Whoever wins tonight...

Jason

2 hours ago, cnbengal said:

it's been shown in all the media outlets that more than half the us population is on some form of government assistance (handout), not just welfare.  I'll bet in whatever field that you work in you've seen a significant drop off in work ethic from as little as 10 years ago. The number of adult males age 18 to 30 that still live at home and don't work a full time job is jaw dropping.

Do you have an actual source to back that up? because it smells like bs

Would you consider VA benefits a "handout"?  What about assistance to the elderly? Funding for orphans? Caring for the mentally ill?  Bailing out banks and auto makers to the tune of billions? Can't help but notice how in all the complaints about welfare and freeloaders it's the keeping ppl from starving part everyone has a problem with.  Never any mention of the much more costly and questionable corporate welfare.  Why is that I wonder? It's almost as if those same corporations have convinced people to blame anyone not as well off as themselves for why they aren't richer.  Rip off millions and you're a role model, take 100 bucks in food stamps to feed your family and you're the scum of the Earth.  What shitty, spiteful, selfish people we've become.

8 hours ago, cnbengal said:

it's been shown in all the media outlets that more than half the us population is on some form of government assistance (handout), not just welfare.  I'll bet in whatever field that you work in you've seen a significant drop off in work ethic from as little as 10 years ago. The number of adult males age 18 to 30 that still live at home and don't work a full time job is jaw dropping.

Productivity is the word you are looking for and we can actually measure that.....

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-states/productivity

In the past 10 years it has gone up

You see this is the problem with you conservatives, you tell you tell yourselves fairy tales so that you dont have to think about anyone on a lower class rung than you might be doing and why. It's better to look down on them and make things up about them because God forbid any of your tax dollars go to them....even if it is a small piece of the pie.

You wanna get mad about where your tax dollars go? Look at the military budget....but you conservatives never touch that sacred cow

6 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Do you have an actual source to back that up? because it smells like bs

Would you consider VA benefits a "handout"?  What about assistance to the elderly? Funding for orphans? Caring for the mentally ill?  Bailing out banks and auto makers to the tune of billions? Can't help but notice how in all the complaints about welfare and freeloaders it's the keeping ppl from starving part everyone has a problem with.  Never any mention of the much more costly and questionable corporate welfare.  Why is that I wonder? It's almost as if those same corporations have convinced people to blame anyone not as well off as themselves for why they aren't richer.  Rip off millions and you're a role model, take 100 bucks in food stamps to feed your family and you're the scum of the Earth.  What shitty, spiteful, selfish people we've become.

I'd bet he cant back that up, I mean he made up the idea that productivity has gone down, when it's done the exact opposite. 

No Jamie, work ethic not productivity. You are correct productivity has gone up by those whom are working, I'm talking about those who don't. There is an increasing number of able-bodied people in this country that for one reason or another are not part of the working class. It was reported during the election coverage the other night either on ABC or CBS that showed adult males between the ages of 18 and 29 that 2 out of 6 are still living at home either unemployed or part time employed on government assistance. (Not unemployment benefits) those are the ones I'm talking about.  

No T-Dub I don't consider VA benefits or unemployment benefits for that matter as welfare, those are BENEFITS that people have earned. I'm all for assistance for the mentally ill and orphans and programs like that, but I do not like the government handouts like the banking bailout our the GMC bailout. I just don't think the government should take care of you when you have the ability to do it yourself, you know " work for a living". And before you assume, no I'm not wealthy I'm firmly in the middle class.

2 hours ago, cnbengal said:

No Jamie, work ethic not productivity. You are correct productivity has gone up by those whom are working, I'm talking about those who don't. There is an increasing number of able-bodied people in this country that for one reason or another are not part of the working class. It was reported during the election coverage the other night either on ABC or CBS that showed adult males between the ages of 18 and 29 that 2 out of 6 are still living at home either unemployed or part time employed on government assistance. (Not unemployment benefits) those are the ones I'm talking about.  

The unemployment rate is currently at 4.9%

Try again.

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

The unemployment rate is currently at 4.9%

Try again.

3 hours ago, cnbengal said:

U.s dept of labor - men age 18 to 19- 16.2%, age 20 to 24- 9.8% and that is only based on those who applied for unemployment benefits, it doesn't take into account the people whos benefit that has run out.   welfare is a completely different stat.

I dont think that those who have given up looking for a job are counted as unemployed either which is probably millions.  And probably even worse are the millions of underemployed....those who want to work full time but can only find a part time job.  Those dont get counted either.  Most economic sites that discuss these other unemployment stats estimate the "real" unemployment level at least 2X the BLS stats.

Archived