Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert jogging for first time since ankle surgery

Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert jogging for first time since ankle surgery

Cincinnati Bengals tight end Tyler Eifert jogged for the first time since injuring his ankle in the Pro Bowl in January.

It was the next step in a long rehab process that followed surgery at the beginning of the summer. Though it’s a big one for Eifert, he was cautiously optimistic on Monday.

"A little bit," he said when asked if he was relieved to move forward. "But you’ve got to make sure you feel good while you’re running. You never really know how it’s going to respond. I just do what I'm told and I trust those guys in there."

Eifert spent Monday’s practice off to the side with a group of players also rehabbing. He and cornerback Darqueze Dennard, who has a sprained ankle, put on gloves and boxed with an athletic trainer, moving their feet around in the process.

Eifert is still hoping to return for Week 1 against the Jets, although he said he realizes he still has a long way to go.

Eifert said there hasn’t been any setbacks with the rehab, and the main goal for him now is working through the daily stiffness and soreness that has accompanied the injury.

"It’s just working through that soreness and trying to push it without having a setback," he said. "You just have to trust the process and do what you can to get ready."

Eifert’s daily routine consists of balance work, resistance band training and then icing the ankle. He’s also been doing conditioning and strength training to keep in shape while unable to practice.

The frustrating part has been trying to be patient through what has been a long process.

"It’s frustrating, because there’s nothing you can do," he said. "You can work as hard as you possibly can and you can be here for 24 straight hours, but that’s not going to help move it along faster."

Eifert has been through this before with elbow and shoulder injuries that derailed his 2014 season, but the ankle has been a new exercise in frustration.

"I had my two surgeries two years ago and the hardest part for me (now) is that if there is soreness or pain, trying to figure out why it’s happening. If I have a bruise on my arm and I poke the bruise, I know it hurts because I had a bruise and I just poked it," he said. "When you have surgery and you don’t know what all is happening, obviously your foot or wherever you had surgery has a lot of trauma on it. For me, it’s just having the confidence that it’s just stiff or sore and you can work through it."

He added: "Whenever you had surgery, it’s not going to be the same, ever. You’re always going to have some of that stuff to work through. That’s just part of the job and part of the injury."

Eifert had 52 receptions for 615 yards and a team-leading 13 touchdowns last season.

Let's hold out shitting our pants for a few moments. The Cincinnati Enquirer just put out a report today that they thought Tyler could possibly be ready week 1. We have conflicting reports from two sources known to be inaccurate. 

4 minutes ago, jhowdy54 said:

Do u think the Bengals make a better effort to re-sign Marvin Jones had the known The Eifert situation was going to turn bad?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

No. The Bengals passed on MJ because his value in FA was more than the Bengals were willing to pay for a #2.

5 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

huh? They offered him the EXACT same deal as Detroit. He chose Detroit because he thinks he can be a #1. He has no chance of being a 1 here.

You are right. I think they could have convinced him to stay with the right $ offer. But they weren't willing to give a #2 that kind of cash. Or perhaps it didn't matter what they did, he was gone anyway due to AJ Green. Either way, the status of Eifert is irrelevant. IMO.

Just now, Lucid said:

You are right. I think they could have convinced him to stay with the right $ offer. But they weren't willing to give a #2 that kind of cash. Or perhaps it didn't matter what they did, he was gone anyway due to AJ Green. Either way, the status of Eifert is irrelevant. IMO.

I'm glad. He's overpaid af as is and paying him more than that would be definite insanity. He's not average but he's not that good either. He got a major benefit by having Dalton/AJ/Eifert making his life a lot easier. Marvin Jones and Sanu owe so much money to those 3 for what they got paid.

34 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

I'm glad. He's overpaid af as is and paying him more than that would be definite insanity. He's not average but he's not that good either. He got a major benefit by having Dalton/AJ/Eifert making his life a lot easier. Marvin Jones and Sanu owe so much money to those 3 for what they got paid.

so did no one watch this dude play football the last 3-4 years? he made some nasty ass catching on some shit throws for big first downs...

its frustrating how much people snug talented players just because we have a top 3 player ahead of them on the depth chart.

anyone who doesnt think jones is a #1 on many nfl teams, is insane and either didnt watch him player ever, or never watches any other teams play. 

he has great speed and can go over the top often and with success, he has great hands, great balance and control, no one remembers this dudes making catches sliding on his head, all the sideline toe taps for first downs, the cartwheels for first downs, the dives, etc...

people are sleeping on this guys talent, because AJ green is on the other side.

health is the ONLY concern with jones, the two healthiest years he was pulling 800 yards and 7 td's averaged as a #3.... 

this guy is a pro bowler if healthy and if stafford is healthy. 

Jones is very good with making contested catches and being a deep threat. He's not a #1 WR. He struggles with a lot of routes, gets beaten physically off of them a lot. There is a reason he ran certain stuff here. He's way better than Sanu but that isn't exactly tough. I don't think he will live up to his contract/hype at all in Detroit.

6 hours ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Jones is very good with making contested catches and being a deep threat. He's not a #1 WR. He struggles with a lot of routes, gets beaten physically off of them a lot. There is a reason he ran certain stuff here. He's way better than Sanu but that isn't exactly tough. I don't think he will live up to his contract/hype at all in Detroit.

You have to realize though, since Dalton is such garbage, the only way to explain the success of our offense is that we must have absolute monsters everywhere else. It's all about perspective I suppose.

I think Jones is a fine receiver. But I think I am more in line with your position. I think he might prove that he is a #1, but I think "pro bowler" is quite a reach. Of course we will all be able to see how he does in Detroit. I'm sure if he struggles it will be because Stafford is more garbage than Dalton.

Archived