I'm not sure that I agree that Treadwell has better playing speed than his 40 time.  He is a great player, but he doesn't look very fast on the field.  I think that is why he has so many great highlight contested catches.  He doesn't get much separation unless there is blown coverage.  His speed is a serious concern.  

Thats fair to say I kind of left it open to interpretation. I was referring more so to him being able to hit that extra gear when ball is in the air and the way he sets defenders up with his routes makes his play speed better.

I'm starting to think that the Bengals will be better off passing on WRs in the first round (unless Doctson is still on the board) and addressing WR with multiple 2nd/3rd day picks.  WRs class is deep and bottom heavy.  

If by "deep and bottom heavy" you mean "a whole bunch of mediocre WRs", I agree with you.

:lol:

But there are a couple of late round guys I think could develop into good players.  My current favorite being Cody Core out of Ole Miss, playing on the other side of Treadwell.

Just listened to this again, and Lapham is all about Coleman and Fuller as the dream picks in round 1. 

I don't think Coleman makes it to 24, so my money is on Fuller being the Bengals pick at #24. 

Going to be some pissed off go-bengals fans because almost nobody seems to like him for whatever reason. 

I think Coleman has a good shot to be there at 24. I will pray every pick that Fuller goes lol.

If by "deep and bottom heavy" you mean "a whole bunch of mediocre WRs", I agree with you.

:lol:

But there are a couple of late round guys I think could develop into good players.  My current favorite being Cody Core out of Ole Miss, playing on the other side of Treadwell.

There are no real stars in the draft. Maybe Doctson. Coleman/Treadwell/Shepherd and a lot of the other guys would just be really solid WRs but there are quite a few of them in the draft.

I'm starting to think that the Bengals will be better off passing on WRs in the first round (unless Doctson is still on the board) and addressing WR with multiple 2nd/3rd day picks.  WRs class is deep and bottom heavy.  

I expect them to go DE in the first round, there are few talented guys in the draft but they will go in the top 50..after that the talent level drops significantly. However there is not much of difference between the top 10 WR's in the draft, meaning you can get a guy in the second round like Mike Thomas, Tyler Boyd, or Sterling Shepard that is just as good as the first round guys like Doctson, Treadwell, and Coleman. 

I don't think Fuller is a good fit because he's under 190 lbs and his best attribute is his speed and in our division those guys don't usually have much success. How will Fuller handle the most physical division in football, can he last 16 games of guys trying to take his head off, is he going to run block with success? Super fast skinny guys like Fuller normally don't have much success in the NFL if they aren't savy route runners, which Fuller isn't. He can run a go, hitch, and that's about it...Not worthy of 1st round pick, imo. 

Lapham's most recent interview he basically broke down the Bengals as:

WR:
1) Doctson

2) Coleman

3) Fuller

They expect Doctson and Coleman to be gone by their pick.

CB:

1) Jackson

2) Apple

Has absolutely no belief they will waste a pick on a DT since rounds 2-4 have similar talented DTs and you can't say the same about other positions.

He really didn't mention DE at all which I found kind of odd. Maybe they don't have any DEs ranked in the 20-24 range, but a guy that is in that 8-15 range on their board might fall to them and that is when they go DE.

I would take any of Dotcson. Shepard. Treadwell. Coleman

Fuller reportedly has the smallest hands of any WR in 15 years.  Maybe any player. I am thinking he will be the pick and it's a big mistake. 

I'd take Fuller way ahead of Shepard. Taller, much faster, plays outside. And we don't use the slot much because we like two TE-sets and/or using Hewitt at FB. Part-time player at a non-premium position doesn't add up to 1st round value. 

As for the hands, Tyler Lockett was 8 and 3/8 last year. Fuller is 8 and 1/4. Don't think that 1/8th of an inch is a big deal and everyone here seems to love Lockett. 

Not exactly a glowing endorsement

There are at least 3 teams,and maybe 4 ahead of Bengals  if  you count the Ravens,that could take wr,Fuller wouldn't be one of my top 3 choices,but at least he is fast.He just drops too many passes.

Here's the link to Lapham's latest:

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/audio/Bengals-Booth-Podcast-16-Draft-Preview/ce1011d3-7e10-4a09-83b0-64f2fc133f19

Definitely worth a listen IMO. KrumrieFan already posted a nice summary above, but I will add a couple things:

-while Lapham listed the 3 WRs in order (Doctson, Coleman, Fuller), he kind of made it sound like they were all in the same tier and not a big difference on their board (thought I heard him mumble something about 1b and 1c for Coleman and Fuller). 

-He also definitely does not agree with the notion I've seen a few people here post that it's a deep WR draft. He said there's maybe only 1 or 2 WRs per round that are worth going in rounds 2, 3 and 4. So if they pass in 1, there's no guarantee that you get a guy you like later due to how shallow the WR class is. 

-Doesn't see DT in the 1st because he doesn't think there's that big a gap between the 1st round projections and the mid-round guys this year.

-Said same thing Marvin did about ignoring the rankings of the "draft gurus" because the Bengals are drafting for their specific system and what they need the players to be able to do (possibly in reference to why they might pass on Treadwell for a "lower-rated" guy IMO). 

-Interesting discussion about # of snaps played by different positions on defense (mentioned that a "starting" DT might only play 35% of snaps if he can't pass rush).

-Sounds like CB or a trade down is the most likely scenario if all 3 of their top WRs are gone. 

But they won't trade out of the first round, at least I hope not. Having that 5th year option is good to have in your back pocket, if the pick is a winner.

Yeah, I think it adds a little value to those late firsts. 

If the Bengals would consider going all the way down to round 2, it would take a huge offer I'd guess. The first pick of the 2nd round (32) and the first pick of the 3rd round (65) would be pretty close on the value chart, but they might be able to get even more when you factor in that 5th year option and all the teams in late 1 that are potentially looking for a QB. Maybe a 4th or 5th rounder added also. I could see them doing something like that if the top 3 WRs and top CBs are all gone at 24. 

4 picks on Day 2 would be pretty sweet. 

I'd take Fuller way ahead of Shepard. Taller, much faster, plays outside. And we don't use the slot much because we like two TE-sets and/or using Hewitt at FB. Part-time player at a non-premium position doesn't add up to 1st round value. 

As for the hands, Tyler Lockett was 8 and 3/8 last year. Fuller is 8 and 1/4. Don't think that 1/8th of an inch is a big deal and everyone here seems to love Lockett. 

then I'd say you have not watch Shepard play. He's a stud. 

Lapham's most recent interview he basically broke down the Bengals as:

WR:
1) Doctson

2) Coleman

3) Fuller

They expect Doctson and Coleman to be gone by their pick.

CB:

1) Jackson

2) Apple

Has absolutely no belief they will waste a pick on a DT since rounds 2-4 have similar talented DTs and you can't say the same about other positions.

He really didn't mention DE at all which I found kind of odd. Maybe they don't have any DEs ranked in the 20-24 range, but a guy that is in that 8-15 range on their board might fall to them and that is when they go DE.

Given that both starting DEs are under 30 and signed for the next couple years, I don't see them taking a DE in 1 unless it's an Eifert situation.  I think the DE hunt starts in round 2.

Given that both starting DEs are under 30 and signed for the next couple years, I don't see them taking a DE in 1 unless it's an Eifert situation.  I think the DE hunt starts in round 2.

Please, never say DE, Hunt and Round 2 in the same sentence ever again.  Thanks. 

It sounds like I need to start talking myself into Fuller.   This video makes me feel a little better.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap3000000651953/First-Draft-Will-Fuller

I hate the Ted Ginn comparison.  I would like to think that he could be Antonio Brown, but Brown is much tougher in the middle of the field and has better hands. 

Archived