"STEALERS", it's literally in the name.

19 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Remember this about reviews: There has to be irrefutable evidence or the outcome has to favor a select team of the league at a pivotal point of the game to overturn the call on the field.

Yeah, we were victimized by the interaction of 2 officiating practices. One is to rule things a fumble if there is any question so play can continue and replay can sort it out afterward. The other is that for replay purposes the call on the field stands unless there is indisputable visual evidence to the contrary. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, we were victimized by the interaction of 2 officiating practices. One is to rule things a fumble if there is any question so play can continue and replay can sort it out afterward. The other is that for replay purposes the call on the field stands unless there is indisputable visual evidence to the contrary. 

You aren't trying to say there wasn't indisputable evidence on that Boyd fumble are you, because there was. There were 2 angles where you could see without a doubt that the knee was down before the ball came out. 

I'm going to admit, had the "Fumble stands" thing been against the Stealers, I'd have been pissed too.  I can't hold that against you.  I will say I was pretty irritated at the 2 PI calls the Stealers got near the end-zone while your DBs were mugging our guys all day with no flags.  AB was tackled twice in the end zone and the ref didn't throw a flag...  I'm just sayin'.

Ultimately, the ref said he couldn't specifically see whether the ball was loose or not and therefore he didn't have conclusive evidence that it "wasn't loose" before the knee was down.  Is that weaker than shit?  Sure.  But based on the rules of instant replay the referees aren't allowed to change the play unless they can definitively see something that proves without a doubt that the call on the field was wrong.  Since you can't see the ball at all on the replay, you can't see that it's not loose.  (Again, is that weaker than shit?  Sure.  Would I be pissed if that happened to the Stealers?  Sure.)  But based on the rules of instant replay, that's how it ought to have been called.  Had they had a camera angle from the side, it would have clearly shown that your receiver held on to the ball and he was down.  (I bet he was down.  I won't even argue that.)

As for Marvin not throwing the challenge flag on the TD call?  I don't know.  I'm not sure why he didn't do it.  I assume the refs looked at it and determined the fellow's knee was on the chalk, but they certainly should have done a better job explaining it.  Just sort of overlooking it and moving on does nothing but irritate people and lead to the kind of speculation we have here.  Marvin should have thrown the flag just to "jump start" the officials and remind them that people were watching.  That's my thought anyway.

At any rate, I thought you guys played a good game in the monsoon.  It looked pretty much like a done deal and you came back.  That's a ton of maturity and mental toughness.  The Bengals played tough.

I didn't see that Lucid.  I couldn't see the ball clearly in any shot.  And in one shot it looked like the ball was bouncing out the instant his knee was down, which indicates to me, it may not have been very well grasped. 

However, "not very well grasped' is not enough one way or another to overturn.

I didn't see these shots you refer to.  If you have screen grabs, please put them up.  I'm happy to look at them.  As I said.  I do sympathize.  I really do.

1 hour ago, Dey said:

I didn't see that Lucid.  I couldn't see the ball clearly in any shot.  And in one shot it looked like the ball was bouncing out the instant his knee was down, which indicates to me, it may not have been very well grasped. 

However, "not very well grasped' is not enough one way or another to overturn.

I didn't see these shots you refer to.  If you have screen grabs, please put them up.  I'm happy to look at them.  As I said.  I do sympathize.  I really do.

How about some screen grabs of AB getting tackled in the endzone? I saw no such thing

8 hours ago, Hooky said:

Which play was that? Rhetorical. There were so many. Some with two obvious holds on one play. It's like the refs told their line to do whatever they wanted. Then Whit got called for one, negating the possibility that the refs were unfamiliar that there is a penalty for holding.

That was the first 50 yard bomb to Coates. 

If the Stealers OL had hugged our D-Linemen just a little bit harder, they would have had to arrange 4 weddings after the game.

To play devil's advocate, it was a poorly called game... At best. And those poor calls seemed to go the Stealers way a lot more often than ours.

My personal favorite was the blatant false start on Pouncey that became defensive encroachment on the entire defensive line. That was pretty sweet.

The reality is though that the difference came down to Red Zone attempts. Too many field goals, not enough touchdowns. Not enough support from the run game, not enough protection in the passing game.

Cedric Ogubuhei has managed the impossible.... He's worse than Andre Smith. Against the Jets and Stealers, he got eaten alive. Just bull rushing him back into Dalton's lap. He's a rookie, but that's why you give him more reps in pre-season instead of putting him in bubble wrap.

The D-Line? I was happy to see Margus Hunt on the field. FML... Teams are gashing us in the run game, and we're not giving the quarterback any "remember me's", much less getting sacks.

Both lines must study the way of the squirrel so they can find their god damned nuts before they step on the field.

So, as mad as I am about the officiating, I'm sorry to say the Stealers were the better team on Sunday. Hopefully this will be a wake up call after squeaking out a similarly ugly game against the Jets.

In case you haven't seen Lance's compilation of holing calls that were missed...

http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/lance-mcalister-7818/vines-hold-on-a-second-15117710/

I sensed a developing theme this week.....so I went with it: Holding not called on the Stealers. I'll give Jesse James (81), David DeCastro (66), Marcus Gilbert (74) and Ramon Foster (73) credit, they were certainly creative in how they held.

You're kidding, right Lucid?

Look.  I'm willing to be objective.  Pouncey did rock back and he got away with a false start.  I said that if it was a Steeler receiver who'd gotten the fumble call upheld, I'da been pissed too.  But let's not pretend that your shiny new linebacker acquisition didn't tackle Brown twice in the endzone.

Ironicially, Brown was off yesterday.  He may not have even caught a pass thrown to him anyway.  But the refs were apparently determined to let your DBs mug our receivers and they decided to let our offensive linemen get away with some extra-curriculars on the defensive front seven.  You're also welcome for those two ticky-tack PI calls that got you guys down to the goal line.  Those calls weren't going both ways.

You also failed to mention the hit to the head Roethlisberger took.  That could have drawn a flag, but shockingly did not.  P.S. fans are pretty used to that.  In fairness, I'll say your guy took a pretty vicious shot to the back yesterday too.  He's a tough fellow himself. 

I will give credit.  That's a hellacious front 7 you got there.  I can't see the Ravens or (of course) the Browns doing a thing against those guys.  Your secondary is impressive too.  The Bengals are looking good.

Please tell me you consider any of this legitimate football? I go back...way back...to when I saw Mike Webster block. In those times--no extended arms/no open hands--blocking was a true art, and he was one of the best at it.

Now, it is grab/lean/push. Even with that, what I have seen--not only yesterday, but for at least the past decade--is a selectively enforced rule and sets of rules, which by their multitudinous nature, could not be consistently enforced even if they wanted to. 

No, it is the "new" NFL Dynamic. Favored franchises will always be given the nods before the non-favored franchises. This isn't the NFL I grew up with, not even close. I haven't believed in its integrity for many years, which is why I no longer take it seriously.

15 hours ago, Dey said:

Look.  I'm willing to be objective.  Pouncey did rock back and he got away with a false start.  I said that if it was a Steeler receiver who'd gotten the fumble call upheld, I'da been pissed too.  But let's not pretend that your shiny new linebacker acquisition didn't tackle Brown twice in the endzone.

Ironicially, Brown was off yesterday.  He may not have even caught a pass thrown to him anyway.  But the refs were apparently determined to let your DBs mug our receivers and they decided to let our offensive linemen get away with some extra-curriculars on the defensive front seven.  You're also welcome for those two ticky-tack PI calls that got you guys down to the goal line.  Those calls weren't going both ways.

You also failed to mention the hit to the head Roethlisberger took.  That could have drawn a flag, but shockingly did not.  P.S. fans are pretty used to that.  In fairness, I'll say your guy took a pretty vicious shot to the back yesterday too.  He's a tough fellow himself. 

I will give credit.  That's a hellacious front 7 you got there.  I can't see the Ravens or (of course) the Browns doing a thing against those guys.  Your secondary is impressive too.  The Bengals are looking good.

So, I read that as two bad calls vs. the multitude of bad calls against us, right? Just to make sure I have your argument down pat.

I know that it doesn't matter, and I'm not saying it to rag on Marvin, but if I was the HC as soon as the replay confirmed the fumble (which obviously it didn't) I'd have taken my players to the locker room in protest.

Sure it wouldn't have changed a damn thing. Sure we'd have probably forfeited, but we were losing anyway so fuck it. It would have been worth it to put the NFL on notice that I am sick of their shit, and force the media to actually cover the story. They'd have to show the non-fumble as part of their story, and it would be obvious to all we were robbed.

19 hours ago, Dey said:

Why would I be kidding? You asked me to do the same thing. Produce pictures of a live televised event to prove my statement. Since you are a guest here, I say "after you.."

23 hours ago, sois said:

Don't let Marvin off the hook for not challenging Uzomaha's touchdonw.

Yes, Marvin is the one that ultimately throws the challenge flag, but the decision is really made by some asst. coach in the booth that has immediate access to replay monitors (I don't know specifically who it is for the Bengals). For him to miss such a crucial chance to challenge is a fireable offense IMO. I mean, we were on offense for Christ sake. He had all the time in the world to look over the replays.

18 hours ago, Dey said:

One last statement, then I  am done.

First,  I still call bullshit on the all day mugging,  two incidents does not an all day make.  There was not a bit different than all teams do when they are playing man to man.  If that were the defensive scheme of Pittsburgh instead of all day zone defense, you would have seen just as much if not more.

Second,  Pittsburgh built a dynasty that had a heavy dose of mugging receivers and got a "one for the thumb" thanks largely due to "ticky-tack" officiating.  So to complain about another team doing that to the the Stealers, fictional or not, is quite disingenuous.  No room to gripe, unless you like the sound of computer  laughter.

Third, thank you for stopping by and at least trying to be fairly objective and complimentary.   Most of us try to be also.  In fact, you have received a great deal of restraint from this crowd, which is a testament to one or both or all of us.

Respectfully submitted.

2 hours ago, Lucid said:

The Bengals track record for challenges has been tops in the league over the last few years. You don't fire the guy because of 1 missed call.

Fair enough, I take back the fireable part. But "1 missed call" marginalizes how egregious it was. That was a crucial call and 4 extra points would've changed the whole complexion of the game. I honestly don't see how he could've missed it.

4 hours ago, CarsonCity said:

Fair enough, I take back the fireable part. But "1 missed call" marginalizes how egregious it was. That was a crucial call and 4 extra points would've changed the whole complexion of the game. I honestly don't see how he could've missed it.

The coaches upstairs get the same replay views as the fans at home. The first replay angles shown made clear Uzomah didn't get 2 feet down in bounds. It was a view shown later than made clear his knee was inside the line. 

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The coaches upstairs get the same replay views as the fans at home. The first replay angles shown made clear Uzomah didn't get 2 feet down in bounds. It was a view shown later than made clear his knee was inside the line. 

Everyone I watched it with saw the knee down with the replays we were given by the broadcast. But, whatever, it's just another in a long line of plays that went wrong on Sunday.

Archived