I looked for him specifically today and here is what I notice:

jeremy Hill is awesome when he is in the game.  

The Bengals coaching staff talks about nailing stuff, chopping stuff, and all kinds of other manly crap and when they run the ball with any success they immediately want to show how smart they are and go away from it.

the Stealers will just keep taking 7 yards a carry until you stop it.

this team has no identity and is terrible.  

I've been asking every week, Where the fuck is Hewitt? Gave him an extension in the off season and he sees 10 snaps a game if he's lucky. At first I thought maybe they were saving him in case they lost another tight end but Eifert is back now and still hardly any sign of Hewitt.  

9 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

The answer is unfortunate but simple. It's because the offensive line is so garbage. The Bengals have to use a blocking TE instead of an H-Back to compensate for how terrible the line is.

This.

Someone wrote about this recently, and wrote about it rather well. An H-back/fullback has significantly less value when your offensive line is blown up into the backfield consistently, essentially there is no room for that positional guy to get his work done.

also our QB is DEAD LAST IN THE NFL at taking sacks when pressured... instead of throwing the ball away/avoiding the sack.

oogieboogie is sucking up hard core... wonder why... was touted highly in college... injury broke him forever? doesnt care now that he is paid? coaching?

On 10/30/2016 at 2:09 PM, mgbrown66 said:

I looked for him specifically today and here is what I notice:

jeremy Hill is awesome when he is in the game.  

The Bengals coaching staff talks about nailing stuff, chopping stuff, and all kinds of other manly crap and when they run the ball with any success they immediately want to show how smart they are and go away from it.

the Stealers will just keep taking 7 yards a carry until you stop it.

this team has no identity and is terrible.  

Morgan-Freeman-quoted-somewhat-out-of-co

Not buying the "but the OL sucks!" argument.  I mean, yes they do pretty much suck ass..  So the answer is to ask them to pass block instead? Er.. Better the RB takes the hit than the QB.

19 hours ago, GoBengals said:

also our QB is DEAD LAST IN THE NFL at taking sacks when pressured... instead of throwing the ball away/avoiding the sack.

oogieboogie is sucking up hard core... wonder why... was touted highly in college... injury broke him forever? doesnt care now that he is paid? coaching?

I actively watch him.  I played OLine in college so I like to think I know a little bit of what I am talking about here, but I want to stress that this is my opinion:

He has great feet and that is visible on tape, but he is soft.  His single biggest problem is that he currently cannot stop a bull rush, and that sets him up for failure. 

That is so much easier said than done.  It only take a couple of times of being driven straight into the qb to lose your confidence.  Once it happens, you will lunge to punch and stop the momentum of the defensive player, leaving you off balance and susceptible to a speed rush.

He needs to get stronger, and meaner.  I personally feel he is Melvin Tuten 2.0, and you cannot teach nasty.  You either have it or you don't.

31 minutes ago, mgbrown66 said:

He needs to get stronger, and meaner.  I personally feel he is Melvin Tuten 2.0, and you cannot teach nasty.  You either have it or you don't.

As an aside, this is why I think Margus will never be more than an OK rotation guy.  Well, that and being matched up against dudes who have been playing since they were kids.  He's having to think about stuff that is straight muscle memory & instinct for others.

3 hours ago, mgbrown66 said:

I actively watch him.  I played OLine in college so I like to think I know a little bit of what I am talking about here, but I want to stress that this is my opinion:

He has great feet and that is visible on tape, but he is soft.  His single biggest problem is that he currently cannot stop a bull rush, and that sets him up for failure. 

That is so much easier said than done.  It only take a couple of times of being driven straight into the qb to lose your confidence.  Once it happens, you will lunge to punch and stop the momentum of the defensive player, leaving you off balance and susceptible to a speed rush.

This was basically his scouting report coming out of college in a nutshell. Good feet but lack of power, technique and a mean streak. It's WAY early to start writing this kid off but, so far the body of work has been concerning. Good news is...Paul Alexander is here to coach him up.

Archived