calling all London goers

Se ky bengal

Note: Once these are available to the general public, I expect they will sell out right away.  Not necessarily to Bengal fans, but to ticket brokers and speculators in the UK who snapped up all of the first batch of seats (those not reserved for fans of the "home" team).  These prices are steep, without a doubt, but they are barely half what tickets are going for on the open market over in the UK and Europe right now.  As soon as they can be bought, I expect that they will be bought.

Prices are steep.  But this is possibly a once a lifetime opportunity for me to watch my team.  I tried to buy (non season ticket holder) tickets the minute the online sales went live, but couldn't even get the seats I wanted.  People were that quick buying from the outset.  Ended up getting 2 seats in one block and another 3 seats two blocks away.  Better than nothing I guess. 

Prices are steep.  But this is possibly a once a lifetime opportunity for me to watch my team.  I tried to buy (non season ticket holder) tickets the minute the online sales went live, but couldn't even get the seats I wanted.  People were that quick buying from the outset.  Ended up getting 2 seats in one block and another 3 seats two blocks away.  Better than nothing I guess. 

Awesome for you!! Now bring them good luck. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I went ahead and splurged.  The wallet is certainly complaining, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to take ABF Jr to London.  The flight I referenced previously was down to 2 seats and BA wanted $4k round-trip... EACH.... for those seats.  But I was able to grab a pair on the same flight a day earlier for much less.  Make no mistake, it's still a very expensive trip, but the booking now also includes flights between Indy and JFK.  Best of all, they were able to upgrade us to First for ~$75 (for the pair) on the flights between Indy and JFK because the domestic flights (on American) are on an airline partner of the international carrier (British Airways), which means that the entire trip is all on one ticket.  Yes, it's still hella expensive, and nearly double what coach tickets would cost, but frankly it's less than I thought it was going to cost, and for flights included to/from our home airport, with first class service on the entire journey, I'm okay with it.

Edited to add:
* Review: London City Club World, JFK to LCY (includes details of the Club/Spa at JFK)
* Review: London City Club World, LCY to JFK (includes details of going through US Customs in Ireland)

• 2 months later...

If anyone is heading over, you may want to know about this gadget:

31efSZ7hDmL.jpg

This is the SkyRoam Global Portable Hotspot.  It is a small little device that connects to cellular network in over 70 countries and acts like a WiFi hotspot for you to use your phone, tablet, or other connected device.  You can tether up to five devices at a time and get "unlimited" data, though after you hit 350MB of data in a 24 hour period the speed throttles down to 2G.

Cost:  You can rent one for $10 per day + $16 shipping (which includes return shipping), which is great for short one-off trips.  For folks with multiple trips, buying the unit outright is more cost effective.  It's $100 to buy, free shipping, and take $20-30 off if you have a working discount code.  Bought units come with three free 24-hour "Day Passes", while additional passes are $10 each or 5 for $40.  (Note: Because I purchased one I have a referral link that will knock $20 off the price for you and gets me two Day Passes, but if you Google you can probably find a working $30 code.)

This would be great for email, Google Maps, Facebook/Twitter, and general web surfing, but clearly NOT good for streaming Netflix or Pandora.  And it only works when you have a cellular signal, so you're out of luck if you're on an airplane or in the middle of the ocean on a ship, or out in the boonies where there's no signal.  I plan to use it to help me not get lost in London or Paris, or to make WiFi calls home, or post "Here I am at Wembley" photos to make y'all jealous during the game.

Compared to the cost of adding international service to your existing US-based cell phone plan, I'm viewing the cost of this dedicated device as more than reasonable.  And once my trip to Scotland wraps-up in the Spring, I can sell it on eBay and get half of my upfront investment back.

Here's an Amazon link with reviews, but if you want to Rent/Buy I strongly suggest you buy it directly from the vendor's website.  Amazon does their shipping so the unit you get is identical, and the cost is cheaper, especially if you use a discount code.

And it's orange + black.

BTW -  The ProShop has a few "Who Dey in the UK" t-shirts for sale.  The table was right at the front near the registers, they had about 3-4 orange ones and 8-9 black ones.  I snagged one of each for ABF Jr and myself...  can't find a photo of it on the ProShop website, I'll try to remember to snap a photo and post it here tonight.

They're really good looking, weren't terribly expensive (for ProShop prices), and won't become "dated" like a 2015 Division Champions shirt might.

15 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

BTW -  The ProShop has a few "Who Dey in the UK" t-shirts for sale.  The table was right at the front near the registers, they had about 3-4 orange ones and 8-9 black ones.  I snagged one of each for ABF Jr and myself...  can't find a photo of it on the ProShop website, I'll try to remember to snap a photo and post it here tonight.

They're really good looking, weren't terribly expensive (for ProShop prices), and won't become "dated" like a 2015 Division Champions shirt might.

Isn't that a Sex Pistols song?

• 1 month later...

Good question.  The game is 4-5 weeks away, so it's prolly time to start fishing around for pre-game activities.

Here's a "Welcome!" guide posted by the Bengals UK Fan Club....
https://bengalsuk.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/welcome-to-london-a-bengals-uk-guide/

Might be worth an email to touch base with the site owner to see if any formal activities are being arranged.

Update:  I've contacted the UK-based group, and they're beginning to post info about pre-game festivities now.  Just announced today is the Bengals "home" pub, which will be the go-to place for Friday and Saturday evening.  The Admiralty, 66 Trafalgar Square WC2N 5DS (1 block from Charing Cross Underground - on the Bakerloo and the Northern Line).

Details posted in the main Bengals-London thread.

Just announced a few minutes ago....

Untitled.png

The official Bengals pub in London is The Admiralty.

http://www.admiraltytrafalgar.co.uk/

https://t.co/V2XvArjaxb

Address: The Admiralty. 66 Trafalgar Square. London. WC2N 5DS.
Manager: Chris Hubbard.
Tel: 0207 930 0066

Nearest Tube Station: Charing Cross (on both the Bakerloo and Northern Lines)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d7187050-Reviews-The_Admiralty-London_England.htmla-warm-welcome-awaits.jpg

Here's the "Official" word from Bengals.com regarding the London itinerary:

whodeyuk-header.jpg

http://www.bengals.com/tickets/london.html

Daily Activities:

Bengals Pub: The Admiralty (see post above)

NFL House (Daily 11am - Midnight)
NFL House is a unique fan experience located in Central London. Fans will get a chance to see the NFL like never before, with a 360 NFL experience including a showcase of all 50 Super Bowl Rings and the Vince Lombardi Trophy.
(Address: Victoria House 37-63 Southampton Row, London WC1B 4D, nearest Underground: Holborn)

Special Activities:

Thursday:

NFL House (5 - 8pm)
Join Bengals alumni players Anthony Muñoz and Stanford Jennings for a special appearance with the Ben-Gal cheerleaders. Muñoz an eleven-time NFL Pro Bowl selection, Muñoz is the only Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee in Cincinnati Bengals history. Jennings, a multi-purpose running back and kick returner, was called “Mr. Do It All” by former head coach Sam Wyche.

Friday:

Changing of the Guard (1130am - 1215pm)
Join Bengals fans to see one of London’s most-popular ceremonies where the Old Guard hands over responsibility for protecting Buckingham Palace and St. James's Palace to the New Guard.
(Address: Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA, nearest Underground: Victoria / Green Park / St James Park)

NFL House (Noon - 2pm)
A select group of fans will get to participate in Chalk Talk at the NFL House. Enter to win tickets by downloading the International Series Fan Mobile Pass app and collecting badges to be eligible.
(Address: Victoria House - see above)

Bengals Pub (5 - 10pm)
Join us at the Admiralty from 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. for a pub party you won’t want to miss.  There will be appearances by Who Dey, the Ben-Gals, music, a chance to win Bengals prizes, food and drink for purchase and hundreds of other Bengals fans. 
(Address: The Admiralty - see above)

Saturday:

NFL House (Noon - 2pm) - see Friday
Bengals Pub (5 - 10pm) - see Friday

Sunday:

Official Bengals Pregame Party (10:30am - 12:30pm)
Hosted by a former Bengals player, guests will enjoy a brunch buffet, beer, wine and a Bloody Mary bar. Transportation to and from the game included. For tickets, visit https://www.primesport.com/d/cincinnati-bengals-london.
(Address: Sway Bar, 61-65 Great Queen Street, London WC2B 5BZ, nearest Underground: Holborn)

Primesport is absolutely ripping people off, and that's just the "official" Bengal scalper.  There are hundreds of ticket speculators over in Europe who grabbed-up as many tickets as they could and are asking outrageous prices.  And why not?  Wembley holds something like 87,000 and the suck-ass Jaguars last week SOLD-OUT the joint last week. 

Steve bought 4 near-top-row tickets from the EU version of TicketBastard as soon as they became available last spring.  Face value was GBP45 each (IIRC), total price including more than GBP100 in bullshit nuisance fees, came to well into the hundreds.  Supply < Demand.

17 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Man I'm looking at the price of those tickets. You"all are out of the tax bracket. I'm not worthy emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're going to lose anyway.Marvin's never beaten Jay Gruden.

18 hours ago, RhodeIslandFan said:

Man I'm looking at the price of those tickets. You"all are out of the tax bracket. I'm not worthy emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering our choices for the next presidential election, you might consider saving yourself some money and make your flight one-way.

1/2 :ninja:

14 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Primesport is absolutely ripping people off, and that's just the "official" Bengal scalper.  There are hundreds of ticket speculators over in Europe who grabbed-up as many tickets as they could and are asking outrageous prices.  And why not?  Wembley holds something like 87,000 and the suck-ass Jaguars last week SOLD-OUT the joint last week. 

Steve bought 4 near-top-row tickets from the EU version of TicketBastard as soon as they became available last spring.  Face value was GBP45 each (IIRC), total price including more than GBP100 in bullshit nuisance fees, came to well into the hundreds.  Supply < Demand.

Steve is a damn fool. 

Me and ABF Jr will be stepping off Speedbird Four on Thursday morning two weeks from today.  We're not planning to do a lot of Day One activities, what with the time change and the Red Eye, and with me stupidly having booked us to be on a choo-choo train to Paris at 7-something the next morning - resting will be a priority.  But we might do this:

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:15 PM, AmishBengalFan said:

Thursday:

NFL House (5 - 8pm)
Join Bengals alumni players Anthony Muñoz and Stanford Jennings for a special appearance with the Ben-Gal cheerleaders. Muñoz an eleven-time NFL Pro Bowl selection, Muñoz is the only Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee in Cincinnati Bengals history. Jennings, a multi-purpose running back and kick returner, was called “Mr. Do It All” by former head coach Sam Wyche.

Archived