Round 6 Pick - Cody Core WR Ole Miss

6'3" 205 4.37 40

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Core was often overlooked on a team featuring Laquon Treadwell, but he closed out a very productive career by catching 37 passes for 644 yards and four touchdowns as a senior.

His career highs came in 2014. When Treadwell suffered a season-ending leg injury, Core stepped up to finish second on the team with 41 catches and fourth with 558 receiving yards.

The Auburn, Ala. native was a four-year letterwinner, seeing action in every game on special teams and at receiver as a freshman and seeing time at receiver, defensive back and on special teams as a sophomore in 2013.

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Uses his large hands (10 3/8-inches) and focus to finish off-target and contested throws. Was the best deep threat of the week during Shrine Game practices.

--Dane Brugler (1/21/16)

Right up there with Billings as my favorite pick of the draft so far. I think Core is going to be a rich-man's James Wright.

He'll be a key special-teamer (top notch gunner) and should be a very good #4 receiver too. Don't expect big stats, but think he'll be able to come in and make some occasional big plays and will be active every week due to his ST ability. 

Right up there with Billings as my favorite pick of the draft so far. I think Core is going to be a rich-man's James Wright.

He'll be a key special-teamer (top notch gunner) and should be a very good #4 receiver too. Don't expect big stats, but think he'll be able to come in and make some occasional big plays and will be active every week due to his ST ability. 

Maybe he'll be a #4 receiver eventually, but I suspect he is starting out behind guys like Burkhead (who I think will see a greatly increased role in 2016), Alford, and the regular man's James Wright for that job.  He's more likely to be competing with Hill and Kumerow for spots on the practice squad and maybe an outside shot at the last slot on the roster.

Maybe he'll be a #4 receiver eventually, but I suspect he is starting out behind guys like Burkhead (who I think will see a greatly increased role in 2016), Alford, and the regular man's James Wright for that job.  He's more likely to be competing with Hill and Kumerow for spots on the practice squad and maybe an outside shot at the last slot on the roster.

We'll see. Wright hasn't played in 18 months. I don't think Burkhead will move to full-time WR. Core is a better receiver than Alford IMO and unless Alford wins the punt return job (unlikely), Core also brings a whole lot more special-teams value.

I personally think Core wins the #4 job immediately. 

Core is a physical specimen and his production was pretty solid too when you consider the crazy amount of weapons Ole Miss had. Treadwell obviously went in the 1st round. They have a WR/TE hybrid named Evan Engram who would have probably been one of the top TE prospects had he left early for the draft. Their 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs (Adeboyejo, Stringfellow, etc.) are all potential NFL picks in the next year or two also. 

We'll see. Wright hasn't played in 18 months. I don't think Burkhead will move to full-time WR. Core is a better receiver than Alford IMO and unless Alford wins the punt return job (unlikely), Core also brings a whole lot more special-teams value.

I personally think Core wins the #4 job immediately. 

Core is a physical specimen and his production was pretty solid too when you consider the crazy amount of weapons Ole Miss had. Treadwell obviously went in the 1st round. They have a WR/TE hybrid named Evan Engram who would have probably been one of the top TE prospects had he left early for the draft. Their 3rd, 4th and 5th WRs (Adeboyejo, Stringfellow, etc.) are all potential NFL picks in the next year or two also. 

I think he is too raw and too inexperienced to get immediate playing time.  He's only been playing the position for a couple of years and all of his experience is in a gimmicky college spread offense.  The first time he ever worked out of a pro style offense was at the East-West Shrine game, and he acknowledged it was a huge transition.  He could develop into a hell of a player, but I think he needs a few years of seasoning first.

Sounds like we may have our replacements for Mohammad Sanu (Boyd) and Marvin Jones (Core), and I do like the fact that both of them have some special teams value as well.  It would make it easier to have both of them active since they can double as special teamers.    Not to mention I do like the size of them as well.   It goes well with Lafell, Green, Eifert, and Kroft.   In a way we could have a bit  of a forest.    Now we just need to have Dalton have the timing and feel for those two as well as Lafell, and the recievers would no longer be a sign of weakness.

Come to think of it,  thanks to Core,  I can't really see any other glaring, please-remedy-as-soon-as-possible issues for our current roster.

And we still have one draft pick to go, as well as the slew of UDFA that will emerge later on tonight as well as probably tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived