"STEALERS", it's literally in the name.

2006_stealers.jpg

Another STEALER game, and another game where the Bengals had to not only beat Shittsburgh on the field, but the refs as well.

It’s fairly obvious at this point, that when you play the Stealers, you cannot play them equal, or even beat them by 1-7 points, as that margin isn’t enough to overcome the additional assistance by the referees. When you play the Stealers, in order to get a win by 7 points, you have to actually beat them by the equivalent of 17-21 points.

Which means that to beat Shittsburgh, you have to outplay them to the point where despite the refs ignoring their consistent holding, and costing you several scores or drives / turnovers etc – you still come out on top.

Now obviously this is possible, as Cincy has beaten the Stealers in the past. But on a day like today, where the Bengals basically played them even, or at most outplayed the Stealers slightly for what under normal fair circumstances would have been a 1-7 point Bengals win, it turns into an 8 point sham loss.

Essentially each fan represents one “customer” so to speak, so none of this should come as a surprise, since the NFL is above all a corporation and business, with the explicit mission to maximum their profits for shareholders and owners. Now with that said, if you have one fan base that has 15 million fans, and another with 500,000 fans, of course you are going to systematically favor and give the edge to the larger fan base's team when possible. Now you can’t obviously throw games in their favor, but you can give them a slight edge in lots of different ways. Which in today’s NFL, where the top 10 NFL teams are fairly even, can make a huge difference, and be the deciding factor between going 9-7 and 12-4. It can also mean the difference between winning 27-24, and losing 24-18. 

The NFL doesn’t also even have to always tilt things in the Stealers favor, as sometimes they can legitimately beat a team without it. So for instance, when they are playing the 1-10 Browns, the refs are not needed to give them that extra edge. However, when you have an ascendant team like the Cincinnati Bengals from a small market city with a comparatively small fan base, and they all of the sudden are consistently good enough to take the AFC North and cost the NFL tens of millions of dollars by knocking out one of their ‘blue chip’ franchises (i.e. Stealers, Patriots, Cowboys, Packers etc) – then the refs go into the game knowing their services will likely be necessary. Today’s game, just like in January showed that is clearly the case.  

As for what to do about it, Bengals fans have 2 options basically … since nothing will change on the NFL’s end. Fans of the Bengals can either just accept this for how the league is and hope the Bengals can be so much better than the Stealers that the refs can’t take it away, or Bengals fans can forgo taking part in the NFL or giving the league their funds. However, even if fans do this, it won’t matter, as the fan base of the Stealers is so much larger than the Bengals that the NFL would never alter the dynamics to please Bengals fans. So that leaves us as Bengals fans stuck, do you give up enjoying a sport that you may have loved your whole life because it isn’t fair, or do you defiantly hope that your club can still overcome those odds and win despite of the unfairness? And if you live in Cincy, you paid for Paul Brown Stadium whether you like it or not. 

So here we are … fuck the NFL, fuck the refs, fuck the Stealers, fuck their fans, fuck their city, and fuck their players.

Who Dey.

What makes it even worse is that at some point they are gonna come out in a quiet press release and admit that Uzomah shoulda been ruled a TD and that Boyd had his knee down. Because this small act of attrition gives them the grounds to say "hey, we're sorry, we're not perfect and we recognize it, please keep giving us your money", even though they don't/won't mean it. 

But fuck your sorries, your mea culpas, your admissions of wrong doings, NFL. They mean exactly jack and shit. Unless you're going to start overturning decisions or retroactively removing or adding points to the scoreboard, which you obviously can't do, then fuck it. It doesn't make me feel any fucking better to hear through the grape vine that the NFL acknowledges that cheating happened when they know it happens every single fucking time. Unless you are going to create a position where someone from an independent agency (NOT the league office) is literally sitting at every game watching and critiquing every call and non-call on the spot with instant override or veto power (which would actually make them refs, right?), then go to hell, NFL. 

At this point, I'd actually prefer some form of interactive replay, where the results of the replay are determined by fans at home, or an "unbiased" network of viewers. Just like American Idol or some shit. And maybe to mitigate bias, you only allow viewers from outside the markets of the teams playing to actually vote. I know it sounds ludicrous, but not much more than the bullshit decisions the refs pull on a game by game basis.  

29 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

My dad told me years ago the league was fixed, too much money in it for it not to be. Guys on here gave me grief when i said it a couple of years ago...

I might have been one of them. Please accept my retroactive apology... 

I have been watching the NFL for 45 years..It's fixed no doubt...and after last January 9th and today if you don't agree you are delusional..It is definitely fixed for the Stealers and Cheatriots..they get every call  ...and it was fixed for the Ravens the year they won it all vs 49ers..Ray Lewis' last year....The year Brady decides to retire bet your house on the Cheatriots theyll win it all..Last year I predicted MANNING winning it all. I just wish I had the guts to bet...

51 minutes ago, Enon Bengal said:

My dad told me years ago the league was fixed, too much money in it for it not to be. Guys on here gave me grief when i said it a couple of years ago...

This x 1 billion literally.... The NFL is a billion dollar enterprise ran by billionaires. Do you think they will leave the outcome of their business ventures to chance OR do you think they behave like the powerful men they are do everything possible to guarantee the best results for all parties involved?

5 hours ago, Enon Bengal said:

My dad told me years ago the league was fixed

I wouldn't say "fixed" (as in the outcome is already decided and thus the entire thing is staged), but that certain blue-chip teams operate under a preferential set of rules and policies, and the league does their best to assure their success through a litany of subtle (and not so subtle) ways. 2 guys are still running the race, one just has to jump hurdles, while the other has a smooth track. 

4 hours ago, Hooky said:

The NFL is WWF. The stealers are the Iron Sheik and the Bengals are Bobby Wilson, some guy from Topeka.

For the record I don't think the Bengals are part of the charade and that the outcomes are decided in advance. It is theoretically possible for the Bengals to win every game and even win the Superbowl, however based on their market size, the Bengals just have many more obstacles intentionally placed in their path by the NFL. And to beat a team like the Stealers they have to clearly beat them to a point where the refs can't flip the script. That is what makes the Bengals recent success all the remarkable. Is that it isn't supposed to be happening if the NFL had their preferred way. 

If you think about, the Bengals had to play today's game without arguably their best player (Burfict) who was only out because he had the audacity to be physical with and in the process injure some of the NFL's marquee players for one of their preferred franchises. As for Stealer stars like Bell, the only way they are suspended is to fail a drug test, where the NFL has no discretion to overlook the offense., since it's likely handled by a third independent party. 

What are the chances, if Boyd recovered the "fumble" that they would've called it incomplete?

And I said the same thing in another thread about this play being ignored by the media. If it was the stealers on the other end, it would've never been called a fumble at any point of the play. fuckface fowler didn't even mention the review in his recap. Just said Harrison forced a fumble and sealed the game. Insinuating that it was a great defensive play. 

29 minutes ago, oldschooler said:

Which play was that? Rhetorical. There were so many. Some with two obvious holds on one play. It's like the refs told their line to do whatever they wanted. Then Whit got called for one, negating the possibility that the refs were unfamiliar that there is a penalty for holding.

BJ and I agree that this is not a predetermined outcome league. They have just copied the NBA Dynamic of molding the outcomes by over regulation and selective enforcement. Can it be overcome by a non-favored franchise against a favored one? Certainly--but it takes playing completely out of one's ass for a full 60 minutes. I remember when the NBA was so intent on having the New York Knicks win an NBA Title, it took Houston shooting a SERIES average 61% from the field in order to overcome the favoritism.

The same Dynamic is here with the NFL right now.

I am still not over the refusal to flag the Stealers for holding at any point when it went on ALL GAME LONG. They were SO blatant, and they were on huge plays for Pittsburgh. Even more than the effed up fumble call at the end, the game long refusal to stop Pittsburgh from cheating made it clear the fix was in. This league is so unbelievably corrupt and slanted toward the marquee teams.

Archived