Bodine Is Back!!!!

23 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

He's not as awful as PFF or CincyJungle goes on, but he's definitely the weakest link of the 22 starters. I wish PFF and CincyJungle would both just disappear though.

Nobody is as good or as bad as PFF makes them out to be (except Evan Mathis of course)

I have no idea how good Bodine will or won't be. He's definitely still a work in progress and is a weak spot on the line currently. But I also remember Braham was a fan favorite whipping boy for many years before he got his shit together and is now celebrated as one of our best. 

Give me any offensive lineman and I'll give you 4 or 5 plays a game I could cherry pick and go "Look at how bad _______________ is!". Defensive guys get paid too, and if anyone out there has a game tape of a O-Lineman paying a perfect game, then the D-Lineman across from him will be looking for a job come Monday.

PFF - They had Cleveland ranked as the 5th best offensive line last year. By their own metrics, Cleveland was not a top 10 team in either run or pass blocking. Mmmmkay...

And here's the rub with PFF - Many writers, many viewpoints. Their "Game tracking" is done on a volunteer basis. If your team isn't one of the main two guy's favorites, you don't know who's grading the Bengals-Lions. Offensive line is hard enough to grade.

All offensive linemen have stats, but they’re largely a matter of interpretation. Grades are often reflected in percentages, such as 82% or 93%. Although variations exist across all 32 teams, the gist is simple: a lineman gets a plus (+) for completing his assignment and a minus (-) when he fails. If a team runs 100 plays and a lineman gets 90 plusses his mark will be 90%—a solid game. An All-Pro grades between 89-93% while an average player grades between 85-89%.

So, 3 plays out of a normal game of ~70 snaps on offense is the difference between Canton and Citgo. And everyone has 7-10 bad ones no matter how good they are.

“It's very hard to do it independently. Last season was my eighth year and I still can't always tell who messed up when watching film of other teams.” - Eric Winston

“The only people who know whether a player screwed up are the guys in that meeting room,” allows Sam Monson, a Pro Football Focus analyst. “We try to counter that by only grading what a player attempts to do, rather than guessing what he was supposed to do.”

6 hours ago, Lucid said:

I have no idea how good Bodine will or won't be. He's definitely still a work in progress and is a weak spot on the line currently. But I also remember Braham was a fan favorite whipping boy for many years before he got his shit together and is now celebrated as one of our best. 

And that he is surrounded by 3-4 pro bowl quality players at almost any point in his career so far.

The center position has been an issue since Braham started getting hurt.  Bodine is an upgrade over Guy-suck, but is still the weakest link on the line.  After a couple decades of rock solid centers the Bengals have had trouble drafting this position.  Braham was a project.  Even Dave Rimington wasn't what they had hoped back in the 80s.  Puzzler.  Curse of Bob Johnson?

5 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

The center position has been an issue since Braham started getting hurt.  Bodine is an upgrade over Guy-suck, but is still the weakest link on the line.  After a couple decades of rock solid centers the Bengals have had trouble drafting this position.  Braham was a project.  Even Dave Rimington wasn't what they had hoped back in the 80s.  Puzzler.  Curse of Bob Johnson?

I think the trouble is Paul Alexander's vision of what he wants his center to be is the problem. His vision for T/G seems to be legit but at C he seems to just not have a clue.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

I wish we'd just draft a pure center in the first or second round next draft and be done with it, no more guys sliding over from other interior positions.

Get on board the Pat Elflein boat with me!

14 minutes ago, jhowdy54 said:

If the organization is truly serious about winning a super bowl then they need to sign Bryan Stork.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt the Pats (an organization serious about winning a super bowl) just cut him for the hell of it.  Besides I saw someone on Twitter report he's had serious problems with concussions and has been advised to retire, but he doesn't want to.

Patriots reason quoted as "dependability vs. ability"

1 hour ago, jhowdy54 said:

If the organization is truly serious about winning a super bowl then they need to sign Bryan Stork.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

They cut him because he is a loose canon, suffers from concussions issues and has severely fallen off talent wise. If this team is serious about winning a SB then they shouldn't sign a severely concussion prone center, who has fallen immensely in talent and is an issue for keeping his cool on the field. Don't need a repeat of the end of last year because someone cant keep their cool.

Archived