Down the Jets

What should our main focus be this game? If our DBs are disciplined I don't see Fitz getting away with too much. Ced really needs to hold down that right side. 

Boyd could be huge if he steps up. AJ can probably put up some numbers but Revis will have help over the top. If they watch film they saw how dangerous Andy is when AJ gets one on one.

Good week 1 test

54 minutes ago, Jason said:

Run the ball effectively.  

Take advantage of any time Revis is not on Green.

Yeah, pretty much this for me. Really need a lot of production from Hill and Gio, will make Dalton's life a lot easier.

Also need to get after Fitzpatrick, after their standoff offseason he could feel the pressure if he starts slow. I think Dunlap has a shot of getting a few QB hits in on their shaky RT situation.

The biggest concern outside of our LBs tackling Forte on passes is who is going to cover Decker in the slot. He dominates in the slot and we don't have Leon anymore and it isn't known if Dennard will play or not. That is the one area that the Jets would have a decent advantage matchup wise.

I also expect the Jets blitzes to be often and strong. That means Boyd/Gio need to be ready for some quick passes/dump offs and create something after it.

On offense the oline is going to have to get physical against the Jets front 7, get Hill going early between the tackles and make the safeties come into the box which will allow for better matchups in the passing game. With Eifert out we don't have one our best offensive weapons so the running game is going to have to pick up the slack. 

I liked what I saw from the oline and Hill this preseason, they were opening up holes and he was hitting them with power and decisiveness. If Hill can establish a presence early we will control the tempo and hopefully win the game. The Jets OLB are big question marks, getting Hill to edges so he can go up against a 31 year Revis and undersized Buster Skrine is ideal. Cedric is going to have his hands full, hopefully he is up for the challenge.

On defense the key has to be to put pressure on Fitz, the Jets oline is shaky at RT and Dunlap should have a good day. Also tackling well will be key, especially without Burfict in the lineup. Forte is great at catching the ball in the flat, making guys miss and getting YAC. Brandon Marshall is a dominant WR that can also be a problem to bring down. I want to see how well Shawn Williams does in his first season as a full time starter. 

Emotions will be high in Jersey on the 15th anniversary of 9/11, the crowd will be loud and ready to go from the opening start. If the Bengals can score early and keep the crowd quiet that should help, it should be a close game.

Bengals 24 Jets 21 

The key to this game is going to be turnovers.  I think both teams are about even from a talent perspective.  We also need to keep the pressure out of Andy's face and make sure the RBs first move isn't always in the backfield as it was too much last year.  

On 9/7/2016 at 9:49 AM, WRAPradio said:

The key to this game is going to be turnovers.  I think both teams are about even from a talent perspective.  We also need to keep the pressure out of Andy's face and make sure the RBs first move isn't always in the backfield as it was too much last year.  

I don't think the talent is close but I can see the Bengals playing down to the Jets instead of taking care of business. Especially with the Jets hyped for 9/11 at home on a big anniversary.

Am I the only one not buying the 9/11 anniversary hype and how that could really cause problems for us in the game?

It was an unspeakable tragedy to be sure, but I just don't see it having such a profound effect on Jets' fans coming to game. I don't think it's gonna make this road game any tougher than it already shapes up to be.

I just think it's more lame, hyperbolic narrative from a shitty, shitty institution of sports journalists. 

On September 7, 2016 at 9:33 AM, TimKrumrieFan said:

The biggest concern outside of our LBs tackling Forte on passes is who is going to cover Decker in the slot. He dominates in the slot and we don't have Leon anymore and it isn't known if Dennard will play or not. That is the one area that the Jets would have a decent advantage matchup wise.

I also expect the Jets blitzes to be often and strong. That means Boyd/Gio need to be ready for some quick passes/dump offs and create something after it.

This is a good point. The health of Dennard is a major factor. Would be huge if he can come back and play at a high level in the slot. If Dennard is out, we really need Shaw to step up.

3 hours ago, thezerawkid said:

Am I the only one not buying the 9/11 anniversary hype and how that could really cause problems for us in the game?

It was an unspeakable tragedy to be sure, but I just don't see it having such a profound effect on Jets' fans coming to game. I don't think it's gonna make this road game any tougher than it already shapes up to be.

I just think it's more lame, hyperbolic narrative from a shitty, shitty institution of sports journalists. 

It is, but the NFL thrives on that kind of shit.  Jets win and everyone gets to feel all warm and fuzzy about it. 

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

It is, but the NFL thrives on that kind of shit.  Jets win and everyone gets to feel all warm and fuzzy about it. 

Pretty much.  I didn't even think about 9/11 and New York (or otherwise, to be honest in relation to football) until I read it here.  Kind of a non-issue that was made into one to... to... to... well, I'm not even sure why.

Screw it.  Let's play some football!

40 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

If the Bengals stop Forte from being a threat on dump offs they win the game. Also lots of Hill & Gio. Pound the rock and make it boring. 

Bengals 27

Jets 16

Completely agree on Forte. I worry we will struggle running against the Jets and keep it a stupid close, low scoring game that 1 major screw up could cost us.

1 hour ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

Emotions matter and how players use those emotions positive or negatively matter. Plus I would never put it out of this multi billion dollar company to want the Jets to win on a major day/spectacle/event and see the tides shifted just a little bit to where we are playing an uphill battle.

The league showed off the power that it has, once again, in our playoff game. They will get the result they want at any cost. In our playoff game, they just ran the Super Bowl XL drill. 

58 minutes ago, Hooky said:

The league showed off the power that it has, once again, in our playoff game. They will get the result they want at any cost. In our playoff game, they just ran the Super Bowl XL drill. 

243 days, 12 hours later, I'm still thoroughly disgusted with the NFL...  

27 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

You can probably put another 2000 days on that count and still feel the same.

I hate the NFL but I love the Bengals and the sport.

This is where I am. I am currently boycotting the NFL. No tickets. no merchandise and I watch the games over broadcast or pirate stream. I know it's a drop in the ocean, but it makes me feel better about it. I do love football and my Bengals.

For me, the biggest question is who's going to step up at WR besides Green? If the Jets are allowed to stack 8 in the box, we're going to have a rough day. The pass needs to set up the ground pound. If I'm the Jets, I'm daring LaFell or Boyd to come out and make me cover them. Bracket Green, and then bring the other safety into the box.

Jets pass rush vs Bengals O-Line - Andy Dalton plays best when he's kept clean as do most QB's. Oogie-Boogie needs to validate his draft position, and Bodine needs to have a decent game.

On defense, we need to keep Fitz in the pocket. He will run with the ball. 

It's time to see if those cover LB's we got can actually cover.

Just now, LostInDaJungle said:

For me, the biggest question is who's going to step up at WR besides Green? If the Jets are allowed to stack 8 in the box, we're going to have a rough day. The pass needs to set up the ground pound. If I'm the Jets, I'm daring LaFell or Boyd to come out and make me cover them. Bracket Green, and then bring the other safety into the box.

Jets pass rush vs Bengals O-Line - Andy Dalton plays best when he's kept clean as do most QB's. Oogie-Boogie needs to validate his draft position, and Bodine needs to have a decent game.

On defense, we need to keep Fitz in the pocket. He will run with the ball. 

It's time to see if those cover LB's we got can actually cover.

I thought Andy did a great job under pressure last year. It was probably his biggest improvement overall IMO. When the play or protection broke down he seemed far more comfortable buying time and keeping his eyes down field to make the play. He also moved better within the pocket to help his blockers and didn't needlessly abandon it as often as he used to. Although I never thought he was bad at handling pressure. It's the Achilis heel of most young QB's.

36 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

You can probably put another 2000 days on that count and still feel the same.

I hate the NFL but I love the Bengals and the sport.

I bet seahawk fans can attest to that. Even after finally winning a Super Bowl. 

Archived