Bengals claim KeiVarae Russell

Bengals are carrying 11 DBs right now, and that doesn't even include WJ3 who is on IR.  That is probably too many.  I would think that they see Russell as a potential upgrade over Chykie Brown and will give him a few weeks to prove it.  But next time they need to make space they will probably cut either Brown or Russell.  

Sounds to me like Russell was the Chief's version of Paul Dawson, a talented young guy who wasn't getting with the program and needed a wakeup call.  Like Dawson, his future is totally up in the air.  He could live up to his potential and be a monster, or he could keep doing what he has been doing and wind up flipping burgers in the near future.  Unfortunately, the odds are in favor of the latter rather than the former.  Guys who need a wakeup call before ever accomplishing anything are more likely to repeatedly hit the snooze button than wake up and get their shit together.

16 hours ago, Tigers Johnson said:

What other issues? The Chiefs said it was strictly a football decision... 

Technically, everything a football team does is a football decision.  But drafting a guy in the 3rd round, putting him on your 53 man roster, and then cutting him after one week to make room for a guy you cut one week earlier is a pretty damn unusual football decision.

Consensus on Chiefs message board seems to be that Russell was cut because he acted like an asshole in the locker room.  Here is one post:

Sorry if Q, but 610 radio just had Matt Miller from Bleacher Report on. He said he had talked to several of his Chiefs contacts as to what might've happened to hasten Russell's release. No one said it was anything specific (like an off field issue). Generally, the take was that he was a bit of a knucklehead who talked way to much for a rookie. Got the impression that the guy thought he was God's gift and wasn't afraid to share that with anyone/everyone. Just didn't fit in. FWIW.

I'm not expecting much from Russell.  Teams will put up with a guy being an asshole if he can play.  Russell was so bad that he wasn't even getting snaps in preseason games and he was apparently unwilling to play special teams.  Is he better than Chykie Brown?  Maybe.  But that will only buy him so much time.  He will have to outplay Lewis-Harris, Shaw and Dennard in order to have a shot at any playing time.  That doesn't seem very likely.  

7 minutes ago, BlackBengal said:

I'm not expecting much from Russell.  Teams will put up with a guy being an asshole if he can play.  Russell was so bad that he wasn't even getting snaps in preseason games and he was apparently unwilling to play special teams.  Is he better than Chykie Brown?  Maybe.  But that will only buy him so much time.  He will have to outplay Lewis-Harris, Shaw and Dennard in order to have a shot at any playing time.  That doesn't seem very likely.  

He wasn't picked up for 2016 so it doesn't really matter.

I don't care if he gets playing time or not.  I'm just happy the Bengals have a young guy with the potential to be useful somewhere down the road as the final DB on the roster instead of some never-was 30 year old scrub.  I'm not a fan of stashing veteran players deep on the bench.  Those spots at the bottom of the roster should be for developing new talent, not for old guys playing out the string.  With Kirkpatrick likely gone after this season and Jones on the back nine of his career, the Bengals need a constant supply of young blood at the position.

1 hour ago, SocalBengalEd said:

Huge Notre Dame fan.   I've seen Russell since his freshman year.  Hes fast n can hit but he's missing something.   He was always one step behind n never made plays.  I never understood the hype I always thought he was the weak link in the secondary

Notre Dame's coaches are kinda shit from a defensive perspective so hopefully getting teamed with Coyle to develop = great success.

Russel's scouting report from CBSSports.com:

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Looks the part of an NFL cornerback with a well-developed, athletic frame, including broad shoulders, relatively long arms and a tapered waist. Possesses the raw athleticism to project well to the next level as a cover corner, showing light feet, balance and swivel hips to quickly change direction and run with receivers. 

Effectively squeezes the receiver toward the sideline on vertical routes, leaving little space for quarterbacks to drop in passes. Throttles down quickly, showing good agility and balance as well as a quick burst to close downhill on underneath routes. Good stop-start quickness to recover against double-moves, accelerating fluidly and showing good speed overall. 

Excellent hand-eye coordination to snake his hands between those of his opponent as the ball arrives, showing the wherewithal to break up passes even when receivers appear to have beaten him. Flashes the ability to make the incredible interception (USC), showing good vision to track the ball over his shoulder, as well as proper timing and body control to win contested passes. 

Isn't a particularly physical tackler but is generally reliable, lassoing ballcarriers' legs with his arms for the effective stop. 

WEAKNESSES: Too often satisfied with matching up with his receiver and losing track of the ball. Doesn't peel off of his primary assignment quickly enough to come up in run support or against underneath receivers. Relies on reading the eyes of receiver to know when to swat at the ball, failing to turn and locate, at times. 

Missed the 2014 season due to academic issues and therefore must convince scouts that he possesses the football intelligence and work ethic to handle a complicated defense. Also comes with medical questions after suffering a broken right tibia which ended his 2015 season Nov. 21 against Boston College and puts his ability to work out at the Combine in doubt. 

IN OUR VIEW: After missing the entire 2014 season and going down late with a broken leg in 2015, Russell's collegiate career didn't end as impressively as it began. He was an immediate standout for the Irish, starting the first 26 games of his career and emerging as the team's best cornerback. The coverage ability and confidence are there to project as Russell as a future starter at the next level, assuming, of course, that scouts are satisfied with his pre-draft testing. 

Archived