Who is going to Dallas?

Amish and I are heading to Big D for the Bengals/Cowboys game in October. We will be part of a group package formulated by the same group who have gone to out-of-state roadies in past years. I was last with this group in 2010 for the game against the Panthers in Charlotte. Whodey24k (or ickeyshuffler) and khwiii attended that one too. 

Anyone here going to be attending along with this group? I have a listing of real names, but naturally, being able to match up with a board handle would make this a lot easier. 

Numbers: this is Lenny's group, as you know. I didn't see your name on the list.  

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Amish and I are heading to Big D for the Bengals/Cowboys game in October. We will be part of a group package formulated by the same group who have gone to out-of-state roadies in past years. I was last with this group in 2010 for the game against the Panthers in Charlotte. Whodey24k (or ickeyshuffler) and khwiii attended that one too. 

Anyone here going to be attending along with this group? I have a listing of real names, but naturally, being able to match up with a board handle would make this a lot easier. 

Numbers: this is Lenny's group, as you know. I didn't see your name on the list.  

Can you pm me details.   Lenny is a great host. 

5 hours ago, Numbers said:

Can you pm me details.   Lenny is a great host. 

As far as jumping in on this group thing It may be too late, as the airline/game tickets have been bought and the hotel reservations are set.  But if LT hasn't responded yet I'll send you the info I have - itinerary, lodging, etc.  I'll also send you Lenny's phone # in case you want to see if he has any flexibility to add anyone.  I doubt that he does, but the call and the ask are free.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:34 PM, ChicagoBengal said:

Not part of a / the group, but I may drive up depending on a couple of things that are up in the air right now.

The hotel we're allegedly staying at is:

Hampton Inn Dallas North on I-35 at Walnut Hill
11069 Composite Drive, Dallas TX 75229

This is unconfirmed but believed to be accurate.  Lenny said, "we're staying at 'The I-35 Hampton Inn' ".   Presuming we're not staying at a hotel along I-35W in Ft Worth and that we're staying in one along I-35E in Dallas, there are only three Hampton Inns this could be.  The Walnut Hill property is immediately adjacent to Love Field (where the tour flight is landing), and it's the only one with "I-35" in it's name.

If you do come up, I'll bring the sideline jacket and even let you wear it some.  :)

On September 1, 2016 at 0:32 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

The hotel we're allegedly staying at is:

Hampton Inn Dallas North on I-35 at Walnut Hill
11069 Composite Drive, Dallas TX 75229

This is unconfirmed but believed to be accurate.  Lenny said, "we're staying at 'The I-35 Hampton Inn' ".   Presuming we're not staying at a hotel along I-35W in Ft Worth and that we're staying in one along I-35E in Dallas, there are only three Hampton Inns this could be.  The Walnut Hill property is immediately adjacent to Love Field (where the tour flight is landing), and it's the only one with "I-35" in it's name.

If you do come up, I'll bring the sideline jacket and even let you wear it some.  :)

Cool that you're coming down. Not sure if I'll be able to make it to the game, but I had a chance to attend my first game at "Jerry World" last night (Bama-USC) and it's a pretty spectacular venue. The HD big screen is humongous, and its resolution is amazingly clear. We found ourselves watching the game on TV more than on the field, and I've heard that a lot from others who attend games there. It's a great experience.

If your hotel location is accurate, I have to say that while I've had very good experiences at Hampton Inns, that area is a bit sketchy... As is the Love Field area, so just be mindful. I've been here in Dallas for 25+ years, and that area used to be where "restaurant row" was. It's changed now... there are some used car lots and a few strip clubs (I haven't been in many years, but they were pretty classy for that genre) that have replaced some of the restaurants that were once there. 

I believe there is still a good-sized Dave and Buster's nearby (corporate HQ is in Dallas), and some good restaurants pretty close by. You are close to NW Highway, where there are a number of restaurants, including some Pappas restaurants which are all good - Pappadeaux for seafood, Pappas Bros. Steakhouse - which is pricey but very good - Pappasito's for Mexican, and Pappas BBQ, which is really good as well.

You'll have a great time - like I said, the venue is really cool, and there's a lot to do in the area. I just wouldn't venture out around your hotel late at night, unless you know where you're going. 

It may not be that particular Hampton...there is one near 183 and 35E. It's closer to I30, which makes more sense than the other one, as I30 takes you straight to Arlington. Who knows? 

The tour includes a trip through JerryWorld on that Saturday. Really looking forward to that. Relatives of mine down there have taken it and said it was really cool. 

I am thinking of checking out Deep Elum for BBQ and the Stockyards in Fort Worth for steak. And, if time permits and I am so inspired, a round at Las Colinas or Cowboys Club to chase the small white ball.

24 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

It may not be that particular Hampton...there is one near 183 and 35E. It's closer to I30, which makes more sense than the other one, as I30 takes you straight to Arlington. Who knows? 

The tour includes a trip through JerryWorld on that Saturday. Really looking forward to that. Relatives of mine down there have taken it and said it was really cool. 

I am thinking of checking out Deep Elum for BBQ and the Stockyards in Fort Worth for steak. And, if time permits and I am so inspired, a round at Las Colinas or Cowboys Club to chase the small white ball.

The Jerry World tour is well worth it. You get to see the locker rooms, suites, etc., walk on the field, see some art work, etc.. Jerry Jones may not be a great GM, but he knows how to market his product and make money, as you will see. 

Deep Ellum is pretty cool... Pecan Lodge BBQ is there, and it's the best around. You'll wait in line for sure, though. The Stockyards in Ft Worth are touristy but still fun, and there's a very old steakhouse there called Cattlemen's which is old-timey but food is solid. Sundance Square in downtown FW is really nice... their downtown is much nicer than Dallas'. I'm not a golfer, but TPC Las Colinas is a nice course - $$$. Same with Cowboys. 

Re hotel - you're right, the location someone mentioned in an earlier post is a pretty good distance from Arlington. I'm sure there are Hampton Inns closer to the venue. 

I went to Pecan Lodge the last time I was down there in April. Loved the place. I keep seeing on line they "moved" but the photo in the website is the same storefront I was at? 

There was a seriously good steak place just at the north edge of downtown as you were heading towards Highland Park. Had a 22 oz porterhouse that went off the plate. They served game-type stuff too like duck, etc. Can't recall the name of the place, but I will research.

Dallas is a GREAT place to eat and drink!

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I went to Pecan Lodge the last time I was down there in April. Loved the place. I keep seeing on line they "moved" but the photo in the website is the same storefront I was at? 

There was a seriously good steak place just at the north edge of downtown as you were heading towards Highland Park. Had a 22 oz porterhouse that went off the plate. They served game-type stuff too like duck, etc. Can't recall the name of the place, but I will research.

Dallas is a GREAT place to eat and drink!

Pecan Lodge used to be in the Farmer's Market before they got their own storefront in Deep Ellum a few years ago. They haven't moved from there, 

The steak place you mentioned might be Al Biernat's. Really good. Haven't been in awhile. Another steak place on the edge of downtown is Nick and Sam's. That's good, too. Cool vibe. Bob's Steak and Chop House is nice, too. They are all in the same general area, a few miles apart. Jerry Jones holds court at Bob's a fair amount, I've heard. Troy Aikman used to eat at Biernat's - some friends saw him there back in the Boys' heyday and supposedly he frequented there. 

Lots of high-end steak places in Dallas.  Dallas isn't much to look at as a pretty city (women, yes but not landscape) but it's great for shopping and restaurants. 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 7:14 PM, texbengal said:

Re hotel - you're right, the location someone mentioned in an earlier post is a pretty good distance from Arlington. I'm sure there are Hampton Inns closer to the venue. 

But this is Lenny we're talking about.  As long as the hotel is generally along a line from the airport (and vicinity) and the stadium (and vicinity), then whichever one gave him the best deal on the package rate is the one we're staying at.  He picked a great hotel in Charlotte, a mediocre on in Denver, and a lousy one in New Orleans.  Of the two "flying" trips I've been on with him (Denver + New Orleans), the hotel location was near the stadium, near the airport, or on a direct line between them.

All I know for certain is that the hotel is "the I-35 Hampton Inn".  That's a direct quote.  Everything else.... yours, mine.... is speculation.  :)

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 9:53 PM, Le Tigre said:

Found it, Tex: Y.O. Ranch Steakhouse.

http://www.yoranchsteakhouse.com 

Thanks for the other recs...like the looks of Nick and Sam's. 

I just hope you pick someplace non-expensive.  I hardly eat food any more, so I'd rather have 3/4ths of a $20 steak go to waste than 3/4ths of a $50 steak go to waste.

3 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

I just hope you pick someplace non-expensive.  I hardly eat food any more, so I'd rather have 3/4ths of a $20 steak go to waste than 3/4ths of a $50 steak go to waste.

Nick and Sam's is pricey, as are most all of the steak places I mentioned. If you're looking to spend less, there are lots of great choices for Mexican, BBQ, hamburgers and other stuff. 

3 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

But this is Lenny we're talking about.  As long as the hotel is generally along a line from the airport (and vicinity) and the stadium (and vicinity), then whichever one gave him the best deal on the package rate is the one we're staying at.  He picked a great hotel in Charlotte, a mediocre on in Denver, and a lousy one in New Orleans.  Of the two "flying" trips I've been on with him (Denver + New Orleans), the hotel location was near the stadium, near the airport, or on a direct line between them.

All I know for certain is that the hotel is "the I-35 Hampton Inn".  That's a direct quote.  Everything else.... yours, mine.... is speculation.  :)

Just for the hell of it, I googled Hampton Inn I-35 in Dallas - and the one that came up was the one I initially thought, at I-35 and Walnut Hill in Dallas. I'm sure the hotel is fine, just like I said the neighborhood isn't the best. Not terrible, just not great. There is a Malibu Speedzone and bungee jumping place down the street, so there's that. And hey, there's nothing better than a bungee jump after a nice steak dinner!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip, regardless of where you're staying. 

21 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

We can go as inexpensive or as expensive as you would please. Y.O. may be the latter. But Pecan Lodge is not. And as Tex said, there are "lots and lots" of places around. 

18 hours ago, texbengal said:

Just for the hell of it, I googled Hampton Inn I-35 in Dallas - and the one that came up was the one I initially thought, at I-35 and Walnut Hill in Dallas. I'm sure the hotel is fine, just like I said the neighborhood isn't the best. Not terrible, just not great. There is a Malibu Speedzone and bungee jumping place down the street, so there's that. And hey, there's nothing better than a bungee jump after a nice steak dinner!

I'm sure you'll have a great trip, regardless of where you're staying. 

Here was the place that made the most sense in my simple head:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-and-suites-dallas-market-center-DALPPHX/index.html

It sits about as close to I35 as one could get--without being labeled as I35. It is also closer to Love Field, and is on a closer/more direct path to Arlington. I will be happy to just have a clean bed and coffee in the morning, so wherever it is, I am good.  

20 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Here was the place that made the most sense in my simple head:

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/texas/hampton-inn-and-suites-dallas-market-center-DALPPHX/index.html

It sits about as close to I35 as one could get--without being labeled as I35. It is also closer to Love Field, and is on a closer/more direct path to Arlington. I will be happy to just have a clean bed and coffee in the morning, so wherever it is, I am good.  

That would make more sense as far as location goes. It's also close to Sonny Bryan's BBQ which is one of the iconic, old-timey BBQ places in Dallas. It's not the best, but it's pretty damned good. That original location is kinda fun to visit. It's small and cramped, and old, with some old school desks for seating. I haven't been in awhile but I read that it's now open 24-7.

And one of my favorite burger places is nearby - Maple and Motor. Again, a smallish place that is a bit of a dive, but great food and a pretty good jukebox, too. Guy Fieri of Food Network visited there for his Diners, Drive-ins and Dives show. You'll need lots of napkins.

Archived