Boomer Esiason still “disgusted” by Bengals’ Wild Card actions; Solomon Wilcots fires back

Boomer Esiason still “disgusted” by Bengals’ Wild Card actions; Solomon Wilcots fires back

After the Bengals’ Wild Card loss to the Stealers, the first voice we heard back in the CBS studio was that of an embarassed Boomer Esiason. The former Bengals quarterback elaborates on that, nine months later, while his colleague and fellow former Bengal, Solomon Wilcots, shares his take.

By Rebecca Toback @Rebecca_Toback Sep 6, 2016, 11:00a
Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

"I'm embarassed by the way this game ended and by the way these guys acted on the field today. I feel bad for Marvin Lewis, and I'll tell you one thing, if Marvin Lewis can't keep control of his players, then maybe Marvin Lewis shouldn't be standing there on the sideline coaching that drek.”

Those words were what fans heard as the CBS post-game show opened up following the Bengals’ loss to the Stealers in January’s Wild Card playoff game. And who said it, who called the Bengals drek, in other words, trash? None other than former Bengals quarterback and current CBS color commentator, Boomer Esiason.

It was a tough pill for Bengals fans to swallow as they heard a former player say he was embarassed by the team for whom he played for 10 years and the team he led to one of their only two Super Bowls. This, all just moments after watching a heartbreaking playoff loss.

I met with Esiason during CBS’ NFL preview day last week and his feelings on the topic haven’t changed.

“At that moment, I was disgusted. The Bengals were the better team but they didn’t keep their poise. You need to play with you head above it and it was frustrating to see that,” Esiason said. “If they do that again, I will say the same things again.”

And while Esiason is entitled to his opinion, his CBS colleague, Solomon Wilcots, who also played for the Bengals, strongly disagrees with those feeling of embarrassment.

“Were you embarrassed for the Pittsburgh Stealers when James Harrison was knocking players out all around this league? Were you embarrassed for the Stealers when Hines Ward was breaking the jaw of a Bengals linebacker? Were you embarrassed for the Stealers when they broke punter Kevin Huber’s jaw and cracked his vertebrae? In fact, did Pittsburgh fans say ‘get rid of James Harrison, he’s a menace to our team’? No, they applauded it, they supported him,” Wilcots told me regarding his colleague’s embarrassment. And he wasn’t done.

“Did the people in Baltimore say get rid of Ray Lewis and Ed Reed for the physical way that they dominated for over a decade? Was anyone embarrassed for the Ravens when they were doing it? No, but somehow in those towns they know how football games are won and they know how football should be played on defense. And, more importantly, they always support them,” Wilcots continued.

Following the Bengals’ loss to the Stealers, many fans wanted to see the Bengals cut ties with Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict, two of the best players on defense for the team, but also, two of the reasons why Esiason was embarassed and why the Bengals self-imploded during the final minutes of the Wild Card game. Of course, the Bengals don’t listen to disgruntled fans and re-signed Jones to a three-year deal this offseason. Meanwhile, they have fully supported Burfict this offseason and Marvin Lewis went as far as to go with Burfict to meet Roger Goodell, in response to Burfict’s suspension.

“We definitely don’t know how to support our guys, because Adam Jones and Vontaze Burfict are among the Bengals’ best defensive players,” Wilcots said.

“Last I checked, I want that type of defensive player on my team. That’s a Chuck Bednarik type player, that’s a Lawrence Taylor type player. Unapologetic, sheer physical and a player who the other team is intimidated by. If you’re embarassed by that, you really don’t understand how football games are won,” Wilcots added. “Sometimes it ain't going to be pretty, sometimes someone is going to get hurt. No one tried to run off Dick Butkus, Bednarik, the 1985 Chicago Bears. I’m not calling for physical violence in NFL games, I’m just saying that football games are very tough and physical.”

No one wants to see players getting injured in the midst of an NFL game, but, as we see every week of the season, NFL players get hurt on all types of plays, and even by stepping awkwardly, or falling without being touched. Non-contact injuries are some of the worst injuries in the NFL.

Injuries will happen, they’re a part of the game of football, but the NFL is going to attempt to clean up the game and Burfict’s unprecedented three-game suspension is evidence of that. For his actions in the Wild Card game, coupled with other rule violations, Burfict will sit out for the first three games this season, a suspension already underway as he’s banned from the team facilities.

Hopefully, that suspension will help Burfict to keep his play clean, while still physical. After all, in Wilcots’ opinion, all 31 other teams in the NFL would want Burfict on their team, whether they admit it today or not.

“The thing I loved about playing in Pittsburgh is that they know what football looks like, they know what defensive football looks like, and they’re unapologetic” said Wilcots, who played for the Stealers in 1992, the final year of his NFL playing career. “When these two teams play this year, I want it to be clean, but it’s going to be physical.”

12 hours ago, bigboi said:

“Were you embarrassed for the Pittsburgh Stealers when James Harrison was knocking players out all around this league? Were you embarrassed for the Stealers when Hines Ward was breaking the jaw of a Bengals linebacker? Were you embarrassed for the Stealers when they broke punter Kevin Huber’s jaw and cracked his vertebrae? In fact, did Pittsburgh fans say ‘get rid of James Harrison, he’s a menace to our team’? No, they applauded it, they supported him,” 

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

“Last I checked, I want that type of defensive player on my team. That’s a Chuck Bednarik type player, that’s a Lawrence Taylor type player. Unapologetic, sheer physical and a player who the other team is intimidated by. If you’re embarassed by that, you really don’t understand how football games are won,” Wilcots added. “Sometimes it ain't going to be pretty, sometimes someone is going to get hurt. No one tried to run off Dick Butkus.”

:2rave: :2rave: :2rave:

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

If it were 1975, I would totally agree with Wilcots but it's not.   Burfict is out the first 3 games so his style of play right now is watching.

Yep. the league has changed.  What once was a celebrated highlight is now a 15 yard penalty.

And whether you like how he put it or not, the fact that Boomer has strong feelings about that loss to me says he is still a Bengals fan.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Yep. the league has changed.  What once was a celebrated highlight is now a 15 yard penalty.

And whether you like how he put it or not, the fact that Boomer has strong feelings about that loss to me says he is still a Bengals fan.

So all of the other football talking heads that bash the Bengals' behavior in that game are Bengals fans?

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Meh.... Boomer has had an axe to grind with the Bengals since he got sent to the Jets. (Not that I blame him) Does anyone remember him saying anything positive about the Bengals in recent years?

6 hours ago, Hooky said:

So all of the other football talking heads that bash the Bengals' behavior in that game are Bengals fans?

There is a difference between commenting on and having feelings about.  Just because he's not a homer as a broadcaster doesn't mean he isn't still a fan. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

There is a difference between commenting on and having feelings about.  Just because he's not a homer as a broadcaster doesn't mean he isn't still a fan. 

I think a "fan" would have AT LEAST been able to objectively look back and find fault with the entirety of the dispositions in the game. Cincinnati was at fault, to be sure, but they weren't the only team doing shady, shitty stuff in that game. 

A "fan" would have acknowledged his team's trangressions while also keeping in mind some of them were reactions to other things occurring that weren't being paid attention to by the referees. 

On 9/8/2016 at 6:56 AM, Jason said:

BS.  They didn't even call a flag on the intentional helmet-to-helmet on Gio and he was out cold on the fuckin' field. There are clearly two sets of rules.  Boomer is just a sanctimonious twat toeing the NFL line.

Archived