The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly - Stealers Game 1

Out here in Ohio for a family reunion spent the day watching my nephews soccer games, just finished the recorded game. 

The Good

Dline Pressure

Oline blocking better than last week

Tight End play

Gio 

The bad

3rd down on both sides of the ball, this is the biggest reason we lost the game.

Field position, Erickson needs to learn when to fair catch and when not to

drops by our DBs, we had 3 INTs left on the field

lack of running game, which imo is a lack of push by the oline 

The Ugly

Horrible call on Boyd's catch

Good:

Secondary receivers getting it done when needed.

Run D was solid.

Bad:

Dalton when scrambling or rolling out.

Drops on offense and defense.

No running game.

Ugly:

Brutal calls.

The condition of the field.  Atrocious.  I know it was raining, but that field is most often a swamp.

Good: My vow to not watch a single snap of the next stealers game. What's the point? I will DVR it and only view it later if the outcome is not fucked by the league again. In which case, I will promptly delete it just like I deleted this game within seconds of completion.

37 minutes ago, fluhartz said:

Good.. The determination of the Bengals players trying to overcome the dirty ass stealers and the fucking refs.

Bad.. Me still being so pissed.. I really really really really need to stop letting a rigged football game get to me.

Ugly..

e29ab52f0dd8e487eadf05e6295232e0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Bad:Limited to +1 on this post.

The Good... Went to Belterra after the game and came home $300 richer.

The Bad... I think I have another kidney stone

The Ugly... The officiating and coaching.  I honestly think the NFL and officials rub the Marvengals nose in shit week after week, year after year because they know the can.  This does not happen to the Patriots or Squeelers and several others.  Can you imagine Belicheat going ape shit up the refs ass after calls like a few of those?  Nobody likes to hear that stuff so the refs back off or don't call them.  Marvy just stands there.  The crew yesterday was a bunch of homering ass clowns and didn't have the 'nads to call anything against Omar Epps and Joey Heatherton et al.

GOOD
Gio Bernard catching the ball out of the backfield. He should be taking 70% of the snaps, minimum
Andy Dalton. Although he had some sketchy moments, the guy continues to hang in there and make plays in the clutch
Adam Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick. Did a fairly good job shutting down a powerful air attack and both picked up an INT
Tyler Boyd. Lafell and Boyd making us forget about Jones and Sanu.
Margus Hunt. Not much on the stat line but was disruptive every time I saw him on the field.
Rey Maualuga. A guy that usually takes a beating from me but was very good on run defense 

BAD
Erickson's fair catches inside the 10. Whoever's idea it was should get shoed in the nuts. Terrible.
Jeremy "Dancing Queen" Hill. Slowing down to juke around the backfield does nothing to help you. You are about as shifty as Jeremi Johnson. You should be on the bench.
3rd Down Offense and Defence. You can't win football games playing like that.
Scoring. You can't score you first TD of the day in the 4th and expect to win.
Domata Peko is dreadful
2 sacks in two games. Gotta be better than that.
Ian Eagle repeatedly saying "Shake and Bake" when a RB made a move

UGLY
Losing to the Stealers. I hate losing to these fucking hillbillies. Ruined my day yesterday. All of their toothless fan base that I know texted me laughing. Totally ignored the WILDLY lopsided refereeing.
Holding, incorrect call on the TD and incorrect call on the fumble replay. Disgusting display of officiating. Totally lopsided and obvious.

The Bengals have to know they got fucked, right? After they go through and analyze the tape they should easily realize that the fix was in. The league can't continue to get away with it. I realize there are bad calls in every game but this one was on a new level. Even the Bengals got a couple of favorable calls but nowhere near what the stealers received. I'm just starting to realize that there isn't a chance in hell that the league would allow Cincinnati to do much in the playoffs. Feels bad man. 

P.S. it's all ugly. 

Did everyone notice Marvin's face when they ruled the "fumble" stands? He never gives a reaction at all. I think it is part of him trying to keep his team on a level composure and because he is on the competition committee. He looked like he saw a fucking ghost when they ref said the call stands. The Stealers even knew it wasn't a fumble as they had their defense on the field. Any team that thinks they have even a glimmer of hope of winning the challenge puts their offense on the field. You usually see both teams offenses standing out on the field waiting for the call. Ben was nowhere close to the field and had to go get his helmet because even he knew that shit was down by contact.

Can you imagine if Jeremy Hill's fumble looked like that one last year in the playoff game? I would have gotten arrested for running on the field and trying to murder the ref.

1 hour ago, BengalFanInTO said:

BAD
Erickson's fair catches inside the 10. Whoever's idea it was should get shoed in the nuts. Terrible.

Particularly with field turf (although that was not the surface yesterday) and the improved punting techniques, I don't think the old rules apply so much anymore.  But I do think at the 5 I'd take my chances if there aren't members of the other punt team down there. 

2 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

GOOD
Gio Bernard catching the ball out of the backfield. He should be taking 70% of the snaps, minimum
Andy Dalton. Although he had some sketchy moments, the guy continues to hang in there and make plays in the clutch
Adam Jones and Dre Kirkpatrick. Did a fairly good job shutting down a powerful air attack and both picked up an INT
Tyler Boyd. Lafell and Boyd making us forget about Jones and Sanu.
Margus Hunt. Not much on the stat line but was disruptive every time I saw him on the field.
Rey Maualuga. A guy that usually takes a beating from me but was very good on run defense 

BAD
Jeremy "Dancing Queen" Hill. Slowing down to juke around the backfield does nothing to help you. You are about as shifty as Jeremi Johnson. You should be on the bench.
3rd Down Offense and Defence. You can't win football games playing like that.
Scoring. You can't score you first TD of the day in the 4th and expect to win.
Domata Peko is dreadful
2 sacks in two games. Gotta be better than that.
Ian Eagle repeatedly saying "Shake and Bake" when a RB made a move

UGLY
Losing to the Stealers. I hate losing to these fucking hillbillies. Ruined my day yesterday. All of their toothless fan base that I know texted me laughing. Totally ignored the WILDLY lopsided refereeing.
Holding, incorrect call on the TD and incorrect call on the fumble replay. Disgusting display of officiating. Totally lopsided and obvious.

This is the review I agree with the most.

Gio should be the starter, Erickson needs to be cut today.

Uh, you know defensive linemen and TEs can grab DT and DE inside the pads on the rush.  As long as they keep their hands inside they're fine.  They have to release once the defensive player gets past them.  But if the offensive player can stay in front and stay engaged, it's not holding.

Some of those are indeed holds, but not all of them.  Easy fellas.  The good news is you've got a heck of a good defensive line!  There's that!

31 minutes ago, Dey said:

Uh, you know defensive linemen and TEs can grab DT and DE inside the pads on the rush.  As long as they keep their hands inside they're fine.  They have to release once the defensive player gets past them.  But if the offensive player can stay in front and stay engaged, it's not holding.

Some of those are indeed holds, but not all of them.  Easy fellas.  The good news is you've got a heck of a good defensive line!  There's that!

That is where the issue is...that was constant that they didn't disengage even once beat and not a single flag was thrown on it. Not even 1. Some were blatant as hell in the open as the guy was a step from making the sack which changes the entire game as some were on 3rd downs that led to scores instead of punts.

54 minutes ago, Dey said:

I don't have an issue with the jersey  grabs inside the pads, every team does it and it's considered legal.  I have a BIG  issue with at least 3 bear hugs perpetrated by Villanueva (who is pretty much universally liked by both fan bases) alone, two tackle takedowns all of them right at the guy with the ball.....and not a single one of the them called.  Those are the one's that left me incredulously shaking my head that I can remember.  If they are away from the play or really wouldn't have had a bearing on the play, I really don't care.     I'm still pissed off about last year's game in PBS,--not the playoff game--.   McCarron was hot and bringing the Bengals back and just completed a long pass to midfield when Whit got called for a phantom hold---just pushed his guy to ground with his own momentum--not even close.  Instead of 1st and 10 at midfield, it's 2nd and 20 at the 15 and the next play is a pick and a subsequent TD that pretty much took the wind out of the sails for that game.  So to see that kind of craziness completely dismissed by the officials, that's just inexcusable.

As for mugging the Pittsburgh receivers "all day", I call bullshit on that one.  I saw a couple not called but the rest of the day was at worst hand jockeying back and forth.   I also saw a defender hit Green on two occasions before the ball arrived.  It happens both ways, sport.   with that I also sure didn't remember any late hits on Dalton, either.

5 minutes ago, Dr Tarzan said:

I don't have an issue with the jersey  grabs inside the pads, every team does it and it's considered legal.  I have a BIG  issue with at least 3 bear hugs perpetrated by Villanueva (who is pretty much universally liked by both fan bases) alone, two tackle takedowns all of them right at the guy with the ball.....and not a single one of the them called.  Those are the one's that left me incredulously shaking my head that I can remember.  If they are away from the play or really wouldn't have had a bearing on the play, I really don't care.     I'm still pissed off about last year's game in PBS,--not the playoff game--.   McCarron was hot and bringing the Bengals back and just completed a long pass to midfield when Whit got called for a phantom hold---just pushed his guy to ground with his own momentum--not even close.  Instead of 1st and 10 at midfield, it's 2nd and 20 at the 15 and the next play is a pick and a subsequent TD that pretty much took the wind out of the sails for that game.  So to see that kind of craziness completely dismissed by the officials, that's just inexcusable.

As for mugging the Pittsburgh receivers "all day", I call bullshit on that one.  I saw a couple not called but the rest of the day was at worst hand jockeying back and forth.   I also saw a defender hit Green on two occasions before the ball arrived.  It happens both ways, sport.   with that I also sure didn't remember any late hits on Dalton, either.

Completely agree with all of it. Well said.

Archived