Read that the Bengals put in a claim for him but he signed with San Diego due to them having the higher position on the waiver wire. 

Should we take anything away from this? Maybe the Bengals are looking to trade McCarron or would he just be an arm for training camp?

Probably just an upgraded #3 for training camp and insurance if either of the top two get hurt before the season. Not a threat to make the 53 without an injury IMO.

Mettenberger was really bad in Tennessee. Set the record for lowest QBR since they started keeping the stat 10 years ago. Supposed to be a mess off the field as well. 

Seems pretty clear to me that the Bengals, who only keep two QBs on the roster these days, saw in Mettenberger a chance to kick the tires on a QB who may have opened up trade options for McCarron. If someone were truly willing to deal a heft pick (or something else attractive) for AJ, the main issue holding the team back was the lack of a serviceable backup after that. Bringing in Mettenberger would have done just that. 

44 minutes ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Curious as to why in the world would they want to trade their backup QB who should have had the franchise's first PO win in however many years?

Because as soon as his contract is up and he hits free agency, he is gone like a cool breeze, anyway, and we get nothing for him.

Trade him now while he still has value accessible to the team rather than getting nothing when his contract is up.

2 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Curious as to why in the world would they want to trade their backup QB who should have had the franchise's first PO win in however many years?

As if he had much to do with that lol. This team keeled over and died and were content to let that be their fate until Vontaze Burfict single-handedly resurrected them (OK, maybe VB and the Defense). I guess the best thing we can say is that Hue "all bluster and no bite" Jackson has now moved on, so we can see if maybe not the 7th time in a row (or whatever it is) will be the charm and the offense can actually do something beside suck hard for a playoff game.

10 hours ago, alleycat said:

As if he had much to do with that lol. This team keeled over and died and were content to let that be their fate until Vontaze Burfict single-handedly resurrected them (OK, maybe VB and the Defense). I guess the best thing we can say is that Hue "all bluster and no bite" Jackson has now moved on, so we can see if maybe not the 7th time in a row (or whatever it is) will be the charm and the offense can actually do something beside suck hard for a playoff game.

Taz and the D played lights out no doubt about that (well except after Jeremy fumbled), but as much as you are a "Dalton didnt suck in the playoffs, the team did" you can't minimize what AJ did here if that was your position there. AJ doesnt connect to AJ putting us ahead and it's over. AJ Mac wasnt all pro by any stretch of the imagination, but he did what he needed to do to get us the lead.

That team was DOA in the third quarter. Without being resurrected by Vontaze Burfict, AJ McCarron (AKA Football Jesus)  - along with the rest of the offense -- was in its typical fetal fold-up position. A long ball to AJ is nice, but let's not act like 1 pass determines anything, because then you'd have to give Dalton credit for big plays he made in the playoffs (or somehow forgive AJ for dropping wide open TDs). The only thing we know from watching AJ McCarron play was that the offense sucked all the same with him. Now a logical person might take that to mean that the QB hasn't been the problem, but logic has never been in plentiful supply around here.

I realize you want to drag Dalton into this, but my overall statement stands. This offense has been utter shit in playoffs and Games That Count and nothing happened last year to change that narrative. The only place Dalton is relevant is that it's a shame we didn't get to see him carry his Franchise Best Ever regular season performance into the off-season. 

And now all we can do is hope that the off-season changes will somehow create conditions that will allow the playoff offense to not suck THIS time around...

AJ is a fine backup and had them in position to win that game...

Our QB situation is in really good shape as a whole..

Mettenberger would have just been a camp arm in case someone got hurt...and he's somewhere else..fuck him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, alleycat said:

That team was DOA in the third quarter. Without being resurrected by Vontaze Burfict, AJ McCarron (AKA Football Jesus)  - along with the rest of the offense -- was in its typical fetal fold-up position. A long ball to AJ is nice, but let's not act like 1 pass determines anything, because then you'd have to give Dalton credit for big plays he made in the playoffs (or somehow forgive AJ for dropping wide open TDs). The only thing we know from watching AJ McCarron play was that the offense sucked all the same with him. Now a logical person might take that to mean that the QB hasn't been the problem, but logic has never been in plentiful supply around here.

I realize you want to drag Dalton into this, but my overall statement stands. This offense has been utter shit in playoffs and Games That Count and nothing happened last year to change that narrative. The only place Dalton is relevant is that it's a shame we didn't get to see him carry his Franchise Best Ever regular season performance into the off-season. 

And now all we can do is hope that the off-season changes will somehow create conditions that will allow the playoff offense to not suck THIS time around...

It was more than one deep ball. Further if we want to press it the D played well when Big Ben was out hurt, not as well when he wasnt. Bottom line is that he did enough to give us the lead before Hill fumbled and the D couldnt stop a Big Ben final drive.

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

It was more than one deep ball. Further if we want to press it the D played well when Big Ben was out hurt, not as well when he wasnt. Bottom line is that he did enough to give us the lead before Hill fumbled and the D couldnt stop a Big Ben final drive.

Seriously, give me a fucking break.  On back to break plays, Burfict single handedly destroyed them -- including the play that took Ben out.  THAT was the catalyst.  Anything after that was, by definition, not the spark, because Burfict himself was the Spark. 

And obviously anyone with a single brain cell knows that Jeremy Hill, and by some extension the coaches who didn't tell him to hold onto the ball with two hands and drop to a fucking knee if he had too, was the one who actually lost that game. Trying to play the game is just evidence that you'd rather have a rhetorical disagreement than use your head.

Just now, alleycat said:

Seriously, give me a fucking break.  On back to break plays, Burfict single handedly destroyed them -- including the play that took Ben out.  THAT was the catalyst.  Anything after that was, by definition, not the spark, because Burfict himself was the Spark. 

And obviously anyone with a single brain cell knows that Jeremy Hill, and by some extension the coaches who didn't tell him to hold onto the ball with two hands and drop to a fucking knee if he had too, was the one who actually lost that game. Trying to play the game is just evidence that you'd rather have a rhetorical disagreement than use your head.

You are so cute when you attempt to insult. Shame I dont take you seriously.

This isnt hard. Hill's fumble combine with the metldown on D on the last drive caused us that game. Otherwise we would have won. I'm not sure what narrative your trying to play here but that's pretty much how it went down.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You are so cute when you attempt to insult. Shame I dont take you seriously.

This isnt hard. Hill's fumble combine with the metldown on D on the last drive caused us that game. Otherwise we would have won. I'm not sure what narrative your trying to play here but that's pretty much how it went down.

My insults are conditional. If you think ______, then it means __________.  

As for Hill's fumble versus the penalties, I know you have an agenda, and that's cute, but that doesn't change the fact that the universe still operates in linear sequence. Those penalties wouldn't have happened but for the fumble. No fumble equals no defense on the field. No fumble equals victory. 

The fumble lost the game.

EDIT: Even the guy who fumbled and lost the game knows it and has publicly stated this obvious fact, so I don't know why you can't accept that, other than previous alluded-to possibilities. 

4 hours ago, alleycat said:

My insults are conditional. If you think ______, then it means __________.  

As for Hill's fumble versus the penalties, I know you have an agenda, and that's cute, but that doesn't change the fact that the universe still operates in linear sequence. Those penalties wouldn't have happened but for the fumble. No fumble equals no defense on the field. No fumble equals victory. 

The fumble lost the game.

EDIT: Even the guy who fumbled and lost the game knows it and has publicly stated this obvious fact, so I don't know why you can't accept that, other than previous alluded-to possibilities. 

Your insults are passive aggressive, but as I said I don't take you seriously enough to be insulted.

I don't disagree with any of that re: Hill, however it still doesn't change that the D has to go out and play 60 minutes of football like everyone else, and it still doesnt change the fact that after Hill's fumble the Stealers were not in intimidate scoring position. That's the "linear sequence" of it. So whether you like it or not the D does have some responsibility in that loss too. That isnt up for debate.

Further I'm not exactly sure what agenda it is you think I have? The one where you give AJ Mac enough credit for not going out and Jon Kitnaing up the game? If that's the case guilty as charged.

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

The "Sounds of the game" from that contest clearly shows both Hue and Marvin clearly stressing to Hill to hang onto the ball moments before that play.. Not that they should have had to. But the coaches are not to blame on that one.

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

yes, completing a pass and scoring a go ahead TD in bad weather in crunch time on the big stage, you know, giving him the same # of TD passes in the palyoffs in 1 game than andy has in 4. also having us in a position to win against the superbowl champs, on their field, in the coldest game he ever played in, on MNF? those are NOT the makings of a decent pro starter.. who came in late in the season with minimal first team reps... total scrub. 

its not like andy threw a pick in the backfield on a RB screen and broke his thumb trying to tackle the guy or anything.. or dove alone untouched and fumbled without being touched in the playoffs before.. 

i dont know why they keep calling us the Bengals...

im sure his 5th time will be it.. they always say freshman, sophmore, junior and senior slumps, 6th year senior is when nfl QB's hit their stride...

12 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

yes, completing a pass and scoring a go ahead TD in bad weather in crunch time on the big stage, you know, giving him the same # of TD passes in the palyoffs in 1 game than andy has in 4. also having us in a position to win against the superbowl champs, on their field, in the coldest game he ever played in, on MNF? those are NOT the makings of a decent pro starter.. who came in late in the season with minimal first team reps... total scrub. 

its not like andy threw a pick in the backfield on a RB screen and broke his thumb trying to tackle the guy or anything.. or dove alone untouched and fumbled without being touched in the playoffs before.. 

i dont know why they keep calling us the Bengals...

im sure his 5th time will be it.. they always say freshman, sophmore, junior and senior slumps, 6th year senior is when nfl QB's hit their stride...

Your single-minded devotion to this cause is impressive

If you can keep a guy like that in your back pocket and a team has an injury at quarterback during the season, you have the ability to make a trade. At this point, even if a team is desperate, you probably can't trade McCarron. I'm hoping the market dries up, but it seems like the potential return is not going to be as great as we once thought it would be for McCarron.

On 5/18/2016 at 6:51 PM, Jupiter Fan said:

Because he's not the reason they were in that game. He is not a good QB. He has some trade value and will be gone as soon as his contract ends. Plus back during that draft Rappaport or Schefter tweeted that the team was debating Mccarron/Mettenberger and they went with Hue's choice which was Mccarron. Mentioned that it was pretty split as they had the same grade on them.

21 hours ago, SocalBengalEd said:

I was pulling for AJ in the playoff game of course but let's be clear.  That was all Burfict .   Who pretty much single handedly carried the Bengals 

And AJ Green making the best play he's made as a Bengal when he attacked that shitty prayer Mccarron threw up and Green went up and got it for the TD.

Archived