O-Line Problems -- Coaching, Scheme or Players

What's the issue with our line?  We've got 3 first rounders and 2 fourth rounders I believe and we can't get any push in the run game.  After every run, there are at least two o-linemen in the backfield b/c they've either missed a block or been blown up.  I thought Bodine was the issue, but it seems to be everyone.  We've had good lines before under P. Alexander, we've seen at least 3 of our linemen have good seasons, so I'm starting to think maybe it's the scheme.  I have no idea what the issue is, but it needs to be fixed immediately.  Any thoughts on what the issue is and how it can be fixed this year?

Pay attention to Zampese's playcalling. It's not that hard to blow up the run when you know what gap you have to flood.

I also think it was a big mistake to play them so little in the preseason when you have a Rookie tackle. Especially with NFLPA rules, it's hard to simulate contact in practice. We kept everyone healthy, but also didn't get them ready to be a physical line.

Fisher is apparently our #1 backup at LG... How much did he play that in preseason?

42 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Pay attention to Zampese's playcalling. It's not that hard to blow up the run when you know what gap you have to flood.

I also think it was a big mistake to play them so little in the preseason when you have a Rookie tackle. Especially with NFLPA rules, it's hard to simulate contact in practice. We kept everyone healthy, but also didn't get them ready to be a physical line.

Fisher is apparently our #1 backup at LG... How much did he play that in preseason?

Ced and Fisher were both injured most of the preseason and couldn't play. The disappointing thing has been how bad Zeitler has been so far. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ced and Fisher were both injured most of the preseason and couldn't play. The disappointing thing has been how bad Zeitler has been so far. 

Zeitler is the New Steinbach.  Unfortunately and so far.

However, to be fair, the whole line is underperforming. (duh)

Yeah all the people hyping Zeitler over Decastro were right in their rookie years, but man Zeitler has regressed and Decastro looks good these days.

Bodine and Zeitler imo should get most of the blame....but Ced at RT isn't playing all that well either...but at least with it being his first year as a starter you can understand that.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Zeitler is the New Steinbach.  Unfortunately and so far.

However, to be fair, the whole line is underperforming. (duh)

Don't know about that Steinbach was good here right up until he left.... Zeitler has been getting progressively worse.

58 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Don't know about that Steinbach was good here right up until he left.... Zeitler has been getting progressively worse.

Just to play the other side of the discussion, is it possible Zeitler is being asked to help out Bodine, therefore sacrificing what seems to us to be his blocking responsibility?  (Keep in mind this question is coming from someone, me, who's given up on Bodine even becoming a below average player)

Just now, T-Dub said:

This would also point to coaching IMO.

That's what gets me, Alexander has had some really good lines here, but it's not like we haven't invested in talent, other than Boling (who I think is playing fairly well) and Bodine all of our starting Olinemen are either 1st or 2nd round picks. What does Alexander need to get these guys to be good run blockers?

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

That's what gets me, Alexander has had some really good lines here, but it's not like we haven't invested in talent, other than Boling (who I think is playing fairly well) and Bodine all of our starting Olinemen are either 1st or 2nd round picks. What does Alexander need to get these guys to be good run blockers?

An OC that sees the run game as more than an afterthought would help

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I know you're a run first guy, personally I prefer the pass, but hell just give me a balance between the two.

I am, but really I just want them to not go backwards in short yardage situations.  Not running it is one thing, not being able to run it at all is something worse.

17 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I am, but really I just want them to not go backwards in short yardage situations.  Not running it is one thing, not being able to run it at all is something worse.

You need to be able to get Third and 1.  Consistently.  They can't.  

I don't know schemes and techniques, but I'm pretty sure they change with the times.  Maybe time has passed Mr. Alexander.

11 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

I'm not sure if you noticed, but the last play of the game, they benched Fischer for someone, because of his terrible play and his false start.

Yeah, there was one play where his man beat him off of the line and caused a loss on the play.  I think Westerman was inactive, with all of the draft hype I thought he'd backup both guard positions early in the year.  Guess I was wrong on that one.  I think we have the talent at most positions so I've got to think it's play calling and scheme.  Time for Marv to look at Paul A. and possibly make some changes at the end of the year if things don't change.  Even our pass protection has been below average to this point in the season; it's not just the sacks, it the pressures as well.

5 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

Just to play the other side of the discussion, is it possible Zeitler is being asked to help out Bodine, therefore sacrificing what seems to us to be his blocking responsibility?  (Keep in mind this question is coming from someone, me, who's given up on Bodine even becoming a below average player)

Bodine *and* Ogubuehi... He's got guys going by on either side of him and he's going to try and help. 

4 hours ago, T-Dub said:

This would also point to coaching IMO.

I have said this forever,this whole line is very good at pass blocking,but terrible at run blocking and Jeremy hill knows that and he heisatats when trying to follow a blocker and they are just awlful at run blocking,and it seriously shows and when dallas watches tape of our problems we are going to get killed there and also at the pats,i am picking them to lose both games and I said I thought this team would be a wildcard team just because of our defense.Without hill or gio able to run,,we are going to be toast bigtime.I see no improvement in this line.It is and will be a MAJOR PROBLEM.Hill just cannot find his mojo behind these dudes and he shows how pissed he is when he gets tackled behind the line all the time.Its awlful to watch and I truly believe old marvin will get outcoached in dallas and new England.This will be his last year.time to look for a firery type coach.His way of coaching is wearing on the older players and it shows.Dalton seems to not have the fire he had last year and he depends way too much on green.time to spread it around.You just know both dallas and the pats are going to shut green down.

I would also bring Cody Core in some>he is just as fast as Adam Jones and much stronger.Why not allow him to return punts??Why draft a speedster and not use him.Marvin is just too old school.The guy can play.If our guys by chance win in dallas I will be the first one to eat crow.This team is not the same as last year.something is missing.I do not see the fire on offense ,gotta run the stinkin BALL!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, fortyyearfan said:

I have said this forever,this whole line is very good at pass blocking

Someone posted we're dead last for sacks allowed so IDK if this current OL is very good at anything.  As to the rest of it, I wouldn't go as far as all that.  I expect Dallas & NE to both get plenty of help from the refs, otherwise they're very beatable.  Other than that I have no reason to think Marvin leaves until he's ready. 

14 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Someone posted we're dead last for sacks allowed so IDK if this current OL is very good at anything.  As to the rest of it, I wouldn't go as far as all that.  I expect Dallas & NE to both get plenty of help from the refs, otherwise they're very beatable.  Other than that I have no reason to think Marvin leaves until he's ready. 

Giving up seven sacks in one game doesn't help their stats.  The only place giving up that many sacks in one afternoon is White Castle.

You hear lots of announcements on the PA for #74 (Fisher) reporting as an eligible receiver.  I don't think its that he's there to catch a ball but to line up on the end of a line to help with the blocking i.e. Denver's Miller.

3 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

It's early in the season and after a stretch against 2 good teams and 2 not so good teams the Bengals are 2-2. 

The coaches will get the run game fixed, Dallas defense is not that good and we are due to beat the Pats at home.

I like a lot of what you're saying...digging on it, for sure. 

But, while we may be "due" to beat the Pats, that's gonna be a tough one. I wanna go ahead and predict we are gonna get throttled, that way if something else happens I will be pleasantly surprised. 

What I hang my hat on at this point is our defense is looking up. We *can* throw the ball...and throw it pretty well. Hopefully Boyd continues to improve his routes and they continue to find good ways to use LaFell. Eifert will open the field up even more. 

But, the big if, is run blocking. I just want to see steady improvement on this front. If we can see our offensive line make sustained progress, I'll be pleased. Indeed, as was pointed out earlier, OG and Fish just haven't had a lot of practice and experience yet. Not a particularly good thing for young linemen. This is a good team that has underperformed and faced some rather unnecessary diversity. The Pittsburgh loss puts us in a nice bounce back position. We will beat them at home...and we will beat them in the playoffs.

The art of blocking in this league has been gone for decades. Really since the very early 90's, all it is has been: grab, lean, push...emphasis on grab. If there even is a team which can run block, it is only because one or more linemen can grab and throw the opponent out of the way. Short yardage situations imitate a rugby scrum.

The best way to get past this, is with ultra-quick moves...which is what makes our Geno so important.

Archived