How in the world does this team get fixed?

Barring an absolute miracle, this clunker of a team is what we are stuck with for the rest of the season.

even if they somehow come to their senses and finally remove Marvin in the offseason, years worth of mediocre drafting has left a severe talent vacuum on the field. OLine sucks. DLine sucks, even with Dunlap (Atkins is a shell of his former self), linebackers suck, DBs mainly suck.

tons of holes to fill.

what do you think is the path to fielding a winning team next year? How do they possibly plug all of these holes?

Think the biggest issue is inability to get to the quarterback. The offensive line has obviously been an issue but it feels like they are coming around in both the run game and pass pro. They literally just aren't getting to the quarterback with the front four. When they didn't blitz today they got picked apart. Most of the time when they blitzed they weren't getting home. Not only is Mike Johnson not doing anything, Geno hasn't been much better. 

22 minutes ago, whodey? said:

Replace Marvin

As a matter of fact it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they fired him today.

At least let the man ride the team plane home lol. On the other hand, that'd be pretty hilarious firing him now and making him book his own flight.

2 hours ago, Griever said:

At least let the man ride the team plane home lol. On the other hand, that'd be pretty hilarious firing him now and making him book his own flight.

He would probably be late and miss it.

btw... Paul Brown once fired a player (kicker) in the plane on the way home and fired our own Mad Squirrel's (Kelly Washington) father for showing up drunk at the airport.  Both pre season.

OK. In the space of 11short months, they have gone from "talent laden" to "suck"...without losing (appreciably) one person. And I don't buy totally, the "coaching" thing either. Vance Joseph and Hue were not divine spirits. And proven coaches replaced the departures. 

I recall seeing people here writing months ago, that there "might" be a growing pains season--although the veterans would be questionable as being involved--with all of the changes in the off season. Is this just "one of those years"?

There is still a very good core of players on this team. Change out the coaches....does that really help, or just set back further? One never knows. It certainly isn't "stay the course" any longer, but I also don't see "blowing up" as the answer either.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

OK. In the space of 11short months, they have gone from "talent laden" to "suck"...without losing (appreciably) one person. And I don't buy totally, the "coaching" thing either. Vance Joseph and Hue were not divine spirits. And proven coaches replaced the departures. 

I recall seeing people here writing months ago, that there "might" be a growing pains season--although the veterans would be questionable as being involved--with all of the changes in the off season. Is this just "one of those years"?

There is still a very good core of players on this team. Change out the coaches....does that really help, or just set back further? One never knows. It certainly isn't "stay the course" any longer, but I also don't see "blowing up" as the answer either.

Personally, I have never bought into the "talent laden" label nearly as much as some others have. If the team were so talent laden, they would have been a dominant force for years. They havent been. Theyve been pretty good, but not dominant.

The team overall doesnt suck like the Browns, but the offensive line and defensive line are both pretty horrible, despite having at least one top notch player at crucial positions on both. Linebackers do in fact suck though, and the secondary isnt much better, realistically.

There is a void of talent in these important player groups, and no one waiting in the wings to take over... and even if there were younger players waiting in the wings, this coaching staff would refuse to play them until they only have one year left on their rookie contracts anyway.

I didnt make the initial post to dig on the team, I sincerely want to know- how in the world does this team get better by next season? It seems like an exercise in futility at this point.

I don't think WR is the problem.

Missing Eifert was huge.

Offense will be fine.

Its the D Line that's killing us.

Normally we would get pressure from out front four and have the LBs and DBs wreck havoc.

With no pressure, its limits us on what we can do scheme wise.

Dansby trying to cover anyone is a liability.

I would say he is worse than Maualuga in coverage.

Adam Jones doesn't have the speed anymore.

Its' a host of issues, but most of them are on the defense

Here's a question...isn't the majority of Marvin Lewis's coaching background linebackers?

Marvin Lewis Drafted Linebackers
Nick Vigil
PJ Dawson
Marquis Flowers
Seam Porter
Dontay Moch
Rodderick Muckelroy
Rey Maualuga
Keith Rivers
AJ "Taser Tits" Nicholson
Odell Thurman
Caleb Miller
Landon Johnson
Khalid Abdullah
Ahmad Brooks

Marvin Lewis Free Agent Linebackers
Karlos Dansby
AJ Hawk
James Harrison
Manny Lawson
Thomas Howard
Darryl Blackstock
Dhani Jones
Roy Manning
Brandon Johnson
Anthony Schlegel
Edgerton Hartwell
Rashad Jeanty
Hannibal Navies
Nate Webster
Kevin Hardy
Chris Carter
Nico Johnson
Michael Boley
Abdul Hodge

2 hours ago, big_dish said:

Personally, I have never bought into the "talent laden" label nearly as much as some others have. If the team were so talent laden, they would have been a dominant force for years. They havent been. Theyve been pretty good, but not dominant.

The team overall doesnt suck like the Browns, but the offensive line and defensive line are both pretty horrible, despite having at least one top notch player at crucial positions on both. Linebackers do in fact suck though, and the secondary isnt much better, realistically.

There is a void of talent in these important player groups, and no one waiting in the wings to take over... and even if there were younger players waiting in the wings, this coaching staff would refuse to play them until they only have one year left on their rookie contracts anyway.

I didnt make the initial post to dig on the team, I sincerely want to know- how in the world does this team get better by next season? It seems like an exercise in futility at this point.

And yet, with half the season over, they are still only a half game out of first. Short term, the Rats and Stealers are eminently catchable. It is a strange game. Guess I will just watch this year, and concern myself with next year next year.

The margin of victory and defeat for the majority of the teams in the NFL is very narrow. I'm not qualified to evaluate football talent, but by all accounts the Bengals are one of the better teams talent wise. So what separates mostly equally talented teams from one another? The answer to me is the coaching, game planning, and game management. Love him or hate him, Belichick is one of the best in the last 20 years. I think the current coachinging staff is below average. I credit Marvin as a GM for putting together a talented roster, but I'm sick and tired of being out schemed and out managed most games.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

The margin of victory and defeat for the majority of the teams in the NFL is very narrow. 

I always hear Marvin talk about how hard it is to win a football game in the NFL.

If it is so hard to win in the NFL, how is it half the league manages to do it every week?   ;)   

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

The margin of victory and defeat for the majority of the teams in the NFL is very narrow. I'm not qualified to evaluate football talent, but by all accounts the Bengals are one of the better teams talent wise. So what separates mostly equally talented teams from one another? The answer to me is the coaching, game planning, and game management. Love him or hate him, Belichick is one of the best in the last 20 years. I think the current coachinging staff is below average. I credit Marvin as a GM for putting together a talented roster, but I'm sick and tired of being out schemed and out managed most games.

QFT. We lack discipline, and that is directly tied to coaching. Which of course is why we should bring in Josh Gordon. More talent, a few amazing plays, and additional penalties and suspensions. It'd be great!

4 hours ago, mgbrown66 said:

I always hear Marvin talk about how hard it is to win a football game in the NFL.

If it is so hard to win in the NFL, how is it half the league manages to do it every week?   ;)   

It's hard to win when you don't override or question your coordinators on bad schemes/playcalls, or when you call bizarre/useless timeouts, or when you throw the challenge flag on stupid shit, don't get your offense into "we gotta go" mode until the last few plays of a half to score and allow the inmates to run the fucking asylum. Oh, and get all conservative and play not to lose with a narrow lead.

Marvin Ball.

Every member of the Bengals is going to have to wake up and want it more than the opponent. I'm not seeing enough fire/heart out of this team. When they start to want to win more than the other team then they probably will. Until then we get what we got this week a bunch of half ass mistakes that cost them the game when it was right there in front for them to take multiple times. If they were playing their hearts out every play their would be no half ass mistakes. They would've blown out the Stealers in Pittsburgh, they would've ran with the Pats till the end and this team playing at 100% willpower does not get embarrassed in Dallas.
 Do they want to show up every week and play ball or do they want to win every game like its going to be their last.

better players would probably take care of it.

1. draft eddie jackson in the offseason

2. release dansby and play Vigil, Promote Dawson back to 53 man

3. Trade dalton and start mccarron.

4. win a playoff game before the defense falls apart completely and we are forced into rebuild mode.

8 minutes ago, GoBengals said:

better players would probably take care of it.

1. draft eddie jackson in the offseason

2. release dansby and play Vigil, Promote Dawson back to 53 man

3. Trade dalton and start mccarron.

4. win a playoff game before the defense falls apart completely and we are forced into rebuild mode.

1.  I don't follow college much, but he's injured right?  So I assume it's not a threatening in future type injury?

2.  I'm okay with that

3.  Laughable, yet consistent...'nuff said

4.  But, but, but...we're already in rebuild mode   :)

I still think something more fundamental needs to change besides just a couple players...hopefully I'm wrong.  It sure seems like players just aren't buying in anymore as seen by lack of confidence, confusion, finger pointing, etc, which seems to be occurring more this year.  I know that's also self-perpetuating with frustrations over losing too, so it's hard to say.

Norv Turner anyone?  :)

1 minute ago, esjbh2 said:

1.  I don't follow college much, but he's injured right?  So I assume it's not a threatening in future type injury?

2.  I'm okay with that

3.  Laughable, yet consistent...'nuff said

4.  But, but, but...we're already in rebuild mode   :)

I still think something more fundamental needs to change besides just a couple players...hopefully I'm wrong.  It sure seems like players just aren't buying in anymore as seen by lack of confidence, confusion, finger pointing, etc, which seems to be occurring more this year.  I know that's also self-perpetuating with frustrations over losing too, so it's hard to say.

Norv Turner anyone?  :)

i think the team attitude is worse, but i think its the build up, we truly won that palyoff game and got consistantly fucked, the bryant TD, porter on the field, someone how pacman getting a penalty for porter being on the field. etc.. to walk away from that WIN and get a LOSS ANNNNDDD get all of the blame for the loss as our own players fault. for a day or two they mentioned the td shouldnt ahve counted, porter ont he field, and the cach pulling our players hair, etc.. then it all fades away and its just pacman and burfict meltdown... and thats not how it happened.. thats devisstating to a teams moral and psyche.

shit thats how i lost my job, "the shit i got fired for didnt even happen, the dude who caused it all got no blame, and then blamed me for his own failures after i left, buying himself 6 more months of working there. "  its like a sports to real life conversion... so fucked up... 

winning the first playoff game in 20+ years, getting fucked, getting a loss for getting fucked, and getting blamed for getting fucked...

then to come back and make mistakes on defense, the offense was shit, offense averaging 18 points per game after 6 weeks, before we got the blessing of the browns and redskins where cleveland AVERAGES giving up 30 ppg, 

we are tied for 18th-23rd is passing TD's.... and 16 teams have already had bye weeks. hell there are teams who have played less games, and have twice as many passing TD's... 

#laughable indeed.

Archived