I Am Boycotting NFL and ESPN, Are You?

Rick

I am upset with NFL players not wanting to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance. (Now cheerleaders are joining the protest, too. Gee!)

I am also tired of ESPN pretending they are MSNBC or CNN. I don't need ESPN or Hollywood movie stars to tell me how to think. 

This season, I will boycott ESPN and all NFL games with the exception of the Bengal games. I turn the TV on at kickoff. I don't listen to the pregame or post game hype by ESPN or CBS talking heads.

I get my Bengal news here.

Is anyone else boycotting the NFL, or am I the lone wolf?

I am boycotting beer.. Except Two Hearted Ale (yea..it's my favorite beer).... that's what your protest kinda sounds like to me..

No offense Rick...but if people want to boycott something in this country, it's their right to do it.. including the people you are talking about and you with the NFL/ESPN.

Also, I don't let anyone tell me how to think, I have a mind of my own.. it's all entertainment to me, well except when we lose an then I am not that entertained.

I have no problem with you or how you feel... really (it's your right)... and I don't usually chime in on stuff like this... I am just tired of people being outraged by other people expressing their right to do something...

That's the great thing about the country...we ALL have rights..

That is all..   WHO-DEY!!!!! 

If there is a downturn in NFL viewing, it is because the product is a contrived reality TV show. It has nothing to do with flags, free speech, or Colin Fucking Kaepernick. 

I finally gave up on the NFL last January. As for ESPN and all of the other sycophant networks, they may as well be E! as far as reality is concerned. 

1 hour ago, fluhartz said:

I am boycotting beer.. Except Two Hearted Ale (yea..it's my favorite beer).... that's what your protest kinda sounds like to me..

[snip]

That is all..   WHO-DEY!!!!! 

FUCK YOU I WON'T DRINK WHAT YOU TELL ME!!!  

MOTHERFUCKERRRRRR!

So, Ray Rice beating his wife wasn't enough. Adrian Peterson beating his kid wasn't enough. Mike Vick abusing and killing animals wasn't enough.

Junior Seau shooting himself in the chest to commit suicide because he wanted his brain to be available to study, that didn't move the needle for you at all.

An entire generation of players with broken bodies and clouded minds... You'll still watch that.

No, the last straw for you was a player standing up for a cause he believes in. How dare Kaepernick be mad about something! That makes you mad, and that's OK because why?

People here are being very nice and telling you "You have a right to your opinion" while you sit and say that no one else is allowed to have an opinion other than yours.

Boycott the NFL... You think they're going to miss you when Super Bowl tickets are more desirable and valuable than gold? In fact, if you're going to post this.. drivel, please boycott the NFL.

Also, "I'll only watch Bengal games". Awesome moral stand there bubba. It's just like I boycott Dominoes... I only eat the pizza, I refuse to read the box.

2 hours ago, Rick said:

I am upset with NFL players not wanting to stand during the Pledge of Allegiance. (Now cheerleaders are joining the protest, too. Gee!)

I am also tired of ESPN pretending they are MSNBC or CNN. I don't need ESPN or Hollywood movie stars to tell me how to think. 

This season, I will boycott ESPN and all NFL games with the exception of the Bengal games. I turn the TV on at kickoff. I don't listen to the pregame or post game hype by ESPN or CBS talking heads.

I get my Bengal news here.

Is anyone else boycotting the NFL, or am I the lone wolf?

No your not (ESPN maybe) but you arent going to boycot the NFL....youll be around watching....just watch

Oh and God Bless Kapernick for using his first amendment rights to bring attention to a very real and serious issue. 

Shame some cant get past their own biases to at least listen to why is doing it.

21 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

So, Ray Rice beating his wife wasn't enough. Adrian Peterson beating his kid wasn't enough. Mike Vick abusing and killing animals wasn't enough.

Junior Seau shooting himself in the chest to commit suicide because he wanted his brain to be available to study, that didn't move the needle for you at all.

An entire generation of players with broken bodies and clouded minds... You'll still watch that.

No, the last straw for you was a player standing up for a cause he believes in. How dare Kaepernick be mad about something! That makes you mad, and that's OK because why?

People here are being very nice and telling you "You have a right to your opinion" while you sit and say that no one else is allowed to have an opinion other than yours.

Boycott the NFL... You think they're going to miss you when Super Bowl tickets are more desirable and valuable than gold? In fact, if you're going to post this.. drivel, please boycott the NFL.

Also, "I'll only watch Bengal games". Awesome moral stand there bubba. It's just like I boycott Dominoes... I only eat the pizza, I refuse to read the box.

Yeah, I agree with this. 

If the league was interested in curtailing this issue, which at this point, with more and more players joining in (yep, its evolved into a bonafide movement), they'd simply instruct their commentators to not comment and instruct their production teams to not offer any camera coverage. This matter went from being potentially problematic to being a fantastic civil rights opportunity. The league, by neither discouraging these acts nor otherwise attempting to curtail them, appears to be an open, accepting, and leading platform for this particular movement. What's more American than allowing your employees full access to freedom of expression? Hazarding a guess here, but I'd imagine minorities and whites sympathetic to the motivation of the cause outnumber those who tend to agree with the OP. And, I imagine it's probably not even that close. The league has taken a position that is on the right side of history... and the Constitution.

Sports are yet one more form of theatre. Theatre will entertain...it will also challenge thought at times. If you SINCERELY don't approve, stop watching altogether. Or, just don't tune in for the first two and half minutes of pregame formalities. Play your own anthem in your own living room. Paint your body red, white, and blue, and stand on a twelve foot step ladder. Point is, the several seconds you might see a few fellas kneeling during the anthem are not going to affect your ability to then enjoy a game of football. If they do, you have a whole other set of things to reckon. 

1 minute ago, High School Harry said:

Should this be in the Jesus and Dubya forum?  I think so, anyway.

Can we wait until he replies with something along the lines of "I don't have a problem with Kaepernick, I just don't like hearing the pregame shows talk about it... The media... Blah, blah, blah..."

Because I already have the "So when did your boycott over all of the Pat Tillman puff pieces end?" reply typed and ready to cut and paste. Please? Pretty please?

2 hours ago, Dautcom08 said:

You don't seem to be the only one

NFL viewership trend through Week 4:

National Windows
TNF: -15%
SNF: -13%
MNF: -19%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this was interesting, re: the prime time games.  Not so much TNF because it's always been garbage, but the SNF/MNF games losing viewers.  Maybe they'll start scheduling them based on creating a good matchup instead of market size.  Seems obvious that national interest in a good game would outweigh the bump from pandering to shit teams in major markets but that pretty well describes the NFL's agenda as a whole.

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

If there is a downturn in NFL viewing, it is because the product is a contrived reality TV show. It has nothing to do with flags, free speech, or Colin Fucking Kaepernick. 

I finally gave up on the NFL last January. As for ESPN and all of the other sycophant networks, they may as well be E! as far as reality is concerned. 

Thousands (millions?) of viewers didn't suddenly decide in the first four weeks of the 2016 season that the league is a contrived reality TV show (although I agree that has become that). The drop has been drastic and sudden, so I think those who are drawing a correlation are on to something...

http://www.dailywire.com/news/9704/nfl-ratings-update-heres-what-happens-when-you-james-barrett

People are free to protest whatever they want and to express themselves however they want.  At the same time, the people who support them financially are free to find something else to watch and support.  As the saying goes, we have freedom of speech, but we don't have freedom from the consequences of that speech.

As for me, I'll keep watching the Bengals as long as they're good.  When you've invested 40 years, you don't want to walk away and miss it if/when they finally win something.   I'm done with the rest of the league, other games, pregame shows, postgame shows, ESPN, NFL Network, and all that already.  The league has my attention three hours a week, and that's it (well, plus the five minutes or so a day I spend reading this site).  When this run of success by the Bengals ends and they fall back to mediocrity or worse, I'll likely be done.  Kaepernick and his ilk will not have been the reason, but they will have been a straw on the camel's back.

Other than College Gameday I can't remember the last time I watched anything other than a game on ESPN.  The "personalities" on that network are annoying to me, and it has nothing to do with politics.  Although I don't like that they fired Curt Schilling for expressing his opinion on his own time.

Have any of the Bengals "protested" during the anthem?  I haven't heard anything or seen it when I watched.

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

No your not (ESPN maybe) but you arent going to boycot the NFL....youll be around watching....just watch

Oh and God Bless Kapernick for using his first amendment rights to bring attention to a very real and serious issue. 

Shame some cant get past their own biases to at least listen to why is doing it.

I would hope that God would bless somebody that's less self-serving and misguided. He wants to protest cops, so he is protesting the entire country. His career is over, so he wants attention. And other athletes are following his lead because the media has made it a cool thing to do. 

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

I would hope that God would bless somebody that's less self-serving and misguided. He wants to protest cops, so he is protesting the entire country. His career is over, so he wants attention. And other athletes are following his lead because the media has made it a cool thing to do. 

You know he has donated 1 million to the cause right? Hardly self serving. And taking a knee during the anthem isnt protesting the whole country its suggesting that for some the country isnt treating everyone equal under the law. He's not misguided about that hes right.

9 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Amen!  It amazes me that people are ok watching murderers, wife beaters, etc., but someone speaking out because people like them are being discriminated against and this guy wants to cry and take his ball home? 

My question is this, Rick, do YOU stand every time you hear the national anthem?  When you're at home, at a Super Bowl party or in a bar?  Or do you just do it in a stadium where everyone else does, because everyone else does?

Also, what about this protest don't you like or agree with?

I'll wait...

31 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Totally disagree with this.  How is it misguided?  Since you're so all knowing how should he protest so people start talking about the issue?  I'm sick of people telling others how to protest. First it's "protest in a non-violent way"...then Colin does this and it's..."wait..not that way".  So please, tell us the best way to protest that is non-violent, but doesn't make YOU feel uncomfortable or upset and still generates discussion that hopefully leads to change.

56 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You know he has donated 1 million to the cause right? Hardly self serving. And taking a knee during the anthem isnt protesting the whole country its suggesting that for some the country isnt treating everyone equal under the law. He's not misguided about that hes right.

Have you ever heard of tax write-offs? You are right that nobody is treated equally under the law. But it's more based on class than race. More white people are killed by cops than blacks.

Archived