* RD 1 Bengals Select William Jackson III, CB *

Jackson looks like an awesome player. I don't see any flaws in his game.   Amazing ball skills too.  If it were a true battle for the starter spot in camp he would start over that overrated non play making , cb we have out there.  

We know it won't happen, but it should...

Unless he gets significant playing time this year it's a wasted pick for the 2016 teams playoff advancement chances- and advancing in the playoffs should be the only goal for this team

we dont draft for this year, we havent done that for a few years

Jackson looks like an awesome player. I don't see any flaws in his game.   Amazing ball skills too.  If it were a true battle for the starter spot in camp he would start over that overrated non play making , cb we have out there.  

Good Lord, you are always bitching about someone.  You must be one miserable nd.

Todd McShay: Steelers taking William Jackson III in first round

The Steelers' first round draft plans continue to become clearer. 

On Thursday, one day after Steelers ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler predicted that Pittsburgh will select Houston cornerback William Jackson III in the first round, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay made the same prediction, saying that the Steelers will take Jackson with the 25th pick. 

"The Steelers need to come out of this draft with upgrades at CB after allowing 272 passing yards per game last season," McShay said. "Jackson, who led the FBS with 28 pass breakups last season, has the best ball skills of any defensive back in this draft."

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Todd-McShay-Steelers-taking-William-Jackson-III-in-first-round-45053987

^ They call him Willo Island

He looks like AJ Green in that pic. Here's what I gather: the WR's we may have taken were gone when we picked so we went BPA and you literally can never have enough CB's in the NFL given the pass-driven offenses we have now versus even 15 years ago, so fuck the haters. It'll be interesting to see if the Bengals go WR with their next pick or DE/LB pass rusher, both of them are "needs" in my mind.

Here's the analytics dudes of ProFootballFocus.  NERD BONER!!

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/28/draft-2016-nfl-draft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-round-1-2/

24. Cincinnati Bengals: William Jackson III | Grade: A

An excellent pick by the Bengals, we may be talking about William Jackson as the best pure cornerback in the draft a few years from now. He’s intriguing because his +17.3 coverage grade ranked second in the nation, but he still has room to improve his technique both in press coverage and in zone. Throw in his 6-foot frame, sub-4.4 speed and excellent movement skills and Jackson has all of the tools to improve on his already-impressive production. Jackson flashes the downfield ball skills to become a playmaker in both a man or zone scheme and the Bengals may have gotten one of the steals of the draft.

....And here's their write-up of the Stealers pick.  I really, really love these nerds.

25. Pittsburgh Stealers: Artie Burns | Grade: D

In a mismatch of skillsets and scheme, the Stealers take Burns with the hope that they can develop his 6-foot plus frame into a dependable player. The problem here, much like the Apple pick to the Giants, is that the Stealers played more zone coverage than any team in the league last year and that’s where Burns has his struggles. His +2.8 coverage grade ranked 42nd in the draft class, and though he does show skills as a man coverage cornerback, but his overall game remains raw. If Pittsburgh plans on altering their scheme to play more man coverage, this pick makes more sense, but at this point, it’s an example of a cornerback’s size and speed moving him up a draft board at the expense of his on-field play.

Unless he gets significant playing time this year it's a wasted pick for the 2016 teams playoff advancement chances- and advancing in the playoffs should be the only goal for this team

Easy for you to say. So with what was left what the hell were you going to take? They weren't trading up to lose picks on the back end and doubtful anyone wanted to trade up. They took the best player on the board and likely a top 20 player in the draft. Don't be an idiot.

PS this team's playoff advancement chances happen alone with just getting Dalton back.

Sour puss

The more I think about this pick, the more I think it makes sense.

WR is the Bengals' biggest need, but the guys worth the # 24 pick got taken. At that point they have to go BPA from who was remaining.

It's important to be good at cb. Adam Jones was excellent last season but Dre Kirkpatrick still has a ways to go and Darquez Dennard is still unproven. The Stealers are the team the Bengals have to beat and they have a prolific passing attack. The Bengals have to be able to defend it.

I hope that they can get a WR and DT on Friday.

Archived