Serious Question...

If (more like when) the Bengals fail to make the playoffs this year, what happens? Anything? Marvin given an extension? Does he jump ship before it completely sinks? Is he fired and doughboy Guenther takes over? Will Mikey boy stick with the status quo?? 

I'm interested to see what everyone thinks would happen if they miss the playoffs (not should happen mind you, Lewis should have had his ass canned years ago in my opinion).

Nothing happens.  Marvswaggle has another year left after the last (of several) contract extensions so why not stick around and pick up another year's paychecks like he has done for the last decade or so.  Money for nothing.

This is one of those times, and there have been a number of others, where I expect to see the headline "Mike Brown Schedules News Conference For This Afternoon" and warrior.gif

Like HSH has said, Marvin is signed thru the 2017 season and I can't see MB paying Marvin Lewis at least 4.5 million dollars to not coach the Bengals in 2017. He's not going to pay two HC's to do 1 HC's job, plus he's very loyal to Marvin and realizes how much he has changed the culture and expectations of this franchise. 

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Like HSH has said, Marvin is signed thru the 2017 season and I can't see MB paying Marvin Lewis at least 4.5 million dollars to not coach the Bengals in 2017. He's not going to pay two HC's to do 1 HC's job, plus he's very loyal to Marvin and realizes how much he has changed the culture and expectations of this franchise. 

Are NFL HC contracts guaranteed?  Cut a player and you don't owe them shit unless they're injured (or "injured" like Utecht or "injured and unwilling to switch to a safer position" like Pollack)/

Either way I have no reason to believe MB would fire Marvin at this point. 

11 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Status quo, with Marvin potentially making yet another assistant coaching change that throws one or more positions into upheaval.  At least this year nobody will want our coordinators as a head coach, right?  :glare:

If that coach is Paul Alexander, I'm ok with that.  Though I do suspect Marvin has taken the team as far as he can at this point.

Just now, T-Dub said:

If that coach is Paul Alexander, I'm ok with that

Agreed... but we know that won't be it, Alexander has some kind of lifetime contract going.  It's sickening to watch teams like the Pats, Broncos and Texans pass block with clear structure and strategy which nearly ALWAYS results in lots of time for the QB no matter WHO is blocking.  Meanwhile we're using the same tired Paul Alexander methodologies that everybody has figured out by now.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Are NFL HC contracts guaranteed?  Cut a player and you don't owe them shit unless they're injured (or "injured" like Utecht or "injured and unwilling to switch to a safer position" like Pollack)/

Either way I have no reason to believe MB would fire Marvin at this point. 

Yes, all the money is paid to them regardless if they are coaching or not. It's why you hear often of coaches who were just let go but go on with another team as their head coach making silly money since they are double dipping

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yes, all the money is paid to them regardless if they are coaching or not. It's why you hear often of coaches who were just let go but go on with another team as their head coach making silly money since they are double dipping

Bizarre that they would do that for coaches but not players.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Bizarre that they would do that for coaches but not players.

They do do it for players too. At least in guaranteed money, if a player gets cut he still keeps any guaranteed money in his contract when he signs a new one, it's why you often hear of players restructuring their contracts to help their new team.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

They do do it for players too. At least in guaranteed money, if a player gets cut he still keeps any guaranteed money in his contract when he signs a new one, it's why you often hear of players restructuring their contracts to help their new team.

OK, that makes sense with all the roster bonuses & other escalators. 

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Wasn't Huey some sort of K-Mart Blue Light Special because he was still getting bucks from Oakland?

42 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Wasn't Huey some sort of K-Mart Blue Light Special because he was still getting bucks from Oakland?

Yep. Hue was making HC money from his time in Oakland, alongside the money we paid him for being a position coach here. (Not sure how many years he had left on his Oak contract when we hired him, but I know it was at least one.)

• 1 month later...

Their out of the playoffs just about for sure now.....

Marvin steps down. Hell of a football coach. He turned around one of the top three all time worst major sports pro teams. He took on and was able to successfully do what many others were afraid to even try. Coach Lewis might not have been good enough to win a championship with the Bad News Bears but he did a hell of a job whipping them in shape and turning them into a legitimate contenders year after year. That is really something to hang a hat on and should be no shame. 

All that said did you hear the interview with Tom Coughlin during the game? He said he is just waiting on the right oppurtunity with the right team. This team has good players they just need someone like Coughlin to come in and whip their ass in shape. Where Marvin treats his guys as Pros which unfortunately hasn't worked because these guys need a A hole like Coughlin in their shit at all times. When Dre continually F's up, when Pacman gets confused on converage when Dalton throws that pick late in the fourth they need someone on that sideline up in their shit  letting them know that shit aint going to fucking fly around here.  

3 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

Their out of the playoffs just about for sure now.....

Not even close. 1.5 games back from the rats and we still play them twice and they play the cowturds this week. 

Half a game behind the stealers, so anything can happen there. Depends on how many more times Jen dies this season and comes back.

Problem is that we are very mediocre and if we beat out the other two mediocre teams in the division, both playoff streaks will probably stay alive as we play a good team in the playoffs and lose.

3 hours ago, Catfish Bob said:

When Dre continually F's up, when Pacman gets confused on converage when Dalton throws that pick late in the fourth they need someone on that sideline up in their shit  letting them know that shit aint going to fucking fly around here.  

Talking tough is great, but when the replacement is Denard, well....that will get you fired, too.

Archived