Bengals claim KeiVarae Russell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/09/15/bengals-claim-keivare-russell/

Bengals claim KeiVarae Russell

Posted by Zac Jackson on September 15, 2016, 4:37 PM EDT

The Bengals claimed cornerback KeiVarae Russell Thursday, a day after the Chiefs made the rare and curious move of waiving a 2016 third-round pick.

The Bengals have been looking for cornerback depth and are without their first-round pick,William Jackson III, until at least November. The Bengals are pretty far down the waiver wire order, so it’s interesting to see that most of the league passed on taking Russell.

Russell played in all four preseason games but was inactive for last week’s game before being waived. The Bengals cut guard Trey Hopkins to make room on the roster for Russell and could bring Hopkins back to their practice squad.

I doubt Dennard is in trouble. This is just the kind of cornerback they like to play the perimeter.  He's got length and speed. Problem is, he wasn't very good at ND last year and he is a third round pick that got cut. Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't last long.

1 minute ago, Tigers Johnson said:

He is a third round pick from THIS year... Why didn't the Chiefs give him time to develop? Makes no sense with his physical attributes and ability...

There were "other issues" from what I read. Type of guy the Bengals were happy to take a shot with. And the Bengals have good connections with ND too so they aren't taking a blind chance.

11 minutes ago, TimKrumrieFan said:

There were "other issues" from what I read. Type of guy the Bengals were happy to take a shot with. And the Bengals have good connections with ND too so they aren't taking a blind chance.

What other issues? The Chiefs said it was strictly a football decision... 

Reading on a KC message board, sounds more like a salary cap game than anything else, cut #53 on a 53 man roster, bring back a vet DL after week one so you don't have to guarantee his salary. Stuff coming out now about academic fraud at ND, tons of replies to this topic on their board.

26 minutes ago, B.A.B. said:

He's in the league now. IDGAF about academic fraud. Especially if it gets ND in trouble

agreed 100%.. I even welcome meatchicken players if they will help the Bengals...

That being said... Fuck Notre Dame and meatchicken

1 hour ago, Enon Bengal said:

Enon... sorry, but this was your entire post to me..did you say something?

3 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

Reading on a KC message board, sounds more like a salary cap game than anything else, cut #53 on a 53 man roster, bring back a vet DL after week one so you don't have to guarantee his salary. Stuff coming out now about academic fraud at ND, tons of replies to this topic on their board.

Nothing new about academic fraud. That has been known. He got suspended at ND with a bunch of other players for it.

5 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I also think the bengals might have taken him to block the stealers from getting him.

They would have gotten him over us in a claim.

27 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The idea of the "Student-Athlete" in the NCAA for these future NFL guys is a joke anyway

Student Athlete is an oxymoron.  There is academic fraud for student athletes in almost all schools.  Remember how James Brooks is almost an illiterate?  And the one guy who sued his school a number of years ago.  Begs the question how did they get in in the first place.

But the point... did this guy do anything else besides be dumber than a box of rocks?

Good pick up for potential alone.  KC was trying to sneak him through the waiver wires and get him on their practice squad, I would assume.

Whatever... he can take Hopkins's spot on the inactive list for a few weeks until he learns the scheme.  If he is smart enough to absorb it and does not go all Dawson on us.

3 minutes ago, cnbengal said:

Claim position is based on last year still, so Pittsburgh's spot was right before us

Except they picked after us in the draft.  I thought it was based on draft position until a couple of weeks into the season.

Archived