Bengals Extend Gio Bernard

3 years is about right for a player of his size and skill.  Certainly doesn't seem to be an overpay to me.  I can at times be blinded by my loyalty... but I continue to LOVE what the brass in this organization does under Duke's control.

Man I hope it's 3 new years, $15 million on top of the $1 million he's getting this year, i.e. 4 years, $16 million total. That sounds much more reasonable that 3 years, $15 million total, which would be 2 new years for $14 million. I really liked the Shawn Williams contract but this one is a bit harder to understand given how veteran running backs are paid peanuts these days.

Awesome news. I suspect that will look like a huge bargain next March.

Not counting the older guys like Whit, Peko, Dansby, LaFell, etc. our only two key starters who will be unrestricted next spring are Dre K. and Zeitler.

Dre and Kevin are going to be tougher to get early extensions done with than Gio and S. Williams were. Gio and Shawn were set to make less than $1M in 2016 and hadn't had big paydays. Dre and Kevin are both set to make $8M this year and have a lot less incentive to do an early deal. 

1 minute ago, SlantNGo said:

Man I hope it's 3 new years, $15 million on top of the $1 million he's getting this year, i.e. 4 years, $16 million total. That sounds much more reasonable that 3 years, $15 million total, which would be 2 new years for $14 million. I really liked the Shawn Williams contract but this one is a bit harder to understand given how veteran running backs are paid peanuts these days.

Maybe they think of him as a hell of a lot more than an average veteran running back.. And I agree with them. Gio is a serious weapon when the offense is healthy.

Good deal..they caps just keep going up and up anyway...

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

Maybe they think of him as a hell of a lot more than an average veteran running back.. And I agree with them. Gio is a serious weapon when the offense is healthy.

Good deal..they caps just keep going up and up anyway...

What are we considering veteran ? He's only 24 and yeah they dos he averaged 6 yards a touch first in nfl this past season

6 hours ago, SlantNGo said:

Yeah, it's 4 years total now. He won't hit FA until 2020. 

Based upon the few details that are out there and how the Bengals always structure these contracts (half signing bonus/half roster bonus), here is an educated guess as to Gio's cap numbers:

2016-$4.8M

2017-$3.6M

2018-$4.1M

2019-$4.6M

47 minutes ago, Griever said:

Nice. I wonder if this will have any effect on who is labeled "the starter". Personally I feel like their time on the field will end up being close to even when everything is all said and done.

Yeah, probably pretty close to 50/50. 

Last year, Gio played 628 snaps and Jeremy played 506. 

So something like a 55/45 split in favor of Gio in 2015, which seems about right going forward. 

Probably overpaying for a RB. But we got the money and it's not grossly overpaying. It's only overpaying because RBs get so little and rotate so much. 

In the end I would say great deal. We don't have to worry about RB for atleast 2 more years in anyway. We can stick with the 4 that make it this year and do the developmental 2 on the PS. 

3 hours ago, Griever said:

Nice. I wonder if this will have any effect on who is labeled "the starter". Personally I feel like their time on the field will end up being close to even when everything is all said and done.

I think Gio will again end up with more carries, he doesn't rely so much on interior blocking to be successful.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

I think Gio will again end up with more carries, he doesn't rely so much on interior blocking to be successful.

FWIW, Hill actually has had more carries than Bernard both seasons he has been here.

223 to 154 in Hill's favor last year.

222 to 168 in Hill's favor in 2014.

When you add in catches, Hill has averaged about 250 touches per season while Gio has been around 210. Seems about right to me. We need two good RBs, because nobody is going to hold up to 400+ touches per season for long.

42 minutes ago, happyrid said:

FWIW, Hill actually has had more carries than Bernard both seasons he has been here.

When you add in catches, Hill has averaged about 250 touches per season while Gio has been around 210. Seems about right to me. We need two good RBs, because nobody is going to hold up to 400+ touches per season for long.

This sounds about right to me. I never thought of Gio as the proverbial "bellcow". Get him where he's the most dangerous...open space

1 hour ago, happyrid said:

Interesting!  I guess I thought it was closer to even because Gio was so much more productive.

On that note, I wonder how many carries they'll get with a former QB coach running the offense. 

Archived