The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Stealers Game 1

3 hours ago, whodey365 said:

The Bengals have to know they got fucked, right? After they go through and analyze the tape they should easily realize that the fix was in. The league can't continue to get away with it. I realize there are bad calls in every game but this one was on a new level. Even the Bengals got a couple of favorable calls but nowhere near what the stealers received. I'm just starting to realize that there isn't a chance in hell that the league would allow Cincinnati to do much in the playoffs. Feels bad man. 

P.S. it's all ugly. 

Yep. Depressing

4 hours ago, bengals7833 said:

Amazing.  Thanks for posting.

On the top one two Bengals were held in the same play, Margus and Carlos.

Saw another hold of Margus and he was tackled once.

Yeah, Margus fan but those clips show he is a force to be reckoned with.

Villanueva is a bit of a mauler.  He's a work in progress.  I'm not arguing that there are some holds that were missed.  And I think everyone on the planet saw the false start that Pouncey got away with.

As I said in another thread though, the Bengal DBs were pretty much getting away with some overly physical play on the P. receivers while Bengal receivers got several P.I. flags, two of which were extraordinarily beneficial and ticky-tack.  (You're going to argue they weren't I'm going to argue they were - what's the point?)

The fumble thing was a shit deal.  I understand why the referee called it like he did, but I also know for damn sure I'd be pissed if the shoe had been on the other foot.  So I get that.  That sucks.  Still I thought the Bengals played a good game and came back from some pretty serious adversity.  Being down 15 in a complete monsoon.  The Bengals did alright.  And more importantly, the biggest ass on the field was far and away a P. guy.  Mitchell was completely irritating the hell out of me.  At one point I wanted the refs to throw a flag at him because he was being such a dumbass.  He just needed to be settled down or sat down because he's going to hurt somebody.  There's just no need for that crap and there's no room for it.

So, I'm glad P. won but still, the Bengals played a great game.  The defense is stellar.  It's hard to say what either offense is capable of in that kind of mess, but clearly Cinci has great talent. 

1 hour ago, Dey said:

Villanueva is a bit of a mauler.  He's a work in progress.  I'm not arguing that there are some holds that were missed.  And I think everyone on the planet saw the false start that Pouncey got away with.

As I said in another thread though, the Bengal DBs were pretty much getting away with some overly physical play on the P. receivers while Bengal receivers got several P.I. flags, two of which were extraordinarily beneficial and ticky-tack.  (You're going to argue they weren't I'm going to argue they were - what's the point?)

The fumble thing was a shit deal.  I understand why the referee called it like he did, but I also know for damn sure I'd be pissed if the shoe had been on the other foot.  So I get that.  That sucks.  Still I thought the Bengals played a good game and came back from some pretty serious adversity.  Being down 15 in a complete monsoon.  The Bengals did alright.  And more importantly, the biggest ass on the field was far and away a P. guy.  Mitchell was completely irritating the hell out of me.  At one point I wanted the refs to throw a flag at him because he was being such a dumbass.  He just needed to be settled down or sat down because he's going to hurt somebody.  There's just no need for that crap and there's no room for it.

So, I'm glad P. won but still, the Bengals played a great game.  The defense is stellar.  It's hard to say what either offense is capable of in that kind of mess, but clearly Cinci has great talent. 

I'll agree that Cincy got away with some things in the secondary but the amount of blatant holds that Pittsburgh was getting away with was infuriating especially when they never got called for it once. When does that happen? The officiating as a whole was terrible especially considering they were on heightened awareness. Youre going to have some missed calls in every game and I'm ok with that but when your dline is getting tackled repeatedly with no flags it starts to make you wonder. The Boyd fumble was just the icing on the cake. His knee was down before he was even touched. How the refs are able to miss that after taking a second look, I'll never know.

Anyone that doesn't believe that the NFL central office doesn't tilt games to it's biggest properties is ignoring actual outcomes.  I normally don't get too hyped over this but this was the top result for Stealers not called for holding, check it out, "Benefit Rank" for calls for offensive holding for the 2015 season is, you guessed it, 1st!  I would imagine 5 more minutes on that site would lead you to the top 5 franchises in value are probably in the top 10 in benefit rank and if not, could probably be easily explained, like how the Cowboys just fail and fail and fail to make the playoffs on demand, lol

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/pittsburgh-Stealers?year=2015&view=penalties

Wow. Great find. 

8 of the top 10 "beneficiaries" we're playoff teams (Bengals in Top 10 too). No surprise that Top 5 (other than AZ) were league darling franchises. Carolina was no where close, but further cements my belief that a non-favored franchise can overcome the league slant by simply playing out of one's ass for an entire season. Well, and by playing in the NFC South also.

11 hours ago, Dey said:

Now that the smoke has cleared and I'm moving on, I started thinking about the fairly wide NFL audience that had no horse in the race. A team is coming back with a chance to tie under 2 minutes. Could be a game for the ages. It's getting exciting even for an innocent bystander and the refs pull the plug.  Hopefully, that pissed off neutral NFL fans also.

I'm not gonna lie.  I was watching the television and I didn't think there was any way on Earth they were going to uphold that.

I do understand the rationale, but looking at the replay, It's pretty hard to not want to subjectively say "Dude," he's down."  The knee-gate thing on the touchdown.  That's on Marvin.  He should have challenged and the referees / commentators should have done a better job of explaining why they didn't call it a TD during the game.  That's the kind of dumb shit the NFL needs to consider during these games.

Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't WANT a tame game between the Bengals and the Stealers.  They WANT 200k in fines because despite all the bad press etc. it makes for great nauseating television.  Even if the Bengals lost the game, I do think they won the media day in terms of behaving like professionals.  Truly I was really irritated with Mitchell.  Why he didn't draw a penalty for some of the stupid, clearly purposeful crap he was doing in the secondary is beyond me.  Particularly on a day when the referees were supposed to be keeping things under control.

I would have flagged Mitchell early just to make sure he knew better than to pull that kind of shit.  I saw 2 times at least where he made really tremendously stupid decisions after the play and they should have both been penalized.  If for no other reason than to remind everyone that this kind of shit won't fly in these games.

I still maintain those PI calls we got were only for the sake of keeping the game close.  See it all the time in the 2nd half of games when one team goes up by two scores.  When fans think the game is over they start tuning out.  Gotta keep those viewers. Protect the $hield.  It's a pa$$ing league.

12 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Wow. Great find. 

8 of the top 10 "beneficiaries" we're playoff teams (Bengals in Top 10 too). No surprise that Top 5 (other than AZ) were league darling franchises. Carolina was no where close, but further cements my belief that a non-favored franchise can overcome the league slant by simply playing out of one's ass for an entire season. Well, and by playing in the NFC South also.

Arizona doesn't have the polish of some of those other teams, but with 3.5 million people in the Phoenix area alone & the nearest NFL teams in LA or Denver there's a good reason to fluff the Cardinals.  The bigger problem for them is that so much of PHX's pop are transplants that brought their fandom  for Green Bay or whoever with them.

Archived