Bengals to work out Freeney

I will never forget him abusing Levi Jones in the RCA dome on MNF. He just looked so fast out on that turf. He's obviously not coming in to play SAM backer like Harrison was used. I would dig it.

58 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

Freeney's annual sack totals dropped significantly when he switched from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB in 2012.  So maybe it would be a good thing if he went back to a 4-3.

Or maybe his sack totals dropped because he got older.  

I think it's almost entirely that he got older. He ran a 4.38 or something crazy like that coming out of Syracuse. He's definitely not that type of athlete at 36. That's really old for a DE. For comparison's sake, he's 3.5 years older than Robert Geathers...

But I think he could still get you 6-8 sacks a year playing only on 3rd-and-long and other obvious passing situations.

For the Bengals to sign him, I think they'd probably have to cut bait with either Hunt or Clarke because I don't see them keeping 5 DEs. I'm fine with that (especially Hunt), but not sure the Bengals are there yet. 

I think signing him and Hartline would go a long way toward filling the depth in the 2 most needy positions and shouldn't break the bank. Freeney had decent numbers in AZ for how he was used. He's a little long in the tooth, but for what he's lost in speed, he's gained in old man trickery.

17 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I think signing him and Hartline would go a long way toward filling the depth in the 2 most needy positions and shouldn't break the bank. Freeney had decent numbers in AZ for how he was used. He's a little long in the tooth, but for what he's lost in speed, he's gained in old man trickery.

Signing Hartline and Freeney is a good idea but I would rather wait and see who else becomes available as it's still fairly early in the offseason. I have a feeling some talented players will be available in the coming months, I'm talking about productive vets that could come in as a back up and provide stability and leadership to our young roster. 

1 minute ago, PatternMaster said:

Signing Hartline and Freeney is a good idea but I would rather wait and see who else becomes available as it's still fairly early in the offseason. I have a feeling some talented players will be available in the coming months, I'm talking about productive vets that could come in as a back up and provide stability and leadership to our young roster. 

I agree. On one hand, we shouldn't commit too early and wait and see who's available. But there's also the bird in hand deal where we don't want to lose out on a good player while waiting for something better.

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

I think it's almost entirely that he got older. He ran a 4.38 or something crazy like that coming out of Syracuse. He's definitely not that type of athlete at 36. That's really old for a DE. For comparison's sake, he's 3.5 years older than Robert Geathers...

But I think he could still get you 6-8 sacks a year playing only on 3rd-and-long and other obvious passing situations.

For the Bengals to sign him, I think they'd probably have to cut bait with either Hunt or Clarke because I don't see them keeping 5 DEs. I'm fine with that (especially Hunt), but not sure the Bengals are there yet. 

Not until September they wouldn't (or late August, whenever the last cut day is).  By that time it should be clear who the best DEs are.

2 hours ago, happyrid said:

For the Bengals to sign him, I think they'd probably have to cut bait with either Hunt or Clarke

In 2015, Freeney had 9 tackles, 8 of which were sacks and 3 forced fumbles in 11 games.  Hunt/Clarke have 12 total tackles in their careers combined.   No problem here cutting bait.

2 hours ago, Dautcom08 said:

In 2015, Freeney had 9 tackles, 8 of which were sacks and 3 forced fumbles in 11 games.  Hunt/Clarke have 12 total tackles in their careers combined.   No problem here cutting bait.

I'm finished with Hunt personally. He's shown next to nothing in 3 years. 

Will be interesting to see if the Bengals have finally given up hope and are willing to cut him. 

2 hours ago, Who Dey Forever said:

If possible , I'd love for us to get Freeney and Boldin 

I'd love to see Freeney.

Not really feeling Boldin though. He's 36 and slow as hell. I'd much rather see what Boyd, LaFell, Core and those guys can do. Maybe if one of those guys gets injured in camp or something, but even then, there should be better options. 

1 hour ago, MichaelWeston said:

I actually bet we sign one either in camp or the beginning of the year. There are so many now that there isn't a rush. 

I think we may well sign a WR. I'll be shocked if he is over 31 and surprised if he is over 29.

21 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

'meh

reminds me of when we finally got Sam Adams....

over the hill

Guessing you didn't watch him last year then. He had 8 sacks in like 250 snaps. He was great in the reserved rushing role. He also absolutely obliterated Andrew Whitworth in our game against Arizona last year to get a key sack on Dalton. He just can't log 450+ snaps anymore but using him to give MJ/Dunlap some breathers while also providing a talent would go a long way in keeping our pass rush strong. Neither Clarke nor Hunt provide this.

18 hours ago, Jason said:

Ancient receivers aren't going to happen anymore.

And it shouldn't happen either.

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

I suppose neither are suddenly ankle-surgery-required TE's on this roster.

It wasn't sudden. It's been monitored hoping to avoid surgery like all patients/doctors try to do. It was either do the surgery now or wait until next offseason to do it. If it was during the season or already in training camp that is the type of surgery that just goes on the back burner. I've dealt with this stupid injury surgically left ankle, non-surgically right ankle.

I'm in Atlanta.  He is coming here and that's all sports talk was going on and on about today. He wants to play for a playoff contender and Atl is not that.  But, Arthur Blank will roll out to red carpet and the facilities are top notch. 

Hopefully he sees the better opportunity in cinci.

Archived