Congratulations President Trump

Jason

10 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

More like Adolf Twittler amirite

So do we need to wait and see how many white immigrants (yes those are a thing) show up on these lists before we revisit the "Our President is a vile, racist shitbag" question?

On that note, how can he say our immigration process isn't tough enough when he's seen first hand what Melania was willing to do for citizenship?

On 1/25/2017 at 10:31 PM, MichaelWeston said:

I have no well thought out views. I don't know much about the TPP or NAFTA. What I do know is the economists that I talk to say that these deals are great because they won't lower wages and the country is better off in the long run because it opens markets to what we are selling and improves the buying power of other countries so we end up with a net gain economically. 

Send this to your economist friends...

4 hours ago, Homer_Rice said:

Send this to your economist friends...

You are ignoring the point of these types of trade deals. Sure there are some problems. But the argument is that for growth we can also look outside of the US. That doesn't mean that every single industry will consistently make it. It doesn't mean that people won't be hurt. It just means that smart people think these trade deals are good things. Acting like they are some completely terrible thing isn't fair. 

30 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

You are ignoring the point of these types of trade deals. Sure there are some problems. But the argument is that for growth we can also look outside of the US. That doesn't mean that every single industry will consistently make it. It doesn't mean that people won't be hurt. It just means that smart people think these trade deals are good things. Acting like they are some completely terrible thing isn't fair. 

That's what you got from reading that? Hrm.  I must have missed something because outside of the context in which it was posted it read like a guy bemoaning the stereotype of Trump's supporters in the South/Midwest while implying people living on the coasts (like Fresno?) are all wealthy, effete & disconnected liberals.

58 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

That's what you got from reading that? Hrm.  I must have missed something because outside of the context in which it was posted it read like a guy bemoaning the stereotype of Trump's supporters in the South/Midwest while implying people living on the coasts (like Fresno?) are all wealthy, effete & disconnected liberals.

I was speaking to my earlier point about the TPP and NAFTA. 

14 hours ago, oldschooler said:

Eh, not really a "Muslim ban".  The most populous Islamic country in the world is Indonesia. Think Trump could find it on a map?

Not about national security either, considering Saudi Arabia isn't on the list, nor the UAE, Egypt, or Lebanon. That's where all the 9/11 hijackers came from, if you recall (mostly SA).

This move is knee-jerk xenophobia at best, if not simple racism with no real justification at all.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Not about national security either, considering Saudi Arabia isn't on the list, nor the UAE, Egypt, or Lebanon. That's where all the 9/11 hijackers came from, if you recall (mostly SA).

This move is knee-jerk xenophobia at best, if not simple racism with no real justification at all.

Even if this is just a coincidence, this is part of the problem of him refusing to put his business interestes in a blind trust.   This looks like a decision to further his business interests, even though it may be a pure coincidence.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-trump-immigration-ban-conflict-of-interest/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-muslim-ban-excludes-countries-linked-businesses-article-1.2957956

His proposed list doesn’t include Muslim-majority countries where his Trump Organization has done business or pursued potential deals. Properties include golf courses in the United Arab Emirates and two luxury towers operating in Turkey.

SAUDI ARABIA

Not much is known about Trump’s connection to the Saudis. Yet, the little bit of information that is available raises a number of questions.

U.N. agencies urge Trump to allow refugees entry

Trump registered eight companies tied to hotel interests in the country shortly after launching his campaign in August 2015, according to The Washington Post. The companies were registered under such names as THC Jeddah Hotel and DT Jeddah Technical Services; company names The Post reported bore striking resemblance to ones Trump has registered in other foreign countries.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/25/511655106/as-trump-hotels-expand-trump-club-also-raises-fees-and-eyebrows

Both brands and any others we create will have a domestic emphasis for the next four or eight years," Danziger told the audience.

On Jan. 11, Trump announced that while he would maintain ownership of his business empire, he'd address ethical concerns by turning over day-to-day operations to his two adult sons.

That plan fails to end concerns that Trump could profit from his presidency, according to law professor Kathleen Clark, a government ethics expert at Washington University in St. Louis.

Even when his sons manage the operations, the wealth stays in the Trump family, she notes.

"This demonstrates how inadequate and frankly laughable Trump's plan for conflicts of interest is so far," she said. "Trump plans to exploit the power and prestige of the presidency for his own financial benefit," she added.

And Trump critics can point to another example of how the presidency is enriching the Trump Organization: Mar-a-Lago, Trump's club in Palm Beach, Fla., this month doubled the cost of membership.

Archived