Not unless someone gets hurt or suspended.

I'd love to see him start at Will while Burfict is suspended, but I have a feeling Vinny Rey is going get those starts.  When Burfict comes back, he's strictly a backup.  He won't be taking snaps from Burfict, Dansby, or Maualuga, and he will probably be stuck behind Rey as the 5th LB. 

Burfict's suspension to open the season should give us a much better measure for how the team feels about Dawson.  If he can't beat Vinny Rey, then it's pretty unlikely they are still high on him.  If he does beat out Vinny, then there is hope that he might emerge and render Dansby or Maualuga redundant.

I think Hobson described Dansby as a "bridge" to Dawson in 2017. I took that to mean the Bengals weren't ready to trust Dawson with a significant role in 2016, but haven't given up on hope of him developing into a starter. That was before the pick of Vigil though, so who knows.

I like Jason's response of "if he earns it." Seems pretty clear that Dawson has a lot of natural talent. Good instincts and he's a thumper. But his work-ethic and maturity is what caused him to fall to pick 99 or whatever and it's also what put him in the doghouse for his rookie year. It's really all up to Dawson and how hard he prepares this offseason. If the guy just shows up on time to work every day and does his homework, he should end up a starter pretty soon. 

I think Hobson described Dansby as a "bridge" to Dawson in 2017. I took that to mean the Bengals weren't ready to trust Dawson with a significant role in 2016, but haven't given up on hope of him developing into a starter. That was before the pick of Vigil though, so who knows.

I like Jason's response of "if he earns it." Seems pretty clear that Dawson has a lot of natural talent. Good instincts and he's a thumper. But his work-ethic and maturity is what caused him to fall to pick 99 or whatever and it's also what put him in the doghouse for his rookie year. It's really all up to Dawson and how hard he prepares this offseason. If the guy just shows up on time to work every day and does his homework, he should end up a starter pretty soon. 

I think Vigil was pretty clearly drafted to be Dansby's understudy, while Dawson is Burfict's understudy.  Problem for Dawson is, Burfict is still young and is by far the best LB on the team. 

I think Vigil was pretty clearly drafted to be Dansby's understudy, while Dawson is Burfict's understudy.  Problem for Dawson is, Burfict is still young and is by far the best LB on the team. 

Not sure I buy that line of reasoning. Guenther/Hasleet said there isn't much difference between the outside LB roles and that they want their guys to learn each. He even explained in quite a bit of detail that if one of the starters goes down, the 4th LB goes in. Not the backup Sam, or Will or Mike, but just the next best LB overall. I think Dawson and Vigil are competing against each other and whoever comes out ahead will be higher in the pecking order should a starter get hurt.

From the 3rd round press conference:

Will he learn to play one spot first, or will you teach him all three linebacker spots right away?

Haslett: “He did play Mike for them and then on nickel, he would move to the dime position. So he can play all different spots. For us, the dime, the Will and the SAM are basically the same position and then you’ve got the Mike position. I think he’ll learn all three. If something’s happening, we’ll see how he progresses.”

Can he play any spot?

Guenther: “He can. I heard the question you guys asked Marvin, ‘Is a linebacker a linebacker?’ For us, the way we teach our system, we teach all those linebackers different traits, because if there are three linebackers on the field, the next-best player has to go out there and play if someone goes down. It’s not the next best MIKE linebacker, or the best outside linebacker; it’s the next best player. We have plenty of time with this guy, to teach him from inside and out. They need to know what’s going on to the guy next to him, and all those things. So we teach the system that way, so we give them chances to play both spots.”

I think Dansby get's Hawk's, who had supplanted Lamur as the stater, snaps.

I think this is wrong.

dansby was signed because he is still a good coverage linebacker.  His strength is covering TE's, which anyone watching this team the last five years will tell you we keep forgetting to do.  He and Tez are your nickel linebackers.

lamur played the nickel LB role, but was soft against the run so he was never a 3 down linebacker here.  Maualuga cannot cover a TE that runs faster than a 5.2 forty.  Hawk was a stop gap while Tez mended his head and knee, and was hardly ever used in nickel situations, since the only person he can cover is probably Maualuga.   ;)

As for Dawson, if he falls in line and does what Marvin asks (i.e. I see better than I hear) he will get snaps.  The coaches were very clear that Dawson did not do the things he was asked to do, and while he might be a gamer, that act doesn't fly with Marvin Lewis.

jimmy Johnson, yes.  Marvin Lewis, no.

The Bengals wouldn't have burned 3rd round picks on Paul Dawson or Nick Vigil if they didn't feel that those guys could, ultimately, become starters.

The skill sets that those guys bring to the table are very different, though.  In the short term, Vigil's best chance to contribute is in nickel, filling Lamur's role.  Vigil is quick and athletic, making him - in theory - good in coverage.

Paul Dawson, is a much more "down hill" linebacker.  His lack of foot speed is more likely to find him exposed against the pass.

Time will tell if either of these guys can rise to the level of "three down" contributors, but for now, I think Vigil will get on to the field against the pass, and Dawson will play more on run downs. 

I think he gets both.

He's going to lead the Bengals LBs in total snaps, and be right up there with Burfict in snaps/game.  The guy is a workhorse.

I think this is wrong.

dansby was signed because he is still a good coverage linebacker.  His strength is covering TE's, which anyone watching this team the last five years will tell you we keep forgetting to do.  He and Tez are your nickel linebackers.

lamur played the nickel LB role, but was soft against the run so he was never a 3 down linebacker here.  Maualuga cannot cover a TE that runs faster than a 5.2 forty.  Hawk was a stop gap while Tez mended his head and knee, and was hardly ever used in nickel situations, since the only person he can cover is probably Maualuga.   ;)

I'm just talking about playing time guys, you pidgin-hole them where you want them.

The Bengals wouldn't have burned 3rd round picks on Paul Dawson or Nick Vigil if they didn't feel that those guys could, ultimately, become starters.

The skill sets that those guys bring to the table are very different, though.  In the short term, Vigil's best chance to contribute is in nickel, filling Lamur's role.  Vigil is quick and athletic, making him - in theory - good in coverage.

Paul Dawson, is a much more "down hill" linebacker.  His lack of foot speed is more likely to find him exposed against the pass.

Time will tell if either of these guys can rise to the level of "three down" contributors, but for now, I think Vigil will get on to the field against the pass, and Dawson will play more on run downs. 

"If" is good.   

I think Dansby get's Hawk's, who had supplanted Lamur as the stater, snaps.

Dansby is the best coverage LB on the team. He's definitely taking Lamur's nickel snaps. He most likely will take Hawks too. Dansby is a 3 down backer and very good at it.

Can't see Dawson playing much this year. They were disappointed with how slowly he was picking things up last year. I think he will basically sit and learn from Dansby this year and hope he can contribute in 17.

Archived