Incredibly Shrinking Amish

Peeps:

I have lost a ton of weight and am no longer able to wear ANY of the Bengal gear I have collected over the past decade.  The bandwagon fans here in Southern Indiana really only want to wear gear they can find at Goodwill (mostly Yankee and Steeler jerseys), or stuff affiliated with the new team that moved here in 1984.... they've forgotten that their original "home" team was founded by Paul Brown in the late 60's.

Their loss is your gain.  Hell, *my* loss is your gain.

I'll be posting descriptions/photos of all the stuff I've got and will be willing to toss them into the car trunk as I head to games at PBS this fall.  All you have to do is (1) be willing to meet me wherever I end up crashing - usually in West Chester, Covington, or near the airport; (2) not be greedy and take everything; and (3) wear what you take at least once.

We're talking jerseys.  We're talking winter outer wear.  We're talking t-shirts.  We're talking office-style polo shirts.  It's absolutely NOT that they're unwanted, it's that I cannot wear them and would prefer that they adorn the back of a Bengal fan that will love them as I did.  A few items are 2XL, but most of the things are 3XL.

I'll begin posting photos here this week.

I will be at this Thursday's preseason game, so if I post something you have to have I can meet either in the Covington City Lot at 5th & Bakewell immediately before or after the game, or you can meet me Friday morning at the West Chester Marriott near Ikea.  I will be attending all of this years' home games except the Thursday Night Dolphin game in September, so if you see something but miss me this week we will have other opportunities.

19 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Congratulations.   Does this mean we can't go to the British pub anymore  ?

Oh we can, I just have to eat smaller portions - like a bowl of chili - and avoid beer.

Tim the Beerman already knows about that last part - he's stocking up Aquafina for me this year.

Before:  (12/25/15)   400 lbs

Before_Dec2015.jpg

This Summer  (6/12/16)   285 lbs

After_June2016.jpg

The "After" was me down 115 lbs.  I'm down 140 lbs now but haven't snapped a new photo since then.

I'm doing a couple of 5Ks in September/October, I've been nominated to be a Torchbearer in the upcoming Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay, and my sex life is vastly improved.  I just flew to DC for a business trip and I fit in the coach seat without a belt extender... with both arm rests fully down... and with the tray table flat. 

8 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Before_Dec2015.jpg

After_June2016.jpg

The "After" was me down 115 lbs.  I'm down 140 lbs now but haven't snapped a new photo since then.

I'm doing a couple of 5Ks in September/October, I've been nominated to be a Torchbearer in the upcoming Indiana Bicentennial Torch Relay, and my sex life is vastly improved.  I just flew to DC for a business trip and I fit in the coach seat without a belt extender... with both arm rests fully down... and with the tray table flat. 

Holy shit man that's impressive!!

That's life changing shit right there.. Amazing. And very generous and awesome of you to offer up your gear like that.. A double tip of the cap to you sir!

1 hour ago, BengalBacker said:

Congratulations! How did you lose the weight?

Diet? Exercise? GI Bypass? Combination?

All of the above.

After 5 years of trying (and failing) to lose weight myself, and after a year of (failed) doctor-supervised diet/exercise plans, I spent the Summer/Fall of 2015 working with my doctor, my surgeon, my psychologist, my dietician, and my insurance company to go through all of the certification steps to allow me to go forward with bariatric surgery.  I had that surgery on 12/30/15, having undergone a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

Essentially, the surgeon removed 70-80% of my stomach, leaving the parts where the input and output tubes connect intact.  My stomach is dramatically smaller, my capacity is now about the size of a banana.  I can eat about a half cup of food at a time before I hit the FULL mark.  I'm only getting about 1000-1200 calories a day, to which I add a handful of vitamins and iron and calcium.  My surgeon and dietician are monitoring everything and it's been terrific.  The only foods I have to avoid are pasta/rice/noodles (because they absorb water and expand, posing a rupture risk), carbonated beverages (bubbles, rupture risk), and alcohol (empty calories, super high absorptive rate, can get drunk incredibly easily now).  The reduced calories and concentration on protein-rich foods is causing me to lose 1-2 lbs a week.  My target weight - where I hope to be when I'm 24 months post-op - is 225.  Right now, I am on track to hit that by Super Bowl Sunday, which will be 14 months post-op.  Apparently I'm a freaking poster child for this type of surgery. 

Health-wise, it's been a godsend.  My high blood pressure is gone - I was down to pegging 120/80 within a few weeks of going home.  My sleep apnea is going away - I have a sleep study in a couple of weeks.  I'm walking/running.  I'm taking music lessons (guitar and violin), I'm playing and singing at a local pub here once monthly, and just finished a Summer-long dance class.  And I've re-connected with the ladies without having to lure them in with promises of Fried Chicken. I'm not not getting laid any more.  :)

It came down to this.....  I was a very large dude, but when I looked around at all the very OLD dudes I didn't see any of them weighing as much as I did.  Unless I found a way to lose the weight I would be dead within a decade.  So I decided I was tired of being fat, and when I found that I couldn't fix it without help, I got help.

When I did that, I honestly believe that I stopped dying and started living.

ANYWAY.....  I've got this closet full of shirts and jerseys and winter coats.  Photos tonight.

5 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Before_Dec2015.jpg

After_June2016.jpg

This amazing, and inspirational.   Congrats!  My wife and I literally started dieting this week.   Hopefully I can replicate your results!

Archived