Defense considering personnel changes

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Defense-considering-personnel-changes/690641b1-66c0-40a5-8147-b2aa3e47b221

After a month his offense gave up an average of more than 400 yards, Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther headed into the bye week Tuesday saying he’s considering shaking up a lineup that hasn’t produced like the recent seasons.

“We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time,” Guenther said. “But it’s like I told them, it’s a production business. Even though you’ve been kind of a guy that’s been around here and I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that.”

This is a proud defense not used to these 2016 numbers. As recently as three years ago it was ranked third and last year they broke the franchise’s scoring while finishing second in the NFL. But they go into the bye ranked 24th in defense, tied for 19th in scoring and are on pace to give up 99 more points than last year.

20 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Defense-considering-personnel-changes/690641b1-66c0-40a5-8147-b2aa3e47b221

After a month his offense gave up an average of more than 400 yards, Bengals defensive coordinator Paul Guenther headed into the bye week Tuesday saying he’s considering shaking up a lineup that hasn’t produced like the recent seasons.

“We have a lot of guys here who have been fixtures in our system for a long time,” Guenther said. “But it’s like I told them, it’s a production business. Even though you’ve been kind of a guy that’s been around here and I think there is a younger player or somebody else that can do it better at this point, whether it be for 15 snaps, I have to look at that.”

This is a proud defense not used to these 2016 numbers. As recently as three years ago it was ranked third and last year they broke the franchise’s scoring while finishing second in the NFL. But they go into the bye ranked 24th in defense, tied for 19th in scoring and are on pace to give up 99 more points than last year.

So maybe the problem is that Guenther thinks he's supposed to be coaching the offense???  That would explain a lot actually!  :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

31 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So my guess on this is Denard gets the promotion and Pacman starts in the Slot again since he's talking about guys that have been here a while not playing like they should be

Possibly, but i think the secondary doesn't change.

I think that was a direct hit on MJ90, I think he's about to get yanked for Clarke.

I also think Williams take some Peko time away.

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

Thanks for posting.  OT but another thread mentioned Arkansas bailed on this board and posting articles because of the negative reception.  I know I once ripped an article and he thought I was ripping him.  I can see the misunderstanding and apologized.  Would like to see him and a lot of the others back.  I don't understand where they're coming from leaving the board.  If you don't care for a thread or think it inane, simply skip it or post something thought to be more relevant.  I even miss the Harry Haters™ and their comments.  Funny as hell, me thinks.

Back to the thread.. 

22 minutes ago, turningpoint said:

Possibly, but i think the secondary doesn't change.

I think that was a direct hit on MJ90, I think he's about to get yanked for Clarke.

I also think Williams take some Peko time away.

Those would be my likely candidates, too.  Peko, Johnson, more Dennard and Shaw, and Maualuga seeing less time.  Maybe time to see if P.J. Dawson is ready for the big boy pants.

It may be that he wants to get back to true rotations...especially along the line. Seems he is a lot more situational with the subs than trying to just work them into the flow. Like keeping Peko in on 2nd and longs--even though the guy has played two straight series. Keep the guys fresher. 

And, enough of the blitzing--it doesn't work when it is seen every throwing down. 

Did see improvement on the run defense...a better flow to the ball--no thanks to Dansby, who always overruns and arm tackles.

20 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

Those would be my likely candidates, too.  Peko, Johnson, more Dennard and Shaw, and Maualuga seeing less time.  Maybe time to see if P.J. Dawson is ready for the big boy pants.

Dawson isnt on the active roster... thatd be one hell of a promotion...

PS to starter...

id prefer vigil over dansby for sure...

If I had to guess I think you will see Chunk looking at Josh Shaw, Will Clarke and Vinnie Rey playing more. I don't see anything as radical as Nick Vigil going from 11 defensive snaps in 8 games going to  a starting role. I'm not saying I don't think it should be looked at but, I just don't see the Bengals making that bold of a move.

The four players who have seen the most snaps this year on defense are the secondary starters. In my opinion Kirkpatrick and Williams are terrible and Iloka looks lost without Nelson. The pass defense currently ranks 21st and have been susceptible to big pass plays of 20+ yards. You either have to shake up this unit of find a way to get to the QB to help them.

From what I have seen, Shaw has been our best CB and needs to start. It seems as though Williams has been the weak spot at safety and I'd replace him with Smith. And as much as I like MJ the person I think it's time that he becomes the rotational guy and Clarke or Hunt should start over him. Bench Dansby for Vigil and hope he has learned the scheme well enough not to be out of position so much that it negates his athleticism. 

As far as shaking up defenses, the Browns traded a compensatory third round pick for Jamie Collins from the Patriots (note... I didn't think you could trade compensatory picks).

Collins... "Collins was arguably the Patriots’ best defender, starring as a do-it-all player with unworldly talent as a coverage linebacker, pass rusher and run stuffer. He’s the type of athlete who can play about seven different positions on defense, and the Patriots used his versatility to extrapolate the most talent they could from the stud linebacker."

http://nypost.com/2016/11/01/patriots-trade-shock-rationale-was-ignoring-belichicks-orders/

Yeah, near the end of his contract and yeah, he would be expensive to keep but perhaps worth it and affordable with some cost cutting by cutting Maualuga (who ain't worth it), Peko's gone and we have Jackson III and Billings on IR coming back etc.  Imagine Collins and Burfict in the same linebacking corps behind Geno and Dunlap.

But... pffffttt... a fart in the wind because it ain't gonna happen but kind of shitty when a team like the Browns is actually proactive and does something about upgrading in the middle of a lost and hopeless season while we stand pat.  Also, think of that guy against Jethro and the Burdinettes later this season.

I know Charlie don't surf and the Bengals don't trade especially in the middle of the season but somethings ya' gotta wonder.

Although it didn't get much media attention, Marvin did bring in many free agents on Wednesday looking for upgrades at virtually every position.  Here are some pics:

http://www.wcpo.com/news/news-photo-gallery/check-out-marvin-lewis-newest-football-prodigies

Pic #22 looks like a significant upgrade at the #2 WR position.

11 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Although it didn't get much media attention, Marvin did bring in many free agents on Wednesday looking for upgrades at virtually every position.  Here are some pics:

http://www.wcpo.com/news/news-photo-gallery/check-out-marvin-lewis-newest-football-prodigies

WCPO_Lewis21_1478174771655_49089709_ver1.0_640_480.jpeg

3 hours ago, esjbh2 said:

ML always has given back to the community. The way he is shit on, I always wonder why.

8 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

ML always has given back to the community. The way he is shit on, I always wonder why.

Income tax deductions.  A lot of players and other celebs set up charitable organizations in their names.  They sometimes roll a list on the scoreboard before games.  I think community service is part of a number of players' contracts thus why they show up serving Thanksgiving dinners to the needy, at the Freestore Food Bank and hospital visits.

NO :ph34r:

HOWEVER, Marvin et al all deserve credit for the good they do no matter what.  That is what is most important.

Archived