Dalton at 35!!

35. Andy Dalton - QB, Cincinnati Bengals 5

NFL.com Illustration

35. Andy Dalton - QB, Cincinnati Bengals

Andy Dalton's efficiency was through the roof last season. His TD-INT ratio was a career-high 3.57, which was significantly higher than his previous best (1.69) done in 2012. But it was his increase in passer rating that showcased just how much better he got from 2014 to 2015.

Dalton raised his passer rating 22.7 points between 2014 (83.5) and 2015 (106.2). That represented the largest jump among all quarterbacks with 20+ starts over the last 2 seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000669865

I can't wait to see if Andy can make these WR's not named AJ Green better, he has the knowledge of the offense and talent to get the job done. Dalton had Sanu and Jones for the majority of his career, so with the turnover at the WR position it's going to be on Andy's shoulders to get these new guys up to speed and make them better NFL players. 

The great QB's in the NFL make average WR's good and good WR's great. Look at Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, and even Russel Wilson for a few examples. they all have average to mediocre WR corps but their talent level allows them to raise the play of their teammates and they are still able to win and put up big numbers. Dalton is at a stage in his career where he can be the guy who can put his team on his back and lead them to the playoffs and beyond, he just has to prove it. 

11 hours ago, cnbengal said:

What will also be interesting to see is if Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu can maintain their level of play or if Andy made them look better.  

That will be interesting, especially since Stafford and Ryan were #1overall picks. Sanu will  be opposite Jones with a dynamic RB and demands the safeties attention. I think he's in the best situation to succeed. 

Can Marvin Jones be the guy in Detroit, because he's going to get the opportunity. If he can stay healthy I like his chances.

23 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Can Marvin Jones be the guy in Detroit, because he's going to get the opportunity. If he can stay healthy I like his chances.

Really?  He's being asked to replace one of (if not the) best WR in the last 20 years, possibly ever.  Jones was ok here but I've never seen him make plays even remotely on the level of Megatron.  He was good at times against weaker coverage & has never been the focus of a defense. He could be pretty good in Detroit and that would still be a huge drop-off.  Much like Hue Jackson, I think he has put himself in a situation where it will be very difficult to succeed.  Unlike Cleveland where an 8-8 season would be considered an accomplishment, the bar for Jones is set ridiculously high.

On 6/20/2016 at 11:13 PM, cnbengal said:

What will also be interesting to see is if Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu can maintain their level of play or if Andy made them look better.  

Mo disappeared for long periods of time. Whether it was due to him not getting separation or how he was game planned, his level of play was meh IMHO. I was indifferent on him walking, but was a little bummed about Marvin.

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Really?  He's being asked to replace one of (if not the) best WR in the last 20 years, possibly ever.  Jones was ok here but I've never seen him make plays even remotely on the level of Megatron.  He was good at times against weaker coverage & has never been the focus of a defense. He could be pretty good in Detroit and that would still be a huge drop-off.  Much like Hue Jackson, I think he has put himself in a situation where it will be very difficult to succeed.  Unlike Cleveland where an 8-8 season would be considered an accomplishment, the bar for Jones is set ridiculously high.

He doesn't have to be Megatron 2.0 to be a good #1 WR.  

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

No one is expecting him to be the next Megatron, just beat double teams and be better than Golden Tate.

Jones is a fighter that has great potential, he's going to have a big armed QB that can make any throw . If he stays healthy he can have a good season, it's not like he's a scrub.  

4 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

No one is expecting him to be the next Megatron,

Not most Bengals fans, maybe, but I think it's fair to say the folks in Detroit have higher expectations.  He's being asked to fill some big, big shoes. 

18 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Not most Bengals fans, maybe, but I think it's fair to say the folks in Detroit have higher expectations.  He's being asked to fill some big, big shoes. 

If they are expecting Megatron they are fools.

22 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Calvin Johnson did not have more than 1,200 yards and 9 TDs in his last 2 seasons.  If Jones stays healthy he can replicate that production.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Calvin Johnson did not have more than 1,200 yards and 9 TDs in his last 2 seasons.  If Jones stays healthy he can replicate that production.

Maybe.  Jones's best season was about 2/3rd's of those numbers, & that's with AJ & Eifert giving him a lot of 1 vs 1 opportunities..

He seems cool & all so I'd like to see him do well but it's definitely a gamble on Detroit's part. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe.  Jones's best season was about 2/3rd's of those numbers, & that's with AJ & Eifert giving him a lot of 1 vs 1 limiting his opportunities..

He seems cool & all so I'd like to see him do well but it's definitely a gamble on Detroit's part. 

Fixt. :) 

15 hours ago, Jason said:

Fixt. :) 

You screwed it up, didn't fix it. Take away Eifert or AJ and Jones opportunity decreases a lot. He had his success because he was getting crappy DBs on him because all of the focus was on the other two. He can't do much when he has a top notch DB or double team on him. He's going to disappoint in Detroit.

2 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

You screwed it up, didn't fix it. Take away Eifert or AJ and Jones opportunity decreases a lot. He had his success because he was getting crappy DBs on him because all of the focus was on the other two. He can't do much when he has a top notch DB or double team on him. He's going to disappoint in Detroit.

His targets were much lower because of Eifert and AJ.

19 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Maybe.  Jones's best season was about 2/3rd's of those numbers, & that's with AJ & Eifert giving him a lot of 1 vs 1 opportunities..

I agree it's a gamble but when you consider that Detroit just lost their top WR, one of the best in the NFL, to an early and unexpected retirement then it makes more sense.

Jones was the best WR available in FA, he's in the prime of his career, and he has had big time production.(10 TD's in 2013) They made him the 13th highest paid player at his position, a 5 year deal worth $8mm per...not cheap but not breaking the bank. I personally think they overpaid but at the same time the Bengals reportedly offered him the same deal so if more than one team is trying to sign him for that amount then that's his market value. 

AJ is getting $15 million per year, I would say Marvin is worth almost half of that. 

18 hours ago, Jason said:

His targets were much lower because of Eifert and AJ.

And his effectiveness would be much much lower because he's benefiting by having 2 great talents taking all of the concerns of the D. He's not going to keep the same catch per target rate when he's actually going against defenses planning for him. He disappeared way too much against the bad part of defenses. He had a good niche role and filled it well, but he is not anywhere close to the WR this board turned him into this year.

And last year people were freaking out about WRs while a few of us were saying they were fine with Marvin Jones back from the foot injury as the 3rd option and people acted like we were insane. Somehow that completely reversed by him doing at the very least what someone in his position should have done.

Archived