The system or the QB

Does the system make the QB successful or does the QB make the system successful?

Watching New England dominating a good Texans team makes me start to wonder If its the QB or the system. You look at a guy like Matt Cassell getting a big contract after leaving NE. He followed that with a not so great career. You look at a guy like Matt Flynn who had great success in Green Bay in his few starts only to fall flat on his face when he left. Jimmy Garropolo is going to get a huge deal and wouldnt surprise me to see him not live up to expectations.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It can go both ways. Many teams use a system to protect or limit the QBs mistakes. Those with a top notch QB play a more aggressive scheme. Those with average or below scheme to limit mistakes. Also any QB with a great line should do pretty well.

As hobknob stated: some qbs need a bunch of weapons and some qbs are the weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

The Pat's are uber motivated because of how Goodell treated Brady and they have one of the best coaches of all time. 
To answer your question, it's definitely the system, good teams have a system that works and they find good players to fit that system.

Dude you can be Uber motivated until your nose hairs turn ( it's October) pumpkin orange . The pats just kick the shit (27-zip) out of a supposed playoff contender. Houston just paid that asshole 70,000,000 dollars and he looked timid as a virgin at her first shin dig. Yeah it's the system, yeah it's the coaching staff, but mostly it's the team Winning attitude. We haven't witnessed the likes of this since the reign of the NewYork Yankees. Before that game tonight Micheal what's his face said. If Houston can't win tonight , they never will. Bengals are the only team standings in the way of another perfect season run......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Brady is a top 5 QB of all time. But I do think the success of Cassell/Garroppolo/Brisset in his absence as well as the multiple times they've been caught intentionally cheating knock him out of the GOAT conversation. They have a great system for the QB to step into and not look bad but I don't think the lesser 3 guys ever get them a SB.

36 minutes ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Bill should probably call Marvin Lewis a week before game and let him know what to pack for lunch. That way when he eats Marvin's lunch it's been pre ordered to Bill's liking. Sorry folks . Lewis is great at assessing talent, just impotent at utilizing it

He hardly gets involved in the development/game planning. I wish Marvin would get more involved and take some away from his OC/DC. The reason Bengals coordinators keep getting HC jobs so quickly is that Marvin lets the OC/DC basically be HCs through the week. He makes in game decisions and is basically just a talent assessor. He's one of the more hands off HCs and I think it hurts the team. It's been that way for a long time now. He's a smart dude that's been a very successful coach and player developer and is so removed from it the last 7 years or so.

5 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Bill should probably call Marvin Lewis a week before game and let him know what to pack for lunch. That way when he eats Marvin's lunch it's been pre ordered to Bill's liking. Sorry folks . Lewis is great at assessing talent, just impotent at utilizing it

Pretty sure we beat them the last couple times we played them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jacoby-brissett-reportedly-tears-thumb-ligament-adds-to-the-patriots-qb-woes/

Jacoby Brissett reportedly tears thumb ligament, adds to the Patriots' QB woes

It wasn't his throwing hand, Oops yes it was, but they have a kid coming in from the local high school that looks good enough for bills game

12 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

I'm listening to sports radio here in Rhode Island. Their saying Geno Atkins will be a non factor like JJ Watts in two weeks. I hope we hear Geno's name all afternoon!

That's cute.  He may not get a sack but you know damned well every team we play gameplans around 97.  Get real, state that should be a county in Connecticut

The System or the QB...

Let's say that I was your chess coach. I teach you several attacks and defense. I teach you that the Spassky Defense is good against a queen pawn start, etc...  When it's tournament time, you have to play. You have to take what I've taught you and put it to use.

So, there's two parts here... Did I teach you the principles of chess well enough, and are you able to take what I've taught you and put it to good use.

It's the system and the QB. Some O-Coords are much better chess coaches, and some QB's are able to make good use of that information. They can read the defense and know the changes.

The outliers to that are some of the guys who can make good on broken plays. Big Ben? He saves one or two bad plays per game. Last Sunday, those were big plays too. You have the guys like RG3, who when healthy made their O-Coords job easier. When a guy has to spy the QB, you've taken a defender out of the play. The downside to those guys is that they take a beating and usually imrpov into horrible plays as often as great ones. O-Coords prefer a guy who will just run the gameplan they carefully constructed.

In the case of New England, they have a good system, and a good way of teaching it. They also choose guys who can run their system instead of worrying about their 40 times. They emphasize different positions on O and make it work. They don't care who Mel Kiper has rated the highest, they look for guys that can do a specific job.

Archived