Draft Day!!! 1st round picks thread

I can't believe we didn't get a premiere wide out. A DB is always great, but that wasn't our pressing need. 3 of the top 5 receivers are picked in sequence before our pick? Now it's time to wonder if the Bengal war room did anything to maybe trade up even one spot which would have done the trick. The Texans are starting to really piss me off as well.

I can't believe we didn't get a premiere wide out. A DB is always great, but that wasn't our pressing need. 3 of the top 5 receivers are picked in sequence before our pick? Now it's time to wonder if the Bengal war room did anything to maybe trade up even one spot which would have done the trick. The Texans are starting to really piss me off as well.

We don't need a premiere wideout.  We need a solid #2.

Not sure we take a WR in the next three rounds unless the staff thinks they can be a sure #2 wideout or they're the clear BPA.  If not, take one or two late or look for an under-the-radar type in UDFA's.  There should be quite a few veteran WR's become available between now and camp.  Guys that can be serviceable #2's for a year or so, then address it long-term in next year's draft or FA.

Given the situation with the top receivers gone, I like the pick. Really like the fact that he's got great recovery speed, has played a lot of man coverage, and he finds the ball. Not many CBs coming into the NFL have that.

Even if they tried to trade up a few spots, where was it gonna happen? Just bad luck that 3 teams wanted WRs just before them, and Cleveland screwed them when they took Coleman. There are other guys out there that can help them - Shepard (I think he's great, but he may be gone before 55), the two Thomases, Garrett, Boyd, etc. Remember the year they took Sanu and Marv Jones, that was a 3 and a 5, and the 5th rounder turned out to be the superior player. 

There'll be lots of good players still available tonight... Lots of good D-tackles, some WRs, some good OL, and some DEs like Kafusi, Dodd, Calhoun, Correa. 

I'm not sure that the pick would be different if Treadwell and Doctson were still there. This kid looks good, fills a need and fucked the stealers. Win win win. I agree that we could skip one at 55 also and I would be good with it. Unlike the 90s, I trust this team in the draft. I think they will go D again at 55. DT/LB/FS.

The Texans didn't mind drafting Fuller as a "#2" to DeAndre Hopkins. I believe in overpaying a little sometimes to get seemingly overstacked at a key position. I thought the big difference last year was Dalton being ballsier about throwing the ball. That seemed to open up the run game, instead of the other way around. I like what they did with what was available, but I still wish they would've traded up. Oh well. Maybe I'm wrong. We're probably gonna see Coleman and Doctson in October, and Fuller in December. Love to see our new corner, or any Bengal DB, come out on top in those match ups.

• 2 years later...
On 4/28/2016 at 11:13 PM, Jamie_B said:

Tyler Boyd is my #1 WR in the 2nd, maybe Michael Thomas, then if you want a project in the 3rd maybe Braxton Miller

Bump.

He's really turned into what I thought he had the potential to be.

TJ Houshmandzadeh 2.0

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Bump.

He's really turned into what I thought he had the potential to be.

TJ Houshmandzadeh 2.0

Yeah but you missed on Tyrek Hill in the 5th.  Slackard.  Boyd and Thomas definitely 2nd round home runs for their respective teams.  Too bad Boyd was a little dinged up last year.  Projecting for 96,1392 and 16TDs this year. Not shabby.

Thomas is tracking for 168 catches this year,  LOL. 

Archived