anyone else cut the cord and ditched cable tv completely?

GoBengals

yesterday, for both financial and practical purposes i suspended my directv service. I would have to pay $200 to cancel, so before i do that i wanted to do a test run that everyone wouldnt be miserable and missing directv. we have an apple tv on every TV, so we have hulu, netflix, HBO Go, etc. also i can torrent shows as needed, for fox, nbc, cbs if a cable login is needed i use my sisters dish network, so i can get most of those apps live as well. If needed cbs has a $5.99/mo package and so on. Right before football season is key, i can get sunday ticket via the xbox a la cart, So iam curious if the cbs and nbc and espn apps will allow me to watch the live local broadcast games streaming for when i am blacked out on sunday ticket, last year 6 games were local broadcast for the bengals.

should be an interesting month. and if it goes well we will cut the cable/sat cord for good.

also just saw time warner bought into hulu, so i expect more current programming to hit there, and apple tv is working on inexpensive basic subscription packages. the next tvOS update is said to include a tv guide type system for looking for shows to watch with one click watching..

i hope i am ahead of the curve and not just taking a blind leap here.

You might also want to look into the Sling TV app, they have a skinny package of basic networks for like $20 bucks through the Apple TV. My setup is pretty much the same as yours, although last year I had the NFL GamePass and also I lived in Portland so local blackouts were a non-factor and therefore Sunday Ticket through Xbox a no-brainer. This year, we'll be back in Cincinnati by kickoff so I might not go Sunday Ticket, just Redzone Channel. I suggest just getting a nice Digital Antenna to pick up local networks and broadcasts over the air.

HBONow (requires no cable subscription), Hulu (the extra 4 bucks for no commercials totally worth it), Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling TV maybe, digital antennas, Sunday Ticket and/or Gamepass, torrentz, and of course YouTube, and I think youre golden.

Sent from my iPad using Go-Bengals.com

14 hours ago, GoCommando said:

You might also want to look into the Sling TV app, they have a skinny package of basic networks for like $20 bucks through the Apple TV. My setup is pretty much the same as yours, although last year I had the NFL GamePass and also I lived in Portland so local blackouts were a non-factor and therefore Sunday Ticket through Xbox a no-brainer. This year, we'll be back in Cincinnati by kickoff so I might not go Sunday Ticket, just Redzone Channel. I suggest just getting a nice Digital Antenna to pick up local networks and broadcasts over the air.

HBONow (requires no cable subscription), Hulu (the extra 4 bucks for no commercials totally worth it), Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling TV maybe, digital antennas, Sunday Ticket and/or Gamepass, torrentz, and of course YouTube, and I think youre golden.

Sent from my iPad using Go-Bengals.com

great advice on the sling tv option, do you know if dish network subscribers can get a discount or use it free? i cant find it anywhere. my sister has dish. 

I was paying for HBO now, going to axe it and go with hbo Go, and showtime anywhere, a friend has those on directv and will give me logins.

HULU, i scored on this, people on ebay for a while were selling year subscriptions for like $15-20, so i bought like $100 worth a few years ago, im still subscribed to hulu commercial free for like 3 more years prepaid up. and time warner just bought into them, so im curious where that goes.

digital anteannas dont work for shit where i live, tried that when we moved in and couldnt afford cable at first, im sure a roof mount good one would work, but it sounds like sling replaced that need i think.

i have amazon prime prepaid for 10 more months as well.

my one big miss is Altitude sports, for nuggets games.... 

Since I got my own apartment over a year ago I never bought cable and just did the hd antenna along with Netflix and Hulu and personally I love it miss watching some of my sports I could see on cable but It is definitely worth using streaming services over paying the outrageous cable bills

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

it seems like Vue is slightly better than SLing as far as cost/channel ratio and amount of devices you can stream at once, BUT the only device on earth PSVue cant stream to is apple tv, which is what i am using everywhere...

cant decide if sling is worth it.... a few more days on the trial

Sling is pretty average, having some quality issues, i dont know if comcast is throttling(assume so) or what, i have 150MB internet service. and its getting degraded quality often, and cutting out a second or two here or there

the native tv apps seem to work well, but im having issues with those as well. 

21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Had TWC briefly and it just wasn't worth it.  Not much of a casual TV-watcher so my broadband & a couple of subscriptions pretty well covers it.  Can watch the Bengals OTA with a halfway decent antenna. 

i would be in a much better spot if i was cincy local. OTA would solve most of my issues. sadly the non football local teams play on cable only channels.

i can get whatever the local braodcast is.. which IS bengals 1/3rd the time. broncos always play the late game

4 hours ago, GoBengals said:

i would be in a much better spot if i was cincy local. OTA would solve most of my issues. sadly the non football local teams play on cable only channels.

i can get whatever the local braodcast is.. which IS bengals 1/3rd the time. broncos always play the late game

The money the NFL could rake in by offering a blackout-free streaming service.. Makes no sense to me.  Watching online through an.. er, nonsanctioned website is a real PITA, tend to be shit quality & cut out at the worst possible moment. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jason said:

As long as DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket I'm not going anywhere.  Been with them since 2004.

you can get sunday ticket without directv if you are cunning enough, i got to the point where the only things i watch directv for were Nuggets games and Sunday ticket, so all in all im out Nuggets games, but i will attempt a VPN + NBA League Pass and see how that goes.

going to watch sunday ticket via my xbox or ps4, 

On August 27, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Enon Bengal said:

I've been itching to cancel TWC. Direct TV with AT&T internet might be a really good option...

...but change is so hard :lol:

Don't let it be.  I have been with DirecTV since 2004 and am very happy with them.  Usually when there is an issue it's with a sub-contractor, and when it happens DirecTV has been very willing to take care of it and make up for it.

Archived