Congratulations President Trump

Jason

On 1/7/2017 at 7:59 AM, T-Dub said:

I still find it fucked up & kind of scary how much people seem to admire Putin.  I also think it's undeniable that he tried to influence our election, as we do theirs & whoever else's, and I seriously doubt ol' Vlad wants what is best for America.

Like you said, what's done is done. We're entering the consequences phase now. So here's my question; at what point do the Trump faithful start abandoning ship?

I'm not so sure that it's an actual admiration for Putin by (at least) thinking folks. He does deserve respect as an artful politician and geopolitician, but it's a kind of adversarial, grudging respect that one might have of any competent opponent.

I think one has to look at the negative space here. We need to grapple with the fact that a large segment of our population no longer has any faith in what we might loosely describe as the American way of politics. When the rule of law is suborned by the rule of personality, and then the personalities offered as our choices for leadership are are so blatantly unworthy of respect or trust, then the political landscape is ripe for an outsider. There's not a doubt in my mind that had Sanders (who is also an outsider) been the nominee, that a lot of the disillusioned voters who cast their ballots for Trump would have instead voted for him.

Nice case study for examining "good" populism versus "bad" populism.

Will folks turn on Trump? Don't know. But there will surely be a lot of unhappiness over the next four years. It all comes down to a perverted sort of tautology: the problem with ignorant people is that they don't know they are ignorant. So, a lot of folks double-down when they ought to be assessing potential changes. That applies to both sides of the aisle, as we see in this post-election period.

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/230291302-story

WASHINGTON - A cannabis-legalization group is giving away thousands of marijuana joints in protest of the inauguration of Donald Trump.

The D.C. Cannabis Coalition calls the event the #Trump420 demonstration and says they’ll hand out 4,200 joints as they parade from DuPont Circle to the National Mall.

Archived