* RD 1 Bengals Select William Jackson III, CB *

Didn't have good luck with the last guy that we took from Houston.  Second time is a charm.  Think this dude has potential to be a shutdown guy.  Defense is going to be nasty this year.

Overview

Jackson started his career at Trinity Valley Junior College, and found himself a regular starter by the end of his first year with the Cougars in 2013. He stepped up his game as a junior to become a second-team American Athletic Conference pick (two interceptions, 10 pass breakups), ranking among the national leaders in pass breakups before suffering a sprained MCL late in the year. Jackson tweaked a knee during 2015, but started 12 of 13 games, again was named second-team all-conference and finished with five interceptions and 23 pass breakups, leading the nation in passes defended.

Analysis

Strengths

Good height and length. Stays low from a smooth backpedal. Plays with capable makeup speed when receivers get separation. Can click and close on throws in front of him with acceleration and has makeup speed deep. Possesses ball skills that defensive back coaches covet. Gets his head around to find ball on downfield throws and has excellent disruptive timing when attacking the throw. Instinctive and quick to diagnose and react to his keys. Allowed just 40 percent of passes thrown his way to be completed over last two years. Has feel for routes and will adjust coverage accordingly. Had three interceptions and scored two defensive touchdowns this season.

Weaknesses

Average play strength and isn't as physical from press coverage as he could be. Might be knocked around by big NFL receivers if he's asked to press. Will get upright when transitioning from backpedal. Shows momentary delay when opening to run which can put him behind in footrace with speedy receivers. Tape shows instance of him getting knocked off balance at the top of the route. Will get hung up on perimeter blocks and isn't aggressive in run support. Too willing to run around block in support against screens. Was flagged seven times for 73 yards.

Draft Projection

Rounds 1 or 2

NFL Comparison

Phillip Gaines

Bottom Line

Tall cornerbacks with length who can run and play the football are usually in high demand and that could be the case for Jackson as well. While he has the traits for the position, the league is turning into small and fast or big and strong at the receiver spot and handling those two elements could take a year or two for him to improve in before he becomes a full-­time starter.

Nope. :huh:

I didn't have any Rd 1 CB's though, as I thought the team didn't need one. Of the CB's, he is the fastest, so not a bad pick, but I am scratching my head about who they didn't take who was there.

I disagree.Adam is 32,Dre has been underwhelming,AND is in the last year of his contract,and we still don't know what Darquez can do.

lol

If you guys watched the impact that a shutdown corner like Josh Norman had last year, you are ALWAYS searching for a guy like that.  Adam played lights out last year, if we duplicate it on both sides this year, then fucking right.  Its a passing league and Denver shut it down last year and won a super bowl for that reason.

LOL, that mock draft happening on ESPN is hilarious.  A cornerback?? That's funny.  I can't wait until Saturday when this thing really begins. 

Pretending it was happening in Chicago was a nice touch.

LOL, that mock draft happening on ESPN is hilarious.  A cornerback?? That's funny.  I can't wait until Saturday when this thing really begins. 

Pretending it was happening in Chicago was a nice touch.

:lol:   

Archived