I Am Boycotting NFL and ESPN, Are You?

Rick

31 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Totally disagree with this.  How is it misguided?  Since you're so all knowing how should he protest so people start talking about the issue?  I'm sick of people telling others how to protest. First it's "protest in a non-violent way"...then Colin does this and it's..."wait..not that way".  So please, tell us the best way to protest that is non-violent, but doesn't make YOU feel uncomfortable or upset and still generates discussion that hopefully leads to change.

I just said it. Protest cops, not the flag. If everybody that thinks that they should protest America because there is an aspect of it that they don't like, everybody would kneel.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

I just said it. Protest cops, not the flag. If everybody that thinks that they should protest America because there is an aspect of it that they don't like, everybody would kneel.

How exactly do you protest cops?

Just now, Hooky said:

It's definitely not by kneeling for the anthem. That hasn't produced anything except people talking about his protest. 

It's also produced conversation around why he's doing it.  I agree more of the focus is unfortunately on the protest instead of the reason for the protest, but it seems to be the most effective protest so far.  I do hear some people in the media and on the news talking about the reason, but to your point they're talking about who's doing it as well.  I don't know what the answer is, but I support what they're trying to do and if a more effective protest evolves I'll be for that as well. 

I will not be boycotting NFL games because someone kneels during the anthem.   There are a plethora of reasons, but the most important is the fact that freedom doesn't need me to stand up for it.   This country and the freedoms it represents are not going to dissolve because someone took a knee.    

8 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

It's also produced conversation around why he's doing it.  I agree more of the focus is unfortunately on the protest instead of the reason for the protest, but it seems to be the most effective protest so far.  I do hear some people in the media and on the news talking about the reason, but to your point they're talking about who's doing it as well.  I don't know what the answer is, but I support what they're trying to do and if a more effective protest evolves I'll be for that as well. 

What are some of the common suggestions for what to do about it? That's how you know if it's effective, that if there are proposed solutions. And I haven't heard any. Not saying that there aren't any, just wondering what you've heard.

Just now, Hooky said:

What are some of the common suggestions for what to do about it? That's how you know if it's effective, that if there are proposed solutions. And I haven't heard any. Not saying that there aren't any, just wondering what you've heard.

So far I think this has been fairly effective at generating conversation.  A lot of people are talking about extra police training and police being more involved in certain communities to rid people of bias.  The sad part is these current generations may not be able to solve this during our lifetimes.  This is something that's going to have to be removed from children K-6.  It's all about how we as a society portray certain individuals whether it's the black guy in the movie, or the large white guy with tattoos, etc.  We all have biases based on what we see on TV, in movies or in real life.  We have biases again people like us and different than us.  So we need to reform our education system so that future generations (hopefully) don't grow up with these biases by doing a better job of exposing people to different cultures.

*I'm multitasking (supposed to be working so sorry if this sounds like rambling, I suck at multitasking)

10 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

I will not be boycotting NFL games because someone kneels during the anthem.   There are a plethora of reasons, but the most important is the fact that freedom doesn't need me to stand up for it.   This country and the freedoms it represents are not going to dissolve because someone took a knee.    

Great point. I don't really care if he stands on his head or goes to take a shit in the middle of it. What bugs me is that he is just doing this to draw attention to himself. This isn't a new cause. Why now? Because his career is over and people wouldn't talk about him otherwise.

3 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

So far I think this has been fairly effective at generating conversation.  A lot of people are talking about extra police training and police being more involved in certain communities to rid people of bias.  The sad part is these current generations may not be able to solve this during our lifetimes.  This is something that's going to have to be removed from children K-6.  It's all about how we as a society portray certain individuals whether it's the black guy in the movie, or the large white guy with tattoos, etc.  We all have biases based on what we see on TV, in movies or in real life.  We have biases again people like us and different than us.  So we need to reform our education system so that future generations (hopefully) don't grow up with these biases by doing a better job of exposing people to different cultures.

*I'm multitasking (supposed to be working so sorry if this sounds like rambling, I suck at multitasking)

Most of those incidents could've been avoided by better choices on both ends. Has there been any suggestions by any of these celebrities on how the victims could've avoided the situation? Since there are plenty of suggestons for increased police training and there's nothing wrong with that.

17 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

Also, you keep talking about bias. There were black cops involved in some of these incidents. You can't just assume that they are racially motivated. It is an unfair assumption.

1 minute ago, Hooky said:

Also, you keep talking about bias. There were black cops involved in some of these incidents. You can't just assume that they are racially motivated. It is an unfair assumption.

Bias happens with everyone, not just against a different race.  Black people have bias vs. one another just like white people have bias against one another.  This is a police/justice system vs. Black people issue 

9 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Most of those incidents could've been avoided by better choices on both ends. Has there been any suggestions by any of these celebrities on how the victims could've avoided the situation? Since there are plenty of suggestons for increased police training and there's nothing wrong with that.

In some of these instances crimes had been committed, but there was clear over reaction on the part of the police.  Tamir Rice (Cleveland) and John Crawford (Dayton) did absolutely NOTHING where they deserved to lose their lives at the hands of a police officer.  Sean Bell -- NOTHING.  Eric Garner shouldn't have been selling loose cigs, but he doesn't deserve to be put in a choke hold and die because he did.

The problem is we see white people commit what most would agree to be worse crimes (shoot up a church (SC) or Mall (Seattle), plant bombs and have a shootout with police, or shoot up a movie theatre) and they all get taken alive.  Whereas Sandra Bland, Alton Sterling and Philando Castle in addition to the few I named about are dead.  Then to make it worse the police are rarely punished in these situations.  I think it's unfair to say black people need to do something differently -- crime is never going to stop, black, white or green people....the problem is black people get longer sentences for committing the same crimes as white people and that's for the ones lucky enough to even make it to a trial.

54 minutes ago, F.Cleveland said:

I think the issue is some of us feel like we don't get the same freedoms, liberties and privilege as others for no other reason than skin color.  So they may not dissolve because someone took a knee, but hopefully they appear because someone took a knee and that started a discussion, that turned into action, that created change.

1 hour ago, Hooky said:

Have you ever heard of tax write-offs? You are right that nobody is treated equally under the law. But it's more based on class than race. More white people are killed by cops than blacks.

Please read this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/?utm_term=.d91936e5a2d3

2 hours ago, Hooky said:

Have you ever heard of tax write-offs? You are right that nobody is treated equally under the law. But it's more based on class than race. More white people are killed by cops than blacks.

This is part of the problem as well, there are too many people not even willing to admit there's a problem.  You're comparing apples and oranges. 

Just now, Hooky said:

They went a long way to spin what they wanted to spin.

Using data is not spin, spin is ignoring data to confirm preconceived biases.

Essentially the argument that police are shooting more white people only hold true because there are more white people in existence, however if one looks at percentages black people are shot at a higher rate than anyone else, which is entirely what the complaints are about.

19 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

This is part of the problem as well, there are too many people not even willing to admit there's a problem.  You're comparing apples and oranges. 

I never said it wasn't a problem. As I said earlier, there are many problems.It's ironic, racist, some might say,  how so many people are only focused on this one, For example, how so many blacks are being killed by other blacks. It's not just ignored, people get really pissed off when this reality is brought up. They're part of the problem that they won't admit that this is a problem.

12 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Using data is not spin, spin is ignoring data to confirm preconceived biases.

Essentially the argument that police are shooting more white people only hold true because there are more white people in existence, however if one looks at percentages black people are shot at a higher rate than anyone else, which is entirely what the complaints are about.

But the number is still higher.

12 minutes ago, Hooky said:

I never said it wasn't a problem. As I said earlier, there are many problems.It's ironic, racist, some might say,  how so many people are only focused on this one, For example, how so many blacks are being killed by other blacks. It's not just ignored, people get really pissed off when this reality is brought up. They're part of the problem that they won't admit that this is a problem.

This statement always amazes me, what does black on black crime have to do with police brutality?

To get into the black on black crime, we also have to acknowledge white on white crime...and I acknowledge that both are an issue.  The bottom line is, people kill who they're around and in America we are still very segregated to an extent.

The reasons people get pissed off when you bring up black on black crime is because it's another way to deflect the issue we're trying to talk about which is police brutality.  If you asked me what I thought about the Bengals season and I kept talking about the Oklahoma Thunder, you'd probably get a little frustrated.  That's a bad example b/c the issue we're talking about, police brutality, is much more severe than sports.  It's very hard to have open dialog when people change the narrative and everyone follows along instead of focusing on the issue. 

All we're saying is, "Treat us fairly," and people respond with response with, "But...".  

There are always people saying what the victim should have done differently.  Look at the black guy in Orlando who was laying on his back with his hands in the air, explaining the situation and STILL got shot!!  He was caring for an autistic patient and somehow he got shot!!

Archived