed to get this unit into the top 10 with the weapons available.  He overthinks and as a result, is in a chess match with his own head many times (see J.Hill playcall for 2 pt conversion in playoffs--worst call in history of football).  

Mike Brown is a very, very smart man.  He wouldn't guarantee Hue anything, wise move IMO.  He would rather have Marvin, and his unspectacular everything, than go with Schizo Hue.  

My head still explodes just thinking about that bogus ass play call.  Two of the top red zone targets in the game in AJ and Eifert and the smart move is to start the play 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage with Jeremy Hill?  McCarron might as well have turned around and punted it back towards the 50 yard line.

My head still explodes just thinking about that bogus ass play call.  Two of the top red zone targets in the game in AJ and Eifert and the smart move is to start the play 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage with Jeremy Hill?  McCarron might as well have turned around and punted it back towards the 50 yard line.

I don't think AJ was in the game.  The genius ran that play out of a 'jumbo' formation which AJ is not a part of.  I'm not sure Eifert was out there either although I do believe he is a part of that package so he very well could have been out there.  But to not have AJ Green out there essentially told the Stealers that they only had to defend a certain part of the field, which they did.  

I don't think AJ was in the game.  The genius ran that play out of a 'jumbo' formation which AJ is not a part of.  I'm not sure Eifert was out there either although I do believe he is a part of that package so he very well could have been out there.  But to not have AJ Green out there essentially told the Stealers that they only had to defend a certain part of the field, which they did.  

My "in the game" comment was more meaning  that those are two of the best red zone targets "in the NFL".  But yea as if the play call wasn't stupid enough the formation gave away the play and gave McCarron no chance to check into anything else at the line of scrimmage as the Stealers just pinned their ears back.

So creative! Definitely head coach material.

Let's be honest: in those situations, I was brimming with confidence with only the interior line in front of Dalton when he took the snap. Like an isosceles triangle of awesomeness. 

Archived