Anyone Work in the Restaurant Industry?

Enon Bengal

My daughter works at a tiny restaurant here in Enon. She does a little bit of everything there, depending on whatever is needed on that particular night. She came home tonight and said that when the till comes up short, the hostesses have to make it balance out of their own pockets. She had to give back $4 the other night. She doesn't seem to be too upset about it but me and her mom are.

Is this a fairly standard industry practice? It seems illegal to me. I'm a business guy, the till being over or short is just another cost of doing business, to a degree.

Thanks

ugh, i havent worked in food service since i was a teenager but it was always large companies so nothing like this ever came up. 

its certainly not cool at all, but its one of those things that you can either deal with it or quit and work elsewhere, tips can be split any way the restaurant deems necessary depending on the state, like they can require 10% goes to the house to cover the cost of pens and aprons or whatever they want.. so it would be a pointless battle as far as legality goes, IMO.

just tell her to steal $40 from the register, she will only ahve to make up 10-20 of it, and shell make back the rest of her money.......j/k

i would say its her call, doent seem to bother her, and a good "ways jobs screw you over" life lesson. she can use in the future.

12 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

My daughter works at a tiny restaurant here in Enon. She does a little bit of everything there, depending on whatever is needed on that particular night. She came home tonight and said that when the till comes up short, the hostesses have to make it balance out of their own pockets. She had to give back $4 the other night. She doesn't seem to be too upset about it but me and her mom are.

Is this a fairly standard industry practice? It seems illegal to me. I'm a business guy, the till being over or short is just another cost of doing business, to a degree.

Thanks

It's very common especially among small restaurants. I would imagine at this place, the waitresses are the ones who cash out tables so it is the waitresses who are responsible for the till being balanced. When I worked at a cyber cafe, and ran the register, if it was short it came out of my paycheck. It's just how that shit works. If you put cash in/take it out you are responsible for it being balanced. It's a bummer when you have multiple people doing it because you end up paying for other people's mistakes, but there is nothing illegal about it.

I used to work with a oxyhead behind the bar at a shitty chain restaurant that plagues America. He was a good dude and I got along with him for awhile until our drawer was coming up 30-50 dollars short every night when I was closing and he was already gone. We usually had to split it between our tip-outs. We ended up coming up with 1.5 bottles of Grey Goose missing (No one orders that shit for $12 dollars a double) and he ended up getting let go the day after I got my big-boy job.

God damn. I hated customer service. 

Archived