Anyone worried about Defensive End depth?

18 minutes ago, Steve4192 said:

I watched Marco Battaglia in college and thought he was the best receiving TE I have ever seen in collegiate ball.  Turns out, being a stud in college doesn't mean a whole lot at the pro level.

Oh and watch the Battaglia bashing. He's a super bowl champ!!! And Howard Stern's former trainer and friend lol

24 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Really? I'd say the only positions on offense with any depth are RB & QB.  Our 2nd-string WR's have 5 NFL receptions between all of them (all 5 Wright), rookie RT, hell even our starting interior OL is suspect let alone the backups.  Starting TE is out for who knows how long.  Defensively our secondary is already banged-up, new starter at SS, V. Rey starting at WLB though at least we know that's temporary. No healthy true NT behind Peko.  Only reason DE concerns me at all is because Hunt is somehow still on the roster. 

The WRs are inexperienced, NOT lacking talent. Having only 5 receptions doesn't mean shit to me. Boyd, Wright and Core all are talented individuals and are the backups. They have skillsets that exist in players who can hang in the NFL. Core is going to surprise the shit out of people and I fully expect him to develop similar to the path that Marvin Jones did. He was hidden by being opposite a guy who got all the hype in Treadwell but he is loaded with talent and just raw. 

The entire point was that Clarke and Hunt are not good. Hunt is absolute trash. Clarke can only add anything via a little run defense. Neither has a pass rushing ability at all. The DEs provide NOTHING for this team and if a starter goes down they aren't going to magically gain skills that they don't have. I never once watched Hunt or Clarke and thought man do they have a future here. Hunt was older when he was drafted and was supposedly strong but couldn't out muscle anyone but 4th quarter preseason players from day 1. Clarke is just too slow and lacking any ability to bend on the edge.

At DT we are thin at the moment but Sims is a solid veteran. Deshawn Williams has impressed me every time I've seen him and stayed instead of joining the Saints last year because of his promised role here. Thompson will be back around week 6 and he's no slouch. Losing Hardison sucked.

Secondary doesn't concern me at all unless we lose Jones or Dre. They are deep in the secondary but it is hard to lose one of those two. Absolutely love our safeties and should have way less communication issues this year too.

Kroft is very talented but for some reason a lot of people on this board view him as a slow unathletic white guy who just blocks. He was a 3rd round pick that had a lot of interest for a reason. He showed well last year too in his limited play. No one called Kroft a game breaker in this thread anywhere. There are like 4 gamebreaking TEs in the NFL. I didn't say Kroft could start for any team in the entire NFL or Kroft could wreck this league as a TE. He's probably the 2nd/3rd best backup TE in the NFL behind Martellus Bennett and Austin Sefarian Jenkins if he could keep his head on straight and not be a moron. There are many teams in the NFL that have bad TEs and Kroft would upgrade that position for them.

Archived