Sam Wyche awaiting heart transplant

Please move if in wrong forum.  Thanks

Former Bengals coach, Sam Wyche, awaiting a heart transplant

Thursday, September 8th 2016, 6:12 pm EDTThursday, September 8th 2016, 6:14 pm EDT
Posted by Steve Beynon, Digital Content Producer
CONNECT

•  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

Wyche was one of the most successful coaches in Bengals history.Wyche was one of the most successful coaches in Bengals history.
FOX19 -

Former Cincinnati Bengals coach, Sam Wyche, is waiting for a heart transplant at a hospital in Charlotte.

“I am in Carolinas Medical Center’s Dickson Heart Unit in Charlotte, NC awaiting donor heart transplant," Wyche said on his website. “If there is no match for a donor heart in the next few days, I will need to have an LVAD (Left Ventricular Assist Device which is an artificial heart pump) implanted below my heart until a donor heart can be obtained. I have outstanding Sanger Clinic physicians and hospital staff taking care of me.”

Wyche served as the head coach for the Bengals from 1984 to 1991. He led the team to Super Bowl XXIII in 1989.

33 minutes ago, Jason said:

Per Peter King Twitter:

Big news: A heart has been found for Sam Wyche, awaiting a transplant. Final match prep now underway. If a match, surgery could be tonight.

Great news.  As good of a coach that Sam Wyche was, from all reports he is an even better man.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/sam-wyche-undergoes-heart-transplant-surgery-article-1.2790089

Former Bengals coach Sam Wyche is expected to undergo heart transplant surgery Tuesday after a donor emerged in the fourth quarter.

According to a post on his Facebook page — which has been providing updates on the 71-year-old’s status since last week — Wyche went in for surgery shortly before 3 a.m. on Tuesday.  Earlier in the day, Wyche had been told that an artificial pump would have to be used, but a donor proved to be a match and he was prepped for surgery.

“He does not know who the donor is nor any of the circumstances surrounding his donor,” the Facebook post reads. “Sam is eternally grateful as all of you can imagine.”

Wyche was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 16 years ago. He told Peter King of a conversation that he recently had with Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, who had a heart transplant at the same hospital — Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte — in 2009.

“He told me not to worry,” Wyche recalled, “heart transplants are like changing a tire to the doctors here.”

39 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/sam-wyche-undergoes-heart-transplant-surgery-article-1.2790089

Former Bengals coach Sam Wyche is expected to undergo heart transplant surgery Tuesday after a donor emerged in the fourth quarter.

According to a post on his Facebook page — which has been providing updates on the 71-year-old’s status since last week — Wyche went in for surgery shortly before 3 a.m. on Tuesday.  Earlier in the day, Wyche had been told that an artificial pump would have to be used, but a donor proved to be a match and he was prepped for surgery.

“He does not know who the donor is nor any of the circumstances surrounding his donor,” the Facebook post reads. “Sam is eternally grateful as all of you can imagine.”

Wyche was diagnosed with congestive heart failure 16 years ago. He told Peter King of a conversation that he recently had with Panthers owner Jerry Richardson, who had a heart transplant at the same hospital — Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte — in 2009.

“He told me not to worry,” Wyche recalled, “heart transplants are like changing a tire to the doctors here.”

Like changing a tire...  Wow.   Thanks for the update. 

31 minutes ago, Numbers said:

Like changing a tire...  Wow.   Thanks for the update. 

Does this mean the transplant was done by AAA? (no ninja necessary :) )

Seriously, just fantastic news and my prayers for a speedy recovery go out to Sam and family.  Great coach.  Great guy.

Linky: http://www.wcpo.com/sports/football/bengals/sam-wyches-son-gives-update-on-dad-thanks-everyone-for-prayers

Sam Wyche's son gives update on dad, thanks everyone for prayers

WCPO%20Super%20Bowl%20XXIII%20Sam%20Wych

CINCINNATI – Sam Wyche's son thanks Cincinnati for praying for his dad and says the former Bengals coach and quarterback  is "doing great" after a life-saving heart transplant.

"He's still resting and recovering," Zak Wyche told WCPO Tuesday night. "He's been sleeping most of the day.  I don't know if he's woken up or not, but they were letting him sleep and then they were going to work on waking him up tomorrow."

Zak Wyche said the 4 ½-hour surgery Tuesday "went off without a hitch. There were no unexpected surprises and he's doing good.

"It's amazing that he has such a big heart and always helping people and this is what is causing him the most problems. But he's a fighter and he's not going down without giving everything he has," said Zak Wyche, a teacher at Cincinnati's Purcell Marian High School.

The transplant didn't come a moment too soon. Wyche's doctors told him Monday that he would have just a week to live if a donor couldn't be found.

Zak Wyche said he was preparing to give his kids the bad news.

"He called me during my class and, um, told me that the window has passed for the pump and if he doesn't get a new heart within a week, they would send him home and hospice would come in and try to make his remaining time as comfortable as possible," Zak Wyche said. "So I was preparing to tell the kids what was going to happen to their grandfather.

"Later on I got a message that they got a heart and it's just been a roller coaster."

In the meantime, the football team at Moeller High School – including Zak's son,  Sammy – had gathered at the statue of Mary at the school to pray for Wyche.

"We are very excited for him and so grateful to the donor family. I know they are going through a tough time right now," Zak Wyche said. "Being an organ donor is such a great thing and we are so grateful people are out there doing that."

Wyche, who underwent surgery at a hospital in Charlotte, North Carolina, could going home to South Carolina "in a week to two weeks," his son said.

"We have been reading all the posts on social media and we appreciate all the prayers and are so thankful," Zak Wyche said. "And we are just grateful to the community for the love and support they have shown us.

"Cincinnati is an amazing place."

Archived