My Defense perspective and questions...

While I agree the loss of Nelson has hurt, Dansby isn't any worse that what we had back there the last couple seasons.  Who was the great cover LB last year?

Everyone looks worse in coverage when there is no consistent pass rush.  Guenther responds by blitzing more which further exposes the coverage when the blitzes still don't get there.  Legitimate NFL QBs will eat any defensive backfield alive if there isn't a pass rush and the Bengals aren't getting squat for a pass rush.

On 03/11/2016 at 10:53 AM, T-Dub said:

Obvious problem with that line of thinking being that the rest of the league (barring a few exceptions) haven't been sitting on their hands to accommodate our status quo. The teams in our division in particular are going to find it much easier to defend last year's playbook.  Except Cleveland because Cleveland.

Zampese has been getting better at the situational calls but still strikes me as too finesse-oriented and simply lost when games get down to the blood & guts. Of course when you're losing at the LOS this badly the offense is going to struggle. Not much he can do about an overrated OL.

Guenther may understand Zimmer's scheme but has been blitzing too much.  Plus from what I understand, Coyle doesn't coach the DB's in the same style of aggressive press coverage that were crucial to that defense.  Either that or the guys we drafted to play that style aren't actually capable of doing so at this level.  Beyond that, Guenther's defense is woefully undisciplined and unmotivated.  Any schmuck can call plays and give up 30pts a game.

What gets me is why would Coyle coach the secondary differently to Carrier did? I thought the style of coaching taught to our DB's was down to the scheme and the philospohy of the D-coordinator rather the position coach.

Archived