Bengals sign Gilberry

19 minutes ago, Madieu Superstar said:

I just hate everything about this team at this point. They refuse to bring in ANYONE different. Gilberrry has been one of the worst D-Linemen in the league over the last few years. In addition, he's another player who was out of control on the field at various times last year. What good can come from bringing him back?

It's week 8, the season is halfway over. Anyone they bring in now who hasnt played here before would have to learn the system. 

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It's week 8, the season is halfway over. Anyone they bring in now who hasnt played here before would have to learn the system. 

He has 3.5 sacks in his past 38 games played. He's not better than ANYONE we currently have. Furthermore no other team wanted him. 

If learning the system is so important, then why did Gilberry's best play with the Bengals come when he was signed mid-year?

9 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Yeah I have to wonder if they're looking for a situational pass rush guy why knowledge of the playbook would be an issue

Only way this makes sense to me is if he's now the situational DT pass rusher and Clarke/Hunt are now on the outside with MJ on the bench.

12 minutes ago, Dautcom08 said:

Only way this makes sense to me is if he's now the situational DT pass rusher and Clarke/Hunt are now on the outside with MJ on the bench.

This is my thought. This is where he was most effective with the Bengals. I was a big Wallace Gilberry fan coming out of college and wanted the Bengals to draft him in the late rounds that year. I was thrilled when he came to the team from the Chiefs. But at 31 and well removed from productive play...the pick-up is still a head scratcher. It's gotta be solely for the reason above and/or there's an injury we aren't aware of on the defensive line and he's going to be rotational.

The Bengals do love their boomerang players though...Fat Pat, MJ93 and now, Wallace Giggleberry.

I don't see what the big deal is. They made a move. Sure, I would love for them to trade for some big name bad ass, but you guys know that they would never do that mid-season or actually hardly ever in the off-season. Accept it.

20 hours ago, High School Harry said:

The Browns trade a 3rd round pick for an all pro linebacker and we bring back some chump change defensive lineman we cut once.  Pathetic.  Hate to say it, but which team looks like it wants to win and which looks like it wants to stand pat and regress.

The Browns are $50 million under the cap and want to give that guy 12 million a year.  If he doesn't sign long term, they get back a 4th round pick.

Would of preferred some secondary help but there's probably not much out there at this point. Anyone read anything about Jackson if it's looking good for him to come back this season or not? 

Hope Gilberry can be gap disciplined, set the edge and get more pressure on the qb than Johnson has this year which shouldn't be a difficult thing to do. Idk what's up with Johnson this year. He was never amazing but was solid. Not even tipping a lot of passes this year like he used to or getting any pressure. Particularly against Stealers it always seemed he was in dickheads face alot. Doesn't play the run well or with discipline like he used to either. He's fallen off quickly.

Archived