Thanks....I really believe they will take a DT in Round 2 or 3 and a good LB somewhere along the line......Coleman or Fuller could return kicks also..

Heard he thinks LB and OL are more of a Day 3 need. 

He mentioned WR, DB and DL as the 3 spots most likely to get addressed on Thursday and Friday.

Talked about Coleman and Fuller as WRs. Said if a guy like Apple was there they could address CB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any links to this by chance?  I'm interested to see what he said.  Sounded like he delved into the Reggie Nelson situation as well.

Do you have any links to this by chance?  I'm interested to see what he said.  Sounded like he delved into the Reggie Nelson situation as well.

Haven't seen the audio put up anywhere yet. The interview was last night and replayed on Lance McAlister's afternoon show today. I'd expect it to be posted online sometime in the next day or two.

He went into the Reggie Nelson thing in a previous appearance focused on free agency about a week back. Most interesting part of that appearance IMO was that he mentioned he thought Fisher might end up being best as an OG and not as an OT. Compared him to Eric Steinbach. 

Haven't seen the audio put up anywhere yet. The interview was last night and replayed on Lance McAlister's afternoon show today. I'd expect it to be posted online sometime in the next day or two.

He went into the Reggie Nelson thing in a previous appearance focused on free agency about a week back. Most interesting part of that appearance IMO was that he mentioned he thought Fisher might end up being best as an OG and not as an OT. Compared him to Eric Steinbach. 

I'd be all for Fisher to G, Boling to C, and Bodine to the bench.

Is that really a good thing?

Max Montoya was an OT in college who moved in to play guard and is arguably the best guard the Bengals have ever had.  He gets my vote, anyway.

Is that really a good thing?

Max Montoya was an OT in college who moved in to play guard and is arguably the best guard the Bengals have ever had.  He gets my vote, anyway.

In my opinion, it's definitely not a good thing. In hindsight, that Fisher pick looks pretty questionable. I didn't like the pick at the time and it wasn't due to not liking Fisher, but not understanding where his value was going to come from. You only get a 2nd rounder for 4 years until he hits unrestricted free agency. Barring injury, Fisher isn't going to play significant snaps in year 2. And it's not even clear if he is the top backup should one of the OTs go down (Lap mentioned that if Whit got injured, Ced would move to LT and Winston would probably come in at RT). 

Looking ahead to 2017 and his 3rd year here, does he finally start? Even if you only got 2 cheap years of him as a starting OT (if Whit retires), that would make the pick somewhat justifiable. But it's not clear you even get that with Lapham casting further doubt on his ability to be a good starting OT.

Do they let Zeitler (who they invested a 1st rounder in) walk after this year and plug Fisher in at RG?

Or do we end up with a 2nd-round pick who is just a super-sub and occasional blocking TE for his 4 years here?

Thanks....I really believe they will take a DT in Round 2 or 3 and a good LB somewhere along the line......Coleman or Fuller could return kicks also..

No way they take a LB before day 3 (unless they take a shot on J Smith). They don't really have room for one to get actual playing time with the Dansby signing. It would be a waste of a pick this year and the LBs in this draft are garbage.

God I hope we dont take Fuller 

I'm in the same boat. I don't really like him but I would trust him more if they do take him. I trust the staff at most positions. Don't really trust them at DE right now but that was picking the guys Zimmer/Hayes wanted badly and both are gone now so that could change fast.

In my opinion, it's definitely not a good thing. In hindsight, that Fisher pick looks pretty questionable. I didn't like the pick at the time and it wasn't due to not liking Fisher, but not understanding where his value was going to come from. You only get a 2nd rounder for 4 years until he hits unrestricted free agency. Barring injury, Fisher isn't going to play significant snaps in year 2. And it's not even clear if he is the top backup should one of the OTs go down (Lap mentioned that if Whit got injured, Ced would move to LT and Winston would probably come in at RT). 

Looking ahead to 2017 and his 3rd year here, does he finally start? Even if you only got 2 cheap years of him as a starting OT (if Whit retires), that would make the pick somewhat justifiable. But it's not clear you even get that with Lapham casting further doubt on his ability to be a good starting OT.

Do they let Zeitler (who they invested a 1st rounder in) walk after this year and plug Fisher in at RG?

Or do we end up with a 2nd-round pick who is just a super-sub and occasional blocking TE for his 4 years here?

I don't think talking about Fisher playing guard is necessarily an indictment of his ability to play tackle, it's just an acknowledgement of there not being any playing time available at that position right now.  It may even be a vote of confidence in Fisher that the Bengals are looking for creative ways to get him on the field.  The Bengals have a long history of moving guys around on the line until a spot opens up for them.  Look no further than another second round tackle (Andrew Whitworth), who spent parts of his first three years with the Bengals at guard before moving out to tackle and becoming an all-pro.

I'm in the same boat. I don't really like him but I would trust him more if they do take him. I trust the staff at most positions. Don't really trust them at DE right now but that was picking the guys Zimmer/Hayes wanted badly and both are gone now so that could change fast.

I'm just not sure that getting a guy better hands is something you can coach up. Last thing we need is a guy who drops the ball more than he should.

No way they take a LB before day 3 (unless they take a shot on J Smith). They don't really have room for one to get actual playing time with the Dansby signing. It would be a waste of a pick this year and the LBs in this draft are garbage.

LOL at the Bengals balking at drafting any position because of playing time concerns.  Do the names Cedric Ogbuehi, Dre Kirkpatrick, or Shawn Williams ring a bell?  All of those guys sat on the bench for at least a year or three until the Bengals found a spot for them in the starting lineup.  Darqueze Dennard, Jake Fisher, and Paul Dawson are still waiting for their turn to come.  Rookies riding the pine has become the norm in Bengaland, not the exception.

I'm just not sure that getting a guy better hands is something you can coach up. Last thing we need is a guy who drops the ball more than he should.

You can definitely coach it up.  Just look at Mohamed Sanu.  He led the league in drops in 2014 and didn't drop a single ball in 2015.  He knew he sucked catching the ball in 2014 and busted his ass to fix the problem.

LOL at the Bengals balking at drafting any position because of playing time concerns.  Do the names Cedric Ogbuehi, Dre Kirkpatrick, or Shawn Williams ring a bell?  All of those guys sat on the bench for at least a year or three until the Bengals found a spot for them in the starting lineup.  Darqueze Dennard, Jake Fisher, and Paul Dawson are still waiting for their turn to come.  Rookies riding the pine has become the norm in Bengaland, not the exception.

You kind of made the point...exactly why they won't go even deeper. They bitched about not getting Dawson more snaps. Flowers will be back and they want to see what they have in him. They aren't going 3 deep in lack of PT when 2 of them they think have NFL starting potential and haven't had a chance to play them. A LB early this year (which would be pure stupid cuz none are worth it at our picks) would sit for a long time.

You can definitely coach it up.  Just look at Mohamed Sanu.  He led the league in drops in 2014 and didn't drop a single ball in 2015.  He knew he sucked catching the ball in 2014 and busted his ass to fix the problem.

Did he have drop issues at Rutgers? Or were his issues in 2014 because he moved outside to be the #2 with Jones out. Whereas in 2015 he was mostly in the slot and not the #2 guy since Jones was back.

Archived