PFF draft board: Cincinnati Bengals

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/19/draft-pff-draft-board-cincinnati-bengals/

PFF is putting together team-specific draft boards for all 32 franchise using our draft rankings and evaluation of how each player fits in specific schemes.

Included are three ideal targets for each team with their first-, second-, and third-round picks, along with a team-specific draft board [scroll down to bottom of article] that includes every player in PFF’s draft rankings.

Here is the entry for the Cincinnati Bengals:

Round 1 (24th overall)

Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

Russell Bodine has had his chances, and the need to upgrade at the position has become apparent. Kelly is the top center on our board, and the scheme fit couldn’t be better. The senior is a mauler in the run game and had one of the more dominant stretches we saw from a center all year leading up to the national title game.

Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor

Coleman is more than just a speedster, and if he lasts until pick No. 24, I imagine the Bengals would be ecstatic to hand a card in with his name on it. Coleman was on pace to be the top-graded receiver last year by a mile when Seth Russell was healthy. Even with a third-string quarterback under center, Coleman still managed 3.97 yards per route run, the third-highest total in the FBS.

Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

With Reggie Nelson walking to Oakland, the safety position next to George Iloka has an opening. Joseph is the only safety outside of Jalen Ramsey (who played the position in 2014) we’ve deemed worthy of a possible first-round selection. The former Mountaineer may have been a lock first-rounder if he hadn’t missed most of his senior season. He was playing out of his mind with five interceptions in four games before being lost for the year with a knee injury.

Round 2 (55th overall)

Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

Jones has all the tools to be a slot cornerback right away and potentially grow into a full-time starter on the outside. He was the seventh-highest-graded cornerback in the country last year, but his height (5-foot-10) will push him down a bit.

Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State

Johnson had the second-best run-defense grade of any nose tackle in the FBS last year. His best fit is as a one-technique, a position that Cincinnati uses as much as any team in the NFL. With Domata Peko losing steam in his early 30s, Johnson could bring some pop back to the Bengals’ run defense.

Leonte Carroo, WR, Rutgers

Carroo is another guy that may have gone higher if he could have stayed healthy the past two years. In only 363 snaps a season ago, the Rutgers wideout averaged 4.11 yards per route run, the highest figure of anyone in the draft class. At the Senior Bowl, he posted the highest win percentage of any receiver in the one-on-ones.

Round 3 (87th overall)

De’Vante Harris, CB, Texas A&M

Harris was one of the stingier corners in the country last year, allowing only 275 yards in 877 snaps. He has a reckless streak, though, and lacks the pure speed to get away with it in the NFL. There is definitely upside here for a mid-rounder, however.

Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU

The Bengals certainly have a mold for their defensive ends, and it’s one that Kaufusi fits. He might not be the physical freak that Margus Hunt was coming out, but Kaufusi is a much more polished football player. Kaufusi was tops among all interior players in pass-rushing productivity last season.

Keyarris Garrett, WR, Tulsa

Garrett is a physically-imposing receiver at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds. He’s also got some speed to burn, and was one of the most productive deep receivers a year ago. His 725 yards on deep passes finished as second-most in the FBS last season.

Then they post a whole draft grade/board... so go to link to see more.

I find it very interesting and not would I believe... but interesting

I would be cool with any one of those three first rounders.  Kelly is appealing due to the fact that he may be able to help jumpstart that run game.  Joseph could PUP and take over that free safety role if he knows the defense.  I think Joseph is going to be a star.

Shawn Williams played really well in 5 starts last year. He's only 24-years old and just starting to enter his prime years. I don't understand the big rush to replace him. (I do like Joseph, but Safety is a 3rd or 4th round need for a good backup and makes no sense in round 1 IMO.)

Outside of receiver, I think any guy they take isn't going to play meaningful snaps.  If they take Joseph they have quality depth (Seems like George and Shawn get nicked up a few times each year) and they can keep Shaw at corner.  If they take a corner, I could see Shaw shifting back to safety or at least having a hybrid role.

They like Iloka and Williams, I don't see them taking a safety early unless he is clearly BPA.

I'd be happy with Coleman or Kelly in 1.

Johnson is on my like list in 2.  Cyrus Jones is, in 4.

The 3s would depend on what they do in 1 and 2.

Just thinking outside the box, but maybe they think Shawn and George are similar types as more in the box guys.  It may be the reason why they offered Reggie before George.  They've visited with Joseph a couple of times.  I think there is some very real interest there.

They did a mock draft tonight on nfl network.Charles Davis picked for the  Bengals.Only Fuller was left of the 1st rnd wr's.He passed on him and took the center  from Alabama(Ryan Kelly).He said Bodine has been a disappointment

They did a mock draft tonight on nfl network.Charles Davis picked for the  Bengals.Only Fuller was left of the 1st rnd wr's.He passed on him and took the center  from Alabama(Ryan Kelly).He said Bodine has been a disappointment

Actually he made a good pick imo.

If they really want to take the center, they could trade back a spot or two--there would not be a center-needy team who would absolutely have to have him before us.

First-rate centers are hard to come by...and I think of Alex Mack in particular. The choice itself (position not player) doesn't thrill me too much, but I would totally understand it if they did. I am not as down on Bodine as most, but if this guy is truly a Mack type, then you really couldn't lose.   

If they really want to take the center, they could trade back a spot or two--there would not be a center-needy team who would absolutely have to have him before us.

First-rate centers are hard to come by...and I think of Alex Mack in particular. The choice itself (position not player) doesn't thrill me too much, but I would totally understand it if they did. I am not as down on Bodine as most, but if this guy is truly a Mack type, then you really couldn't lose.   

NFL.com has him listed as a Bryan Stork comparison.

I would be cool with any one of those three first rounders.  Kelly is appealing due to the fact that he may be able to help jumpstart that run game.  Joseph could PUP and take over that free safety role if he knows the defense.  I think Joseph is going to be a star.

I agree 100% that Joseph kid is gonna be a good one him or the cb Jackson or even Kelly I would be good with the wrs though Im not high on any of them but Treadwell. I just feel like hes the perfect fit for Cincy.

I would be ecstatic to get Johnson in round 2. I watch every Penn State game and hes got potential to be a nice upgrade from Peko. I was also high on Still though. I will say he was dominant in college reminded me of Geno how fast he got off the ball but can't put him not living up to his potential on just him he was dealt a shitty hand to have to deal with at a very crucial time for him and he still handled it excellent. My vision could of been clouded by him living up the road from me and going to Penn State as well but I don't think that's the whole picture. I'm sure he would of performed better under different circumstances that being said can say was still proud of the kid the way he handled it all and he was a beast in college. I don't think any of that clouded vision comes into play with Johnson being from Penn State I would be psyched to get him in the 2nd.

Shawn Williams played really well in 5 starts last year. He's only 24-years old and just starting to enter his prime years. I don't understand the big rush to replace him. (I do like Joseph, but Safety is a 3rd or 4th round need for a good backup and makes no sense in round 1 IMO.)

S in round 1 would just about cause me to lose my mind. Williams has more than earned the starting gig.

What a waste of a pick Joseph would be. Good or not they don't need 4 good safeties. They have 2 starter worthy and a 3rd who has the potential to be very good. They need a mid round to late round safety to grab as the 4th and that is it.

The first 3-4 rounds need to upgrade areas of need or lacking youth. Like WR, DL, CB, C or LB.

Archived